NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

We have a Congo African Grey, his name is Tattletale. He is 4 years old, DNA tested as male, and has a hatch certificate. He prefers women over men, but he will mock everything a male will say. He goes to work every Friday and talks non stop to everyone. He comes to the command "step up." He can say many phrases as well as mock many sounds. Some of his favorites are, "Hello Buddy" ( when walking through the front door), "Good Sugar" (and makes the kiss sound when you place your mouth to his beak for a kiss), "I'm a good chicken" (and he actually "bach-bach-bach" like a chicken), "Yummy Good" (at meal times and he always eats when we do and eats pretty much what we have and still has his pellets when he desires them). We came across this forum and hope to learn some new tricks as well as share some and connect with other Grey owners.

OH MY! VERY handsome fella you have there! I love his bridge on the top of his cage' date=' that is very cool. Nice to see he will wear a diaper for you too :)

Thank You so much for posting the pictures.[/quote']

Haha! That lasted for only about a week after he worked very hard to rip it to shreds to get it off him. lol

Great pictures. Wow is that wheel on a boat???

That is a boat wheel at the Travel Agency my wife works at. He has been known to fly from upstairs to downstairs out the front door about a block down the street and into the woods. You talk about having a heart attack. I could here him beeping (he likes to beep) and I was looking up in the trees for him and I could not see him at all. I finally spotted him on the ground with scratches on his little face from the limbs. He's only flown out the front door once prior to this and this last flight was the longest I ever seen him fly. He's good at staying perched but you never know when his going to get that wild hair. lol

Welcome Featherhead Tattletale!!

It's GreyT having you here and loved the photos. Tattletale sounds like quite a character. I am looking forward to hearing more and seeing more photos and videos when you get a chance. :)

He has been known to fly from upstairs to downstairs out the front door about a block down the street and into the woods. He's only flown out the front door once prior to this and this last flight was the longest I ever seen him fly. He's good at staying perched but you never know when his going to get that wild hair. lol

Someone needs to be tethered! Scary!!!! Jayd

Thankfully that's not his normal routine. He loves to sit outside on his perch and listen to all the sounds. It's really funny the way he looks when he sees an insect fly by. He'll give it the one eye look. lol. When I take his cage outside and spray it down he likes to come out and sit on his perch and let the mist of the water spray him. I guess you could say he's a water bird. His daily routine is going to the shower with my wife and if he isn't showering he's sitting on the shower rod singing or talking up a storm. This is his favorite place to become very vocal. lol. As for the singing, I don't know if he has picked up a song from tv or the radio, but he sounds like a old man singing a country song. lol But I don't think we have to worry about him flying away for now, lately he's been down to the floor running and hopping as fast as he can. Truly a sight to see. :)

Thankfully that's not his normal routine. He loves to sit outside on his perch and listen to all the sounds. It's really funny the way he looks when he sees an insect fly by. He'll give it the one eye look. lol. When I take his cage outside and spray it down he likes to come out and sit on his perch and let the mist of the water spray him. I guess you could say he's a water bird. His daily routine is going to the shower with my wife and if he isn't showering he's sitting on the shower rod singing or talking up a storm. This is his favorite place to become very vocal. lol. As for the singing, I don't know if he has picked up a song from tv or the radio, but he sounds like a old man singing a country song. lol But I don't think we have to worry about him flying away for now, lately he's been down to the floor running and hopping as fast as he can. Truly a sight to see. :)

Question? Is he tethered? or under a enclosed covering? What keeps him from flying away? Is he clipped?, As you know, a clipped bird can fly!!! There's a lot of posts here of clipped winged birds being lost, and plenty of sad tales of birds flying out the door, being lost. There's many story's of "How and Why" a clipped winged bird can fly!Do you have a tether? Jayd P.S. Sorry, I worry anytime I see a unharnessed bird outside!

Well, after his last adventure, the next day he went and got his wings clipped. That being done he can only go about 8 feet now. Just enough to come in for a safe landing. Thinking about not clipping his wings again and when he goes out he will be tethered. Like I said earlier he tore his flight suit within a week, so I will have to test that out first.

Thank you. Most members here use the "Aviator Harness", It's the most popular and appears to be the safest, lot's of forum post's on it...Really sorry you felt you had to clip his wings, "The Soul of a Bird", they can grow back. Preventive measures to make a safe environment for our Grey's is far more rewarding.

"Clipped Wings, I can Fly" Spock here!,

Yes,clipped wings, no problem, airplanes fly with out flapping... all I need to do is to spread my wings, wait for a little wind, and I'm off, a flap or two...Better yet, open my wings and jump, slight breeze and I'm gone!!! higher higher into a tree, now I'm scared, what to do? my wings are clipped, no breeze, jump-flap, TO FAR OFF GROUND!.....then again, what if there was still a breeze? Ok, jump-flap, uh-o, wrong way, it's taking me the wrong way WHERE ARE YOU? I'm lost!!!!!

Spock

Live Long and Prosper...

Hello Featherhead and welcome to our family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Tattletale, what a cute name for a grey and I bet he lives up to his name too.

He is a handsome fella and I dearly love the first picture of him in his flight suit, he is standing there all proper and posing for the camera, I bet he is a lot of fun to have around and great company.

When you have the time do browse thru our many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

As you can probably tell a lot of us are against wing clipping, after all a bird was meant to fly but we do have to be careful of having our fids outside without being either in a cage or on a harness for even a lightly clipped bird can catch a breeze and fly away.