NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Body Handling/Getting Frisky

Tweedle

I wonder whether anyone can advise me on how to work on body handling with Pippa without 'leading her on!'

I've been watching various videos, including aviator harness ones on youtube, and it looks as if working on Pippa letting me touch her and move her wings etc would be a good thing. However, I've also read that touching your bird in such a way that stimulates courting behaviour could result in one very frustrated parrot. (You bought me flowers, took me to dinner, and that's IT?!?!)

At the moment, Pippa will step up, happily from the very top of her cage, grudgingly from other places, and not at all from within the cage, so I'm very aware that I've got to work on these basics and building trust there first, and not try and walk before I can run. Or fly before I can flap. Or whatever.

I can move Pippa away from her cage/play area, but before long she will fly back to the security of her base. Although she likes peanuts and tickles, she would much rather have them in her safe place.

Pippa LOVES having her head scratched, more than peanuts even. She will also let me stroke her back, when I have asked politely first. But head scratches soon result in head bobbing, mouthing and what I would call 'carressing' my fingers, though she hasn't (thankfully) actually regurgitated Harrison's onto me. If I let her continue doing this, it turns into a leaning forward squat with wings slightly raised, that looks like a 'mount me, mount me' plea with some very cute squeeks.

Now it's all very flattering, and there is nothing about these natural behaviours that bothers ME, but I don't want to do anything detrimental to her overall happiness.

I wonder what you would all advise in terms of which behaviours are permissable and which should be discouraged, in terms of her wellbeing. How can I factor this in to training for handling, so that I might eventually be able to consider introducing a harness?

Is her keenness to be in her own 'area' a common grey trait, or a function of her life in her previous home, or her disabilities, or just my not having put enough work in? Should I just let her stick to the areas she is happy with, or would it really be worth aiming to expand her horizons? (though I know it would have to be done in a way, and at a rate, acceptable to her)

Lots of rambling questions I know, please send me in the direction of existing threads if more appropriate, but I'm really looking forward to hearing all your thoughts.

Hi, these are opinion only, what we believe. You have a speical baby, "I'll call a Angel Grey.". She act's alot like our rescue Joey, you have to let her move at her own pace, and when she rewards you, it's wonderful.. When you handle her, do it "matter of factly" 'Ok let me check your wings" etc. only occasionally a upper back scratch or wing pet, we do that as the last pet before leaving. Stop before she starts the head bobbing, you stop and give her a special treat, this works for us. Don't make touching a play time, no treats, only rewards and treats for head, harness training etc. When are rescue birds are in their cage's it's their home, period!Let her tell you when she whats to travel from her home base, Joey just started this 3 days ago. Please read Joeys story, http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190309-A-note-on-Punishment-and-your-Parrot/page3 #26.

Thanks Jayd

There's so much you can teach us!!!!

Edited by Jayd

Can I ask, do you find your bird more inclined to get frisky at certain times of day? We seem to be progressing with headscratches and wing touches in the morning, without any head bobbing creeping in. But the last couple of evenings, I only need to TALK to her to get her doing her little dance :eek:

I can't remember who posted it where, but I read the other day about someone playing the body parts game with their bird - I think that's great! I've started doing it with Pippa - Beaky! Head, Neck, Wiiiiiings!, Toes. I've been suprised how well she's taking it, but I am being soooooo careful. It's a delicate balancing act - push too much when she's not in the mood and she will run away, touch too much when she is IN THE MOOD (nudge nudge) and I'll get more than I bargained for!

Edited by Tweedle