NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help with new family memebers

Streetwise

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. It looks really good and full of info.

Buying African Grey babies in England is a bit of a nightmare. Every dealer tells me different.

I've had a few birds over the years and made too many mistakes but i still love parrots. The first Grey i bought was just from a pet shop he was cheap and he was nasty. Years and years later when i was settled i bought another from a pet shop and was told he was hand reared. He wasn't a really bad bird but hated me and eventually him and the girlfriend ran off together. lol

Anyway another 10 years on the current girlfriend is going mad for a Grey (I don't live with this one). Anyway she got me back into parrots and life is good got my own business etc so the bird can stay with me most of the time.

So now that Ive bored you. Advice please ????

I'm going to buy two. One she will have with her all the time and one for me. (we both have kids)

I think Grey's are still the best choice.

Buying from a breed this time not a pet shop.

How do i choose the best birds ???

Do i want two males if possible ??

Do they want to me out of same nest ??

They will spend time together. We both understand how demanding parrots are so they wont be left out of family life.

One breeder is trying to get us to take two at 8-10 weeks is this a NO NO ??

Please help Ive read and read and read. I really want to get this right this time.

Thanks Chris

****I'm going to buy two. One she will have with her all the time and one for me. (we both have kids)***

Excellent situation. Each of you will get to know your birds without interference or distractions. Each bird needs to form a bond with their owner. 2 birds together won't allow that to happen.

******I think Grey's are still the best choice.******

Very good thinking especially since you've had past experience with greys You get an A for your good choice.

*****Buying from a breed this time not a pet shop.*****

Excellent idea. you'll have more contact with your future housemate and that's the first step in knowing about that individual bird. Pet shops don't usually allow that.

*****How do I choose the best birds ???*****

Many people will say that when you approch a clutch of baby birds, wait for one of them to come to you. Supposedly that will tell a person that the bird likes them. I don't believe this at all. One day, a person can visit a clutch and none of the baby birds may be interested in walking over to anyone or they may just finished eating and may be asleep. Or they may be doing something that's involving each other. The trick is to find a clutch of healthy birds and pick one out. Health is more important than a bird who's walking to you.

*****Do I want two males if possible ??*****

Two males, two females, one male, one female---it doesn't make any difference. One sex isn't better than the other.

******Do they want to me out of same nest ??*****

Don't really understand your question. You're in a nest?

*****They will spend time together. We both understand how demanding parrots are so they wont be left out of family life.*******

That's fine but each must have it's own cage. Two birds in one cage doesn't allow a person to see the full scope and personality of each bird plus because each designs their own home in their individual cage, there's a very good chance that jealousy will show up. Greys are known as jealous birds whether they're related or not.

*****One breeder is trying to get us to take two at 8-10 weeks is this a NO NO ??*****

A BIG NO NO. All baby parrots should be fully weaned before being sold and it takes much longer than 10 weeks to wean them. You may think about putting a deposit on those birds.

Forgive me but if I read carefully, You're from the UK and it's against the law to sell unweaned parrots in the UK. That's what I know and many people here from the UK will say the same thing.

Edited by Dave007

Hello Chris, Dave has given you some excellent advice as he is our resident expert when it comes to greys but do not get unweaned babies for that is best left to those who know what they are doing and besides if you live in England it is illegal to sell unweaned birds.

I am sorry to hear you have had less than happy experiences with greys before but they say the third time is the charm so hopefully it will work out for you.

******Do they want to me out of same nest ??*****

Don't really understand your question. You're in a nest?

Dave I think Chris meant "should they be out of the same nest as in siblings"

Thank you Dave for the sound advice. Sorry for my poor typing and spelling. Yes judy i did mean, is it best to get two bird from the same clutch (nest).

Just to bring this up to date. Found a great lady breeder not miles away from me. Been to see her this morning sat with her and all the birds for a good couple of hours. No way would she let a un weaned bird go, you could tell she realy cares about her birds.

I was unable to pick a bird i could not get any to interact with me. My girlfriend spotted one straight away they where like old friends and she put her name down for him.

I'm a bit worried that me and grey just don't get on. We are back saturday to meet them all again, they wont be ready for a couple of weeks.

Well, you've conquered the first major problem which is to NOT buy unweaned birds. Even in areas where that practice is allowed, it's a terrible thing when breeders try to sell unweaned birds to people. Many people have little experience dealing with the chores involved in the raising of unweaned chicks.

