NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

diet routine

Tigerlily

If I may, It depends, yes and no, we keep fresh foods in abundance at all times, but remove and replace for freshness, dry foods,[pellets, seeds, millet etc, we remove and replace as needed, we only keep most dry foods 1 day. Expensive? yes, but far cheaper that a Vet visit and medicines. We feed 2 warm meals a day, so feeding is on a routine.[ Fid's love routine] We also have set wake-up [always dawn] and bedtimes.[12-14hr's later]

Thanks

Jayd

Edited by Jayd

The one thing that may strike you immediately about this feeding schedule is that, unlike people, parrots don’t eat lunch. We eat three meals a day for the most part, but parrots don’t need this noon time meal. If you try to feed your bird at this hour, he more than likely will refuse to eat. If you didn’t know that noon time wasn’t a part of their normal eating pattern, you may assume that your bird just doesn’t like the foods you’re trying to feed him.

Cooked foods are anything but natural to your bird. Parrots live naturally in the wild, where they eat foods that are solely fresh, live foods. Their systems still require this type of food. Raw foods contain an abundance of enzymes, as well as essential fatty acids, not to mention phytonutrients. Cooking, unfortunately, destroys many of the nutritious substances.

Here I have different schedules for different birds.

My outside birds are fed as follows:

Morning feed they get their mash.

Noon they get their pellets.

Evening I add some seed to the remaining pellets as a treat.

My indoor birds get fed as follows:

Pellets available at all times.

Morning feed they get their mash.

Afternoon feed they get their veggies

Evening I add a few seeds to their pellets as a treat.

My outdoor bird's dishes are open to ant invasion, so I have found that I can't leave a dish of pellets out for them 24/7. The schedule I have for them seems to be working well though and every one of them is healthy and happy.

I'm sorry, Craftsmasters, I don't know where you came up with this? Are your post's exerts from your book? were real people here!!! Your quotes are lacking, there's always something missing!!! As I asked before, How old are your Grey's, How long have you had them? Jayd P.S. A good book for you to read would be "Maggie Wrights"

Edited by Jayd

Craftmaster says that cooked foods are anything but natural in the wild and I totally agree with her. That was a very obviously correct simple statement. Can you name any foods that are cooked in the wild that parrots eat? *there's always something missing!!* Exactly what is missing in the food in the wild that makes those birds unhealthier than captive birds who eat different concoctions of food cooked by human beings? Some cooked foods may be good for parrots but only by accidental discovery and experimentation and the act of cooking is definitely not natural and it's true that cooking certain foods will kill off some nutrients that parrots need and I'll say that giving cooked food is fine. A cooked potato is definitely not as nutritious as a raw potato where parrots are concerned. I definitely don't think that cooked foods give a parrot something more healthier than they can get in the wild. What they eat outdoors provides them with everything they need not only to survive but also to be superb specimens of their species. It's survival of the fittest and that starts with good natural nutrition. All the bells and whistles are provided by people but it still isn't on a par with what they eat outdoors simply because it doesn't exist in the wild. Some of their natural food outdoors is something people can't eat unless it's prepared for human consumption. That also applies to other wild birds in the wild and they're not even parrots. As a matter of fact parrots eat other types of live food which is completely nutritious such as bugs and seeds that are in droppings. People don't feed bugs to their birds. They dig into the ground and find very nutritious things because nature has made them scavengers. You own sick birds? Well, they didn't get sick in the wild. So, don't make it sound like what a captive parrot is getting food wise in a house is better than what the non captive bird is getting in the wild.

And as far as reading Maggie Wright, well she may differ with Jane Hallander who in turn may differ with Bobby Brinker who in turn may differ with Mattie Sue Athan who in turn may differ with Judy Leach.

All are supposed to be experts.

No matter what studies vets are involved in, none will say that what parrots eat in the wild is not as healthy as our designer foods just like you won't hear vets say that the vultures that are flying around and swooping down and eating decayed, days old, smelly rotted carcasses of other animals aren't getting a nutritious diet.

I'm glad you told her that we're real people here. I'm sure that Craftmaster is a real person just like the rest of us.

I don't agree with Craftsmasters statement about amount of times my birds eat a day. My statement, *there's always something missing!!* [if you'd care to reread it] is clearly about here "Exerts" I feel like her posts are clips from a book, which they are, or like a form letter, I've asked her what kind of parrots she owned, a couple of times, receiving no reply. I gave her a name of my favorite author who has a different style of writing. At no point did I criticize or make a negative statement about her feelings about food! Any one on this forum, or any one that knows me, knows my feelings about "Fresh Foods" and cooked foods.

The rest of your post about wild bird eating habits was really good and informative to those members who are unaware of it, my reply had nothing to do with that. My last statement "Real people" was honest and to the point, most of us on this forum want answer from the heart, if we wanted answers from a book we could by the book, I have her book, and it's very good!!! Sir, your considered by most all of us here,to be the "Resident Expert", I for one look up to you, and I'm truly sorry I have to disagree with you on this...

Jayd

Edited by Jayd
seplling