NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pepper's beak peeling and not looking good?

Brittany

Does this look okay? We are a bit concerned, no vets are open. Don't want to rush him to an emergency vet if it is nothing.

It looks a bid odd to us and not right. We have seen a few flaking pieces, not too much though. Obviously we are not sure if this is serious, so thanks for any input.

Not sure if these are good enough pictures. Thanks

2ni5zww.jpg

311klqs.jpg

That's not quite normal. There shouldn't be so much white area. Beaks peel but still stay black or a very dark scratchy gray color. On the other hand, your bird could have been rubbing againt rough surfaces at the same time he losing the top layer. And, as you said, the whole thing could be diagnosed incorrectly because of the photo quality. Keep an eye on that area and if those white areas don't start darkening, go to the vet and have it checked. Exact answers can't be given here about a possible medical situation.

Babalu's beak use to have a big edge on it, or like a little step going up towards his nose, very uneven... hard to explain, hope you get what Im saying, hehehe. Anyway, it looked similar with the white but not as much as Pepper's. When I took him to a bird store I asked the owner his opinion on if I needed to have it filed down, they said no and recomened the sandy perch. So I got the sandy corner perch and he has smoothed it all out himself over a few weeks.

Do you give your parrot calcium suppliments at all? I have crushed oyster shells in a treat bowl for mine. Apparently they have calcium deficencies(?) which can make beak growth slower.... Saying that Kaan still has a little bit of beak peeling but not so much.