****No way would she let a un weaned bird go, you could tell she realy cares about her birds.*****

The breeder who does that has less of a chance to sell inferior quality birds. The customer walks away very contented. Most of the time, there's no problems and a good breeder will allow you to ask questions way after you've purchased a bird. Most breeders are happy to do that and the customer feels very secure with their purchase.

****I was unable to pick a bird i could not get any to interact with me. *****

I think you're making premature judgements about a bird not taking to you yet. I'd bet anything that after you get a baby bird, your relationship with that bird will flourish very well. Just so that I don't confuse you---that bird that took to her may not be as sweet as he/she grows up. The bird will care for your girlfriend but you need to realize that a grey's personality is constantly changing. They don't stay cuddly all their lives. Basically, as they get older, they become more aloof. That's the nature of greys and that'll happen to your bird too. It has absolutely nothing to do with love or attachments to the owner. Other specoies are exactly the opposite. Some wanna stay on a person 24 hrs a day and that can become a pain in the ass.

***I'm a bit worried that me and grey just don't get on.****

Again, you're worrying too much about the wrong thing. When a bird is separated from a clutch, it's focus is totally on the new owner. Some chicks just feel more comfortable in the beginning when they're in a clutch. It's nothing to do with you.

I never said your spelling was bad----I just wanted to know if you were the one in the nest. Maybe you needed some hand feeding? Were you getting a proper diet??

Thanks again Dave. Yes i think i do need hand feeding. Lol

Just one thing. Are you saying that Greys are not cuddle. Even if I pick him up every day eventually he will get fed up and say no don't pick me up. I am really looking for a bird I really can handle not just step on my hand. Am I expecting to much ?????

Thanks again for your time.

My grey is one who loves to be with me. She loves to be close by but I don't cuddle her all the time. I can lay her on her back in my hand and give her scratches on her head and when I call her she comes flying if she wants to, but she does not like to be confined in my arms or in my hands all the time. Perhaps you should look into having a cockatoo, they want to be someone most of the time and are very dependent.

Some Greys are cuddly forever but more often than not Greys are more of a intellectual type of bird in my opinion. I am not saying they won't allow some snuggles and you loving on them. All I am saying here is that I wouldn't expect to be able to cradle your Grey in your arms and treat it like a baby, rocking it to sleep and such LOL The true "cuddly birds" are your Cockatoo's.

Different species of parrots have different types of personalities which show themselves as a bird gets older. Remember what I said about that clingy bird--I was referring to a Cockatoo. A TOO is happiest if the owner allows the bird to stay on it's shoulder all day long. Many times, keeping that type of bird in a cage all the time creates a psychotic, mean tempered bird who will bite. They will also scream much more and being enclosed will make them seriously pluck.

That's the normal personality. That's why they're called *clingy* birds.

A grey is a different type of bird. When a grey is a baby, he's very cuddly, cute, extremely affectionate. People love that type of bird. As the bird gets older, nature takes over and the true natural personality comes out. As adults, greys can be aloof, not wanna be bothered by lots of things, likes to stay still in or on a cage and the bird looks like it's studying the world's problems. People mistake that aloofnerss and think it's unfriendly. People take it as a personal thing but nothing is happening that has to do with love and affection. As they get older, they show definite signs of independence. It doesn't take much to amuse them. They're also strong willed. When they don't wanna be held, they'll let you know. Again, a person takes that personally and again it has nothing to do with relationships. The growing up process happens to all greys. All the cuddling and touching of different places on a baby becomes a sexual stimulation when done to an older bird and much of that has to be curtailed. THAT is personal. Greys and other species shouldn't be touched in certain areas which can cause sexual stimulation. It doesn't mean that you can't touch or pet the bird.Later on, you'll fing out exactly what to do or not to do if you decide to come back to this board to become part of the family.

Biting-----a grey will bite when some of the things above aren't followed including that sexual stimulation. Compare that to you girlfriend of 25 yrs ago who left you hanging just before the big moment. Pissed you off to no end. Right? Well, do that to a grey often enough and when you stop, the bird will bite you.

****I am really looking for a bird I really can handle not just step on my hand. Am I expecting to much ?????****

A grey is the the type of bird that will give you what you want but not 24 hrs a day. They need their time to themselves in order to amuse themselves, exersise themselves, study things. Basically, they're not *clingy birds* as they grow up. Different species means different personalities. Different species have loads of different personalities and you simply have to deal with one type here. The worst thing that people do when a grey gets older and does the above things is to blame themselves because they feel that the bird doesn't care for them--absolutely untrue.

