NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What should your Amazon weigh?

GoDiego

After my last thread about Diego's eating habits, I thought it was best to start monitoring his weight. I've been told that with Amazon's it's best to do it weekly as their diet and weight is crucial to their overall lifespan and health.

Just in case others were not aware on how much their Amazons should weigh this is the weights I have found:

Double-yellow-headed Amazon - 450 to 650 grams

Blue-fronted Amazon - 275 to 510 grams (avg. 400 to 430 grams)

Yellow-naped Amazon - 480 to 680 grams

I sourced this information from a great web page dedicated to the weight of the most commonly own parrots, for other parrot weights, visit http://prettybirds.net/Weight.htm

Ok, off now to weigh Diego, will let you all know how well he's doing :)

I also used the kitchen scales, it is flat topped so I just put a large plate on it and Diego was happy to hop onto it, albeit for a short time. I'm thinking of a way that I can make a little perch that will sit on the top of it. I will try and get a photo of Diego being weighed but he does not hang around for long so not sure if I'm quick enough with the camera LOL

Hi,

I just ordered a digital scale with precision to 1 gram. However i was just now telling my wife about it and she called me 'dumb'..LOL . In fact we have a Bimby (i don´t now if you have it with the same name), which is a Kitchen device for cooking and other multifuncional purposes and functions, and one of those functions is a precision scale...LOL!!