NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tipping water bowl over

oozie

My new cages came with lock rings... thank you, thank you. But, I have an old King's Cage stainless cup that locks down into it's ring. Also, I have a plastic one that the bottom of the cup locks on top of a slotted base. I've seen them at pet stores in the dog department. They use this type of dish in the carriers & cages. Very nice design for the bird cage, too.

This suggestion might cause many on the forum to faint, but I use water bottles on all my cages. I prefer the better quality Lixit bottles, as they have stainless mounting hardware that is impossible for curious beaks to remove.

I do, however, place a heavy crock with water in two or three times a week for a nice splash bath.

I'm really sorry to be ignorant, but I have no idea what the pros and cons of a water bottle would be. I hadn't even considered them....until I got a somewhat soggy back carrying Pippa in her adventure pack! *goes off in search of existing threads*

I tried the Lixit bottle for almost a week, because I was hoping the water would stay cleaner and I wouldn't have to change it everyday and waste all the bottled water. But, after the first day I decided to open the bottle and smell the water which appeared to be clean, and it stunk! So I cleaned it out and tried it again, and the same thing. I think what was happening was Babalu would carry his food over to the bottle, eat, then drink. I think there must have been some backwash or something. So since I had to empty the bottle anyway everyday, I switched back to the crock. I have seen many bird stores using bottles though. That was my experience though.

• 3 weeks later...