NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why!? Why!? Why!?

JJsHoney

Alright guys I need your help! Rene has picked up a veeerrry annoying/expensive habit... Every day I refill his pellets and try some foods, well Rene has taken it upon himself to feed my puppy Copper, he goes over to the pellets tosses them out while saying "Copper come here *whistle* Whistle* C'mon boy!" If copper doesn't go over as soon as he hears pellets hitting the cage floor Rene tosses them out and onto the floor for easier eating for the dog UGH!! My solution to this was first not let the dog over by the cage.. yuh that didn't work pellets got tossed further from cage to reach dog.. Then I bought a clip on food cup and put it on the other side of the cage put pellets there.. nope didn't work So I left one empty thinking maybe he likes hearing himself in his make-shift echo chamber lol he just pushes his pellets out off the floor and to the dog ugh its frustrating! He is eating pellets seeds and drinking normally just sharing lol HELP!!

Lol - I'm sorry for giggling at this but it is soooooooo familiar. You'd never believe (well maybe you would!!) the diet our dogs have since we got Alfie - melon, banana, pinapple - basically if it hits the floor, they hoover it up! And yes, Alfie seems to delight in calling them over, mind you she needn't bother - they can hear food hit the floor from the other end of the house! I'm afraid I don't have any advice to discourage him from doing it - it's just too much FUN!

Oh my Rene, you are having too much fun!! Biscotti has started doing this but only occasionaly. He likes the dog to come near his cage, then he sometimes tells her "bad dog". It's a crack up. They are just entertaining themselves! :) I have seen cups that are covered with just a small opening for them to stick their head in & eat. I wonder if that would cut down on the flinging? I think they are made if a heavy ceramic, so probably dishwasher safe. Hope you find a solution & let us all know- I think Biscotti may become a dedicated "flinger" also!! :0

I don't have a dog or cat inside the house any longer and sometimes it is tempting to get another one so they could help clean up the flung and dropped food but that is one game it will be hard to break him of, it is too much fun tossing that pellet or piece of food to watch the dog come and clean it up lickety split.

You guys are hilarious!!! I laughed while I was writing it and am cracking up reading the responses! :P actually the reason I thought to post was, Rene was feeding Copper. LOL so tonight he has only flung about half of his portion.. Copper isn't going to be home all day tomorrow he will be at the vets so maybe just maybe I will have a clean floor for a few hours lol

p.s I have a video of it but have to do some editing to it first so you guys can really laugh!!

About 16 years ago my Step father had a Congo named Napoleon who would toss food onto the floor to lure in his two Jack Russels. Once the dogs were there cleaning up, Napoleon would rush down his cage and chase the dogs off, biting and yelling at them. He would do this over and over again..... the dogs never learned.

Oh but there is a cure!!! Rebel always calls the dog to come clean up her mess. Yesterday it was shredded carrots, but now Aussie (German Shepherd) always looks to me to see if it is ok. I'm sure I posted on here somewhere a long time ago about my poor dog running down the hall crying. I thought the Brat Bird had bitten him. Nope, she fed him a very hot pepper!! Aussie won't take anything from the bird anymore. He looks at me and waits for me to say it's ok to eat her discarded bits. She doesn't try so hard to entertain herself feeding the dog anymore. She still screams "Auussiiieeee" or "Com'ere Dog" and laughs at him or shoots him when he walks in the door. Lately it's MEEOOWW..Aussie NO!!

Gotta love 'em, cos I think it's illegal to boil 'em in a pot!!!

This is all just too funny! But hey, we did ask for smart birds!! So we sort of asked for it, huh?

Bonnie, I can sympathize. Moussa doesn't do this (yet) and we don't have a dog, but Gwyneth the cockatoo loves to fling pellets everywhere (and not just her own pellets, but the other birds' as well) and when the dish is empty enough, if she can, she'll fling the whole dish. Those pellets do get expensive!!!

While I doubt you will be able to break this habit, I found a cure to Dixie's dropping 2/3rd's of her Harrison's onto the cage floor. I lightly mist her pellets with 100% white grape juice (I use baby strength...lol...smaller bottles). It's not enough to make them mushy, but enough for her to taste the juice. Instead of finding full pellets on the floor, I found pieces that were dropped, obviously they didn't have enough juice on them. Now adding juice to them, the dog may start begging for them and your feeding bills will truly go through the roof! LOL. Good luck - look forward to the video.

Robin

I can also relate to this I have 2 dogs and a cat, its the dogs that eat the food that Gozo throwes out so when he does we take hiis food out of his cage for about 5 to 10 mins which I find it works untill the next tine;;;;;;

lol I have a feeling hot peppers wouldn't work! Copper is pretty oblivious to everything lmao he was at the vets yesterday and they couldn't wait for him to leave!! I guess he was very awake right after surgery (he got fixed) and was driving everyone crazy!!

But back to the video I promised we lost our cable with the storm just got it back tonight, Photobucket hates me!! it refuses to up load my movie, so I am going to take a few shorter clips and hope it will upload those sorry guys!!

I have only had my baby grey for 5 days and it seems he has figured this out as well! Although he's eating his Harrison's my dogs are getting the broccoli, papaya and green beans. I am more worried about my dogs' gas as a result! Oh well, just something else to laugh at...