NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Did You Know?

Jayd

:cool:Did You Know? African Grey's, in their natural habitat, follow Elephants, Then then pick and eat the seeds that have started spouting in the Elephants droppings. The enzymes in the Elephants digestive system, starts the sprouting process, this means the seeds Grey's eat in the wild are far superior in nutrients then what we feed our Greys. Sprouting???:confused:

Jayd

Did not know. That's very interesting. I have to admit I haven't gotten into the sprouting yet. I bought a nifty little sprouting kit, but haven't tried it yet. Are you sprouting? What seeds, etc. do you recommend for sprouting?

Thank You. We've sprouted off and on for many years, of late we've used a new method, I'll explain shortly. Sprouting is a excellent and safe way to boost you Greys diet, Mung beans being one of the easiest things to sprout and grey't for our birds. Excellent site on Sprouting for Gre'ys...http://www.africangreys.com/articles/nutrition/sprouted.htm

• Sprouts! My African Grey, lovebird and cockatiel LOVE their sprouts. Sprouted or germinated seeds are usually more easily accepted by "seed addicts" than fresh fruits and vegetables.
    • Sprouted seeds are healthier as the sprouting changes and enhances the nutritional quality and value of seeds and grains. Sprouted seeds are lower in fat, as the process of sprouting utilizes the fat in the seed to start the growing process - thus reducing the fat stored in the seeds.
    • Sprouted seeds will help balance your bird’s diet by adding a nutritious supply of high in vegetable proteins, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and chlorophyll.
    • Soaked and germinated "oil" seeds, like niger and rape seeds, and sunflower seed, are rich in protein and carbohydrates; while "starch" seeds, such as canary and millets, are rich in carbohydrates, but lower in protein.
    • It is an invaluable food at all times; however, it is especially important for breeding or molting birds.

What we do now is what we call "Short Sprout" We sprout for 8-12 hours, just till the sprout appears, at this time we rinse them in "Organic Apple Cider Vinegar" Note:Don't use GSF at this time, and feed them to our birds. The sprouts are sweeter and just as good as 3 day sprouting, the longer the tail gets, the more bitter it is. What we use is :TOP Organic Seed Mixes Thanks Jayd

I have started sprouting, but on a very small scale!! I was recomended to try almonds, they are real fast but turn sour after a few hours but Rene inhales the few I do for him! I am going to get a sprouting kit just to try some beans and see how it works cause Rene won't eat beans any other way :(

I think Rene is the exception to every rule! I got him to eat a few times, I have started at the top of the safe food list worked my down and back.. everything he shakes his head at (literally!)... Cinnamon sticks dipped in yogurt are his fav treat but only when he feels like it once or twice every couple of weeks.. such a brat lol, sprouted almonds as long as they aren't too soft he enjoys but I do maybe 6 of them at a time so its a treat maybe once a week he gets them all day :) Im working on foods and going to be brave and try sprouting all seeds, I just added this to my cart I will have to order it next week :)http://www.sproutpeople.com/birds.html

Hey there, Jayd! Thanks for the very interesting bit of information! Isn't it something when a creature figures out if they follow/hang out with/live near another creature, that their own lives get better in some way? Nature is amazing!

I have sprouted for my birds and my grey's favorites are mung bean sprouts and garbanzo bean sprouts. She also greatly enjoys any other sprout I've offered her, and chows down on them. Then the leftovers become fun toys! Whoohoo! Fling those little heavy beans with cute little spiraly tails! What fun!

There are two or three beans which are apparently unsafe for parrots, including the sprouted form, however. I never give my parrots Navy beans or lima beans, even sprouted, for these reasons. (I am not at home right now so I cannot check what the two or three beans to NOT feed your birds are, but I'm sure it's easily researched or perhaps someone else will reply with that info.)

By the way, sprouts are incredibly healthy and full of life, and good for us, too! Try some! You'll be amazed at the differences in flavor amongst sprouted beans and seeds. (And the sprouted form often bears no resemblance in taste to the mature plant, by the way. For example, broccoli sprouts are peppery but broccoli the vegetable is mild and sweet and not peppery at all.) Sprinkle some over a salad or eat them as a side dish or out-of-hand.

All these responses are grey't, please keep them coming. Yes >^..^< ,the beans you mentioned especially lg Lima beans are/can be toxic. Anasazi, Black, Fava, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto, and Soy. I won't even serve them cooked, My opinion!!

Jayd