There's things to be avoided when owning a parrot like putting food in your mouth and letting the parrot eat the other end--eventually, the person gets accidently bitten or the bird can get sick.

Shoulders----some greys can be put on shoulders with no problems. Others will be put on the shoulders and the bird proceeds to bite jewelry, earlobes, collars of shirts and sometimes the skin of a person--does that mean the bird is being nasty or unloving? No. It simply means that a person owns a bird that can't be left on a shoulder. All of this is very natural. There's shoulder birds and non shoulder birds

The good thing about greys is that there's a list called Bird Language which, after being studied, will tell a person all about what the bird is intending to do be it friendliness, not wanting to be bothered, getting ready to bite if a person persists in annoying the bird., wanting to be scratched, held and cuddled . The grey species is one of the few that has this language list.

The grey personality is complex. In the parrot world, they're considered very smart. Some people compare them to very young human children.

There's more to say but for now, these basic things should give you an idea about what you're buying. I don't think you'll have a problem her. After all, I have no idea what you knew about concerning your past greys. I can only speak of the present and the future.

Edited by Dave007
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty happy now. Ive read loads and your replies have been most helpfull. Going to get the silly idea of another Mccaw out of my head. I love Mccaws, but they are just too big for me to take everywhere with me.

Is there any threads on grey forum about water bottles and bird harness.

Thanks Chris

Water bottles---my opinion is that they're not good because water that sits in a bottle will eventually calcify at the bottom where the ball is making the ball a bit stiff and not as moveable. Calcified water isn't good for ant parrot. That's not the type of water they drink in the wild. I really don't think a bottle is a natural thing because some birds like to soak their food in bowls before eating. Yes, it's messy but the water has to be changed 1 or 2 times a day anyway. Some birds won't eat a variety of foods unless they're wet. Some other greys like to jump in the bowl to get a little bath. No matter how many times a person bathes a bird, that bird will do that.

Aviator Harness---in the upper right hand corner, there's a small retangular area with the words--ADVANCED SEARCH under it. Type in Aviator Harness and loads of info will pop up.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks for that Dave i will be sure to check out the advance search. Can i ask another question ?

In the Parrots bill of rights on this site. it say's please don't leave me for any time, i will never recover. Can someone please expand on this for me. I know parrots are a big commitment but there will be occasions when i cant be there. Like in a few weeks time I'm away Saturday till Sunday evening. I have a baby sitter lined up and we will go stop with them. Is this a No No ?

Thanks Chris

I can only say that what's written there has nothing to do with the situation that you're talking about. That's referring to weeks at a time. Going away for a day or two is no big deal if you remember that a person needs to come around and feed and water the bird if you're away for a very long time. Some people overload cages with food and water and the water will go bad after a few days. Dust, dander, dirt can get into the water and on top of the food. If you're gonna be away for 5 to 7 days, you need to have someone look in on the bird, give it what it needs, stay a bit and let the bird know that there's human beings around. Maybe your girlfriend can do that. Loads of parrot owners need to go away for a day or two. What you're referring to is the same as a person who has to leave for 24 hrs or so. So, not to worry, that rule has to do with extremes. What you're talking about isn't extreme. Some people bring a bird to a sitter if they're gonna be gone for a week or more. Others have a trusted friend who will take care of the bird by visiting, feeding.

Chris you are not a pain, asking questions is good and we don't mind answering them so ask away and Dave has been a great help in giving you the answers you need.

I hope you do get some pictures of the babies and share them with us please.

Thanks Judy. We have had a great day today with our babies. I'll post some pics when I get to a computer. We are just looking round at food and treats. Dave I've had a good look round the forum about a harness but I can't find any information on when to introduce it to the bird.

We get our birds next saturday all been well.

Introduce the Aviator Harness when your bird is still a baby--( approx 16/17/18 wks old) The majority of people introducing an older bird ( 1 yr old and older) have very little luck. That doesn't apply to every single older bird but don't take a chance. You can introduce the bird to the harness and not do anything. Just make sure he'll let you put it on and take it off. Older birds can get nasty and most squawk or bite. You should have no problem but expect your bird to be a little obstinent at first.

Ive got loads of photo's just trying to work my way round how to post them. So here we go. Baby Rambo (That may change, see what my son says lol)

picture070z.th.jpg

picture065t.th.jpg

Ive just bought the biggest cage, i want Rambo to have plenty of room when he's at home. Ill post pics of that too.