NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A little help for a new mom

Oscars Mom

I have a couple of questions - I have been going through the forum and appreciate all the wonderful advise found so far - the recipes are great and although I don't cook for my real boys :o - Oscar is getting some amazing treats. So now my questions:

1. we purchased a beautiful aluminum cage and the sales clerk told us not to put the grate in the bottom of the cage as the bird (any bird) could hurt themselves on the grate - if this is true, why is the grate there?

2. Oscar is currently 17 weeks old - at the moment happy and seemingly content, only gets a bit nasty when he is over tired. I have read that the 10 hour rule for sleeping through the night is pretty important, although he is alone through the day for anywhere between 4 - 6 hours - the rest of the time, including the evenings he is with a minimum of two people, two dogs and an Indian Ringneck :) - so what I'm trying to say is that his family interaction in the evening is pretty busy.... should we be putting him in another room for a full 10 hours per night sleep or is 8 hours a night fine and then the ability to sleep through the day when he is alone? Thoughts? :)

3. When it comes to his fruit and veggies, he eats pretty much anything! Which we love, he has pellets in his cage at all times and on his play stand - so my third question is how much is too much? Will a CAG stop eating when he is full as this seems to be the case now - we just want to make sure he is getting proper nutrition.

4. Noises / Talking... right now he makes the cutest little peeping sounds, little chirps, just like a baby. When he eats peas (in the pod) he will sometimes hold the pod in his foot and squawk and squeal - just like I thought a parrot would sound - it is so funny because he is typically shy and reserved. He does what we like to call "practice" talking - but he will only do it in his cage when no one is in the room, or he thinks no one is around, again he sounds like a real parrot. Any thoughts on the noises?

Thank you so much for this forum!! I look forward to answers... and by the way, he is fully flighted, is an absolute blast and joy to have in our home!

Your questions are all Grey't!!! You've done a good job of answering them! You baby need's 10 to 12 hours of sleep a day, so he should be alone for that length of time. The Grate on the bottom of the cage is to keep your baby from walking in their poop! leave it in!, keep all the food for him available at all times, they only will eat so much! Except Fruit,they don't need much fruit, a grape or 2 a day is plenty, or a small slice of apple or pear, not much, fruit is all sugar, not good if to much is fed to them.Yes, your baby is practicing... talking...lol