NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need some help!

tagurit

Ok so the day has finally come that we are picking up our tag and we have to take him back to the shop in 2-3 days to be weighed in, can anyone give me advice on how to keep his weight up he is 4 1/2 months and they still feed him formula during the day. What would be a good regimen and how should we introduce him to the new home?

Why do you ask? Is something wrong with the bird? What makes you think something is amiss with the weight? Formula feeding has nothing to do with keeping the weight regular or high. It has to do with feeding the proper food at the proper time and then weaning. When a bird starts refusing a certain amount of formula, that means that other food is added and the amount of formula feedings is decreased. That's referred to as weaning. Unless you're buying an unhealthy bird, there should be no weight problem. A CAG or TAG weighs more as a baby and as it gets older the weight decreases and that happens when the bird is regularly active. A TAG should be around 315 to 230 gms at the full growth depending upon body size.

Regimen? that's basically feeding the bird all he wants whenever he wants and giving a mixed diet.

Introduce to the house?--Well, you first bring him home, put him in a cage, let him get used to his new home, don't be sticking your fingers in the cage and annoying him as he gets used to things. Talk to him, relax around him and let him see what the the daily habits are in the house.

I may be wrong here but I get the feeling that you're buying a bird without learning basic information first. A person can't guess about what to do with a bird and then learn all about the basics after the fact.

Edited by Dave007

Yea, coming home!!!!!! Your doing grey't, please, always ask questions to you hearts content. Spock didn't stop his formula till after 20 weeks, it's good for them, give you baby a variety of new foods to find out what baby will like, The baby's yours, love-em and welcome him to his new home, make a big fuss and let him settle in, change things you notice he might not like, a toy, etc....http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189769-Abundent-Feeding!&highlight=abundent+feeding

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190462-We-Feed-Our-Fid-s!!!-Update

Keep reading and asking questions!!!!!!

Thanks

Jayd

Edited by Jayd

Nothing is wrong with him the bird store just prefers to have you bring him back in 2-3 days just want to make sure I am doing everything right by him! Thanks Jayd I will keep you posted he has been home 2 hours so far so good and I promise I will post pic:)

@ Dave my post was to get more info on how to keep kodi's weight balanced and somehow you find it to come at my neck!!! A simple post thats so innocent your go off and ridicule me in a smart way and second guess my knowledge...Anyway I have witnessed you do this before and I thought this forum was meant to ask question no matter what they are. You did a great job making me feel right at home kudos to you..

Nothing is wrong with him the bird store just prefers to have you bring him back in 2-3 days just want to make sure I am doing everything right by him! Thanks Jayd I will keep you posted he has been home 2 hours so far so good and I promise I will post pic:)

;)That's Geryt, so happy for you,:D Please do, we love up-dates and photos, and questions, were here for you....Jayd, Maggie, Spock and the Flock!

@ Dave my post was to get more info on how to keep kodi's weight balanced and somehow you find it to come at my neck!!! A simple post thats so innocent your go off and ridicule me in a smart way and second guess my knowledge...Anyway I have witnessed you do this before and I thought this forum was meant to ask question no matter what they are. You did a great job making me feel right at home kudos to you..

well im with you on that one tagurit, i have noticed this before myself, i dont doubt the guys knowledge on greys but i cant help thinking he could come across a little better, he is a mod after all

well im with you on that one tagurit, i have noticed this before myself, i dont doubt the guys knowledge on greys but i cant help thinking he could come across a little better, he is a mod after all

Normally I don't respond to anything that could lead to drama or trouble on the board but this one struck a nerve with me. I have to agree with both of you on this one. I have also noticed this. I feel his knowledge is vast but the way he sometimes expresses that knowledge leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think he intentionally comes across that way at times though.

To All,

Please realize that Dave has decades or experience in breeding and rescuing. During this time, he has probably answered well over a 100,000 questions and responded. I suspect his questioning somethings sometimes is a normal thing to do, because when an unexperienced parrot owner asks a question, it probably raises a 1000 in Daves mind and he wants to make sure that perhaps there is not an underlying problem and also that he gets all the information neccesary to properly answer all facets of the question.

I can tell you, when the rest of us are stumped, missed something or got it wrong, Dave always comes through. We each have different personalities and writing styles. I am guilty myself of just banging out a quick answer on the keyboard and not paying attention to how it may sound or come across. I believe we all have those times. Unfortunately, we cannot not see the persons face or hear their tonal flucuations in their voice to temper the tone and true way something is said. I cannot count the times I have offended someone by shooting off an email. Of course once I was advised of the person being miffed, I explained my intent and all was well.

If Dave was really angry or just being gruff, I can tell you his writing style is very aggressive and you would know with out a doubt he was correcting or reviling you. :)

His post reads normal to me for Dave and is just in the "Matter of Fact" way he writes and asks questions when neccesary.

Reading the post that started this thread, I too thought perhaps the petstore had sent home a baby that had a possible health issue they were concerned about. I believe Dave saw that right off the bat as well and thus the questions and comments.

We have had some sad times here with owners excitedly bringing home their new baby grey and have it die in a few weeks or month later. Talk about heartache and pain. Then add on top of that the breeder or petshop owner then claiming it must have been something the new owner had done and not refunding the money just adds insult to injury.

Thus, my summation of what I suspect Dave was thinking. His post was 100 percent spot on, as they always are.

It is good to hear that the petshop is a good one and just wanting to make sure the baby is flourishing and probably also to see if the new owners have any questions they need answered, I wish all petshops were that way! Most aren't.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you understand why Dave may come across as some think he does here. :)

Edited by danmcq

Thanks Dan,

it is always better to get a more in depth feel for someone through another who has known that person for a long time. As I mentioned in my post, I don't think he intentionally comes across that way most of the time, it just reads that way at times.

