NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need To Find Destructable Toys

Elvenking

I am trying to find some place that either has parts like plastic milk caps, or any plastic item that a grey can pick at and destroy over time. These are the kinds of things that Issac likes, he has to feel like he is getting somewhere with the toy or he gets bored easily. So does anyone know a bird supply place online that sells parts to make toys that are plastic and destructable? Many of the plastic items I find will not surrender to Issac's beak.

Really, Oscar loves the large plastic beads on most of his toys, just to break them off. What about those large plastic soothers that are on a lot of toys. All of those paper toys as well or bottle caps (plastic) i think are ok..as long as they are cleaned ahead of time.

Edited by aeriga

Can't help much with store bought except to suggest that you might get smaller birds' toys. Issac might be able to destroy those more quickly & maybe be more satisfied. Also, treasure boxes & foraging toys aren't so much destroyed as taken apart & so might satisfy him.

I'm big on homemade & there you might find alternatives. Skewering fruit & veggie pieces on a kabob is a naturally "destructive" activity. Paper cups, individual serving fruit cups, coffee filters, Popsicle sticks, Q-tips, straws, Rafi (?) the straw-like stuff, things that are tied onto sisal or leather which is easily chewed apart, baby key rings, cat balls (as long as the bell isn't going to be a problem), telephone books & smallish cardboard boxes or pieces of corrugated cardboard.

I have been experimenting with Lego blocks. I can snap a handful into different colorful shapes, and Moussa has learned that he can work at it and take it apart and then play with the pieces. After a while the pieces get too damaged to snap together, and then you can put some in an empty water bottle or something where they will rattle around. They're not "cheap," but we got a big starter set in a nifty storage box for about $30. My husband plays with them too. :)

The dollar store is our best friend when it comes to small goodies for birdies. Plastic baby spoons, little paper cups, those large black or red serving spoons (you can hook 2 of them on one hangie thing so they make noise), those little brooms that people use to decorate with. There are all kinds of amazing little things in the dollar store. You can get those packs of wiffle balls there too. Birds love those things.

Sorry, didn't mean anything bad, were sure you'll have good luck with birdnest, We've never had problems with either one. Birdnerds apologized for there vacation, 1st in years they said. Sorry!

Maggie, Jayd, Spock and the Flock.

Oh I know :) No worries!!!

I was just anxious to get started on making Loki some new toys is all and wanted my parts now LOL (I can be a tad inpatient at times LOL)

Remember, paper/cardboard that has glue on it is a no-no!

...thanks Jay. Forgot to mention that & a few other ideas when I flew by this am.

Looks like most of the other things got covered. But, Phenix & Charm were mad for the smallest size Kong's for the longest while. So, I thought I'd suggest it for Isaac, too.

Hi there, Elvenking,

I heard about something called VECTA blocks and was told they are available at "finer" toy stores (whatever that means!) and have been keeping an eye out for them ever since. The VECTA blocks are apparently similar to Legos in that they come in a kit and a nice carrying case and can be attached in many a different way. They are apparently very interesting to birds, and even to birds who had previously rejected Legos.

I agree with the others who mentioned the dollar type stores. I've bought many items from there and either made my own toys or "juiced up" some of the existing toys. My birds love to destroy pieces of cardboard puzzles. (I get the simple puzzles for 3-year-old human children and punch a hole in them and string them onto the natural hemp rope from Michael's craft store - Michael's is nationwide, right?) They also love the little plastic toys that children might play with, and delight in pulling the pieces off and tossing them around.

I found a TON of little plastic toys at party stores. I don't remember the names of the stores (one may have been "Party Central" but I am not certain) but they are the big warehousey type stores that supply everything you could want for a party from the plastic cutlery and paper plates to the decorations. They had a huge long aisle of bins of items you could use for party favor baskets, and it was in that aisle that I picked out many of the same items that I see bird toys made of, such as those little spikey rubbery balls, rubber ducks, dice (got a drill?), and a zillion other items.

I have recently discovered the website for California Bird Nerds (cabirdnerds.com), too, as mentioned in another post, and as I recall, they had a header on each page of items for sale stating they return from vacation on July 23. Their prices seemed really reasonable and the supply on that site is endless. Another great site that also seems to have endless items for purchase, and that seems to have very reasonable prices, is makeyourownbirdtoys.com.

I love that you are searching out items that your bird will actually play with. Time and again I come across people who have or had birds and see my birds' cages and say "Wow, your birds sure have a lot of toys!" and then explain that their bird/s "didn't like toys." Well, in my opinion, their birds probably didn't like the ONE toy that they had been presented with and then the owner concluded that their bird/s didn't like toys. What a shame! So I am so glad you have noticed what exactly your bird enjoys and that you are seeking out those items.

Hi there' date=' Elvenking,

I heard about something called VECTA blocks and was told they are available at "finer" toy stores (whatever that means!) and have been keeping an eye out for them ever since. The VECTA blocks are apparently similar to Legos in that they come in a kit and a nice carrying case and can be attached in many a different way. They are apparently very interesting to birds, and even to birds who had previously rejected Legos.

I agree with the others who mentioned the dollar type stores. I've bought many items from there and either made my own toys or "juiced up" some of the existing toys. My birds love to destroy pieces of cardboard puzzles. (I get the simple puzzles for 3-year-old human children and punch a hole in them and string them onto the natural hemp rope from Michael's craft store - Michael's is nationwide, right?) They also love the little plastic toys that children might play with, and delight in pulling the pieces off and tossing them around.

I found a TON of little plastic toys at party stores. I don't remember the names of the stores (one may have been "Party Central" but I am not certain) but they are the big warehousey type stores that supply everything you could want for a party from the plastic cutlery and paper plates to the decorations. They had a huge long aisle of bins of items you could use for party favor baskets, and it was in that aisle that I picked out many of the same items that I see bird toys made of, such as those little spikey rubbery balls, rubber ducks, dice (got a drill?), and a zillion other items.

I have recently discovered the website for California Bird Nerds (cabirdnerds.com), too, as mentioned in another post, and as I recall, they had a header on each page of items for sale stating they return from vacation on July 23. Their prices seemed really reasonable and the supply on that site is endless. Another great site that also seems to have endless items for purchase, and that seems to have very reasonable prices, is makeyourownbirdtoys.com.

I love that you are searching out items that your bird will actually play with. Time and again I come across people who have or had birds and see my birds' cages and say "Wow, your birds sure have a lot of toys!" and then explain that their bird/s "didn't like toys." Well, in my opinion, their birds probably didn't like the ONE toy that they had been presented with and then the owner concluded that their bird/s didn't like toys. What a shame! So I am so glad you have noticed what exactly your bird enjoys and that you are seeking out those items.[/quote']

Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I will have to see if I can get a hold of some of the VECTA blocks, I saw them on Amazon but I thin I will go the cheaper route for now and hit the one dollar and party store. And for sure, I am crazy about my bird. There is nothing too good for him. Thank you for taking the time to recognize that. As far as pets go, sadly, it seems that birds and parrots are the most underappreciated animals. I am glad that I have a bird that will always recieve my best care and attention.