To All,

Please realize that Dave has decades or experience in breeding and rescuing. During this time, he has probably answered well over a 100,000 questions and responded. I suspect his questioning somethings sometimes is a normal thing to do, because when an unexperienced parrot owner asks a question, it probably raises a 1000 in Daves mind and he wants to make sure that perhaps there is not an underlying problem and also that he gets all the information neccesary to properly answer all facets of the question.

I can tell you, when the rest of us are stumped, missed something or got it wrong, Dave always comes through. We each have different personalities and writing styles. I am guilty myself of just banging out a quick answer on the keyboard and not paying attention to how it may sound or come across. I believe we all have those times. Unfortunately, we cannot not see the persons face or hear their tonal flucuations in their voice to temper the tone and true way something is said. I cannot count the times I have offended someone by shooting off an email. Of course once I was advised of the person being miffed, I explained my intent and all was well.

If Dave was really angry or just being gruff, I can tell you his writing style is very aggressive and you would know with out a doubt he was correcting or reviling you. :)

His post reads normal to me for Dave and is just in the "Matter of Fact" way he writes and asks questions when neccesary.

Reading the post that started this thread, I too thought perhaps the petstore had sent home a baby that had a possible health issue they were concerned about. I believe Dave saw that right off the bat as well and thus the questions and comments.

We have had some sad times here with owners excitedly bringing home their new baby grey and have it die in a few weeks or month later. Talk about heartache and pain. Then add on top of that the breeder or petshop owner then claiming it must have been something the new owner had done and not refunding the money just adds insult to injury.

Thus, my summation of what I suspect Dave was thinking. His post was 100 percent spot on, as they always are.

It is good to hear that the petshop is a good one and just wanting to make sure the baby is flourishing and probably also to see if the new owners have any questions they need answered, I wish all petshops were that way! Most aren't.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you understand why Dave may come across as some think he does here. :)

I understand what you are trying to say and I am not disagreeing with you, its good you know dave but everyone does not know him as you do we are here learning and its great you can breakdown how he feels but again we all are learning and even though you can't here tones and expressions you can feel words. I am not here to argue, fuss, or fight I am here with my fids best interest at heart. That post was just general questions i had not to be cross examined or feel like i did something wrong.Its not what you say its how its said and he came off very sharp which in my opinion was uncalled for. yes he may have tons of experience but that does not give any right for anyone to just sit on edge ready to attack!

He said how he felt and I sure cant change who he is nor would I try! It just makes you think 2 before you post because someone may take it all the wrong way and thats not good because some important or really dum questions may go unasked. This has turned into a Dave post and I would like it to end here that was not purpose of the post.

Kodi sure looks like a lil cutie pie :)

I can't wait to hear about your baby grow and learn. I don't think you will have any issues with the weigh in and such. Just offer good wholesome foods and clean water. Keep an eye on Kodi to make sure the food is being eaten. I am sure the pet store where you got Kodi will let you know if something is amiss.

Please feel free to post any and ALL questions. We are always ready to help when we can. Lots of different people on here with different styles and such, so I am sure the advice you get will be varied. Just find what works for you and Kodi and all will be good.

Below you will see what I posted over in another thread this morning....

"Here I have different schedules for different birds.

My outside birds are fed as follows:

Morning feed they get their mash.

Noon they get their pellets.

Evening I add some seed to the remaining pellets as a treat.

My indoor birds get fed as follows:

Pellets available at all times.

Afternoon feed they get their veggies

Evening I add a few seeds to their pellets as a treat.

My outdoor bird's dishes are open to ant invasion, so I have found that I can't leave a dish of pellets out for them 24/7. The schedule I have for them seems to be working well though and every one of them is healthy and happy."

Kodi sure looks like a lil cutie pie :)

I can't wait to hear about your baby grow and learn. I don't think you will have any issues with the weigh in and such. Just offer good wholesome foods and clean water. Keep an eye on Kodi to make sure the food is being eaten. I am sure the pet store where you got Kodi will let you know if something is amiss.

Thank you

Please feel free to post any and ALL questions. We are always ready to help when we can. Lots of different people on here with different styles and such' date=' so I am sure the advice you get will be varied. Just find what works for you and Kodi and all will be good.

Below you will see what I posted over in another thread this morning....

[i']"Here I have different schedules for different birds.

My outside birds are fed as follows:

Noon they get their pellets.

Evening I add some seed to the remaining pellets as a treat.

My indoor birds get fed as follows:

Pellets available at all times.

Afternoon feed they get their veggies

Evening I add a few seeds to their pellets as a treat.

My outdoor bird's dishes are open to ant invasion, so I have found that I can't leave a dish of pellets out for them 24/7. The schedule I have for them seems to be working well though and every one of them is healthy and happy."[/i]

Thank you lisa for that regimen thats all I was really asking for to begin with. I keep watching kodi and he is not eating much, last night when we bought him home he played all around his new home he seemed very excited we offered him some of the dry blend the shop gave us he ate a little not much, then this morning we prepared him some cooked food (asian medley) he has not touched it yet or his dry food. The pet store has a policy they want everyone to bring the bird back 3 days after you take them home just to check the weight. Anyway I will just keep offering him the food, my concerns is I have not seen him dive into his bowl yet and it just concerns me a little.

tagurit, mine at the moment is only 11 weeks old, eating pellets & fruit, not thet keen on veg at the min tho, she loves pommegranites lol, but i just let her get on with it, there is always a lot of choice for her , i dont want her being fussy later !!