NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Going back into the cage...

Georgiesmum

Hi,

Anyone have any tips on getting your grey back into the cage? George knows the step up command but when he see's that he is going back in the cage he wont step up or if he does he'll step up and run up your arm to the shoulder. Lol clever little devil! I have always got him to stand on a table or some sort of flat surface where he cant grip on to then pick him up and put him in. This has worked fine even tho i'm always aware that in an emergency it would be a hugh problem. But now when we pick him up and he knows he is going in he will bite your fingers to let him go, Which i don't as i don't want him to think that this will work for him as he will keep doing it. I'm not sure if this is because he likes his new playstand so much that he wants to stay on it or if he's just getting older and knows what he wants now. Any advice would be great as it would be best for both of us if he didn't mind going back in. Sorry about the long story x

Pippa doesn't like being picked up, so I have to ask her to make her own way back to her cage.

I started by luring her back on her platform/door with a peanut. Oh, she loves her peanuts. Once she had the nut, I would close the door and pop another treat in her food bowl.

I then added the cue, 'back to bed', but still showing her the peanut upfront, so she knew it was coming.

Once that was happening well, I gave the cue, but did not show the nut, turning it from a bribe into a reward. She gets one when she gets to the door, and randomly one in her pot.

Due to her knackered legs, it takes a while to potter her way back, so I've started saying 'back to bed' a few minutes before I need to leave, and let her get on with it in her own time.

I don't know about the stepping up, but clearly going back to the cage, for many birds, is the cue for the end of the fun. So having a prize for getting back in there would be the way to go. You could do lots of little practise ones where he gets let out again very soon, it's just a game with prizes! I think putting it on cue helps, so they know exactly what is happening.

Oh, if getting him back to the cage is impossible, and he doesn't get the chance to win the prize, break it down further and reward the smaller steps. i.e. stepping up from any and every surface, staying on your hand rather than moving up, staying on you no matter where you wander, and eventually back to the cage. Make sure the rate of reinforcement is high to keep his interest and convince him that it really is worth his while to be doing this.

Tweeds

Tweeds gave great advice. Positive reinforcement works wonders. Also, your attitude helps, if your calm and using a reassuring voice, things will go better than if your nervous in anticipation of a struggle.

Your grey is aging and your right, trying to check and see if he can get his wishes by refusing things. Using positive reinforcement, you can show that certain things he may not want to do right then, has a reward that out weighs his desire to refuse. So it's a win - win.

This is not always possible, but it helps immensely in retraining a good relationship with your bird and normally will avoid bites out of frustration by the bird.

Of course you've gotten some great advice already. I just wanted to throw something else in here.

You did such a great job with that playstand that it's come back to bite you, literally. But it might give you the opportunity to learn a life-lesson about living with a Grey. This is a good time to remember a Grey is often more like a child than a pet.

If your youngster had a phenomenal new toy, you wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to stop playing with it. You'd probably realize that it might take a while for the fascination to wear off & plan accordingly. You might let him stay up a little later, or distract him if you could, or prepare him by putting the toy away. I'm guessing you wouldn't just drag him off, kicking & crying & dump him in bed if there were alternatives.

Try to give Georgie a reason to leave the stand & put it away a little early. Food or maybe find a favorite toy that you can move around. Hang it on the stand then on or preferably in the cage. Encourage him to feel it's ok to play inside his cage because he won't be trapped as soon as he gets in it. Let him know he has the choice to come & go sometimes.

He is getting older & knows more about what he wants. The next little challenge is finding the balance between getting him to listen & giving him his say.

And btw, good luck with that!

I read a trick that has really worked well for us. The tip is in regards to biting, but I find it works great when our little guy doesn't want to go to bed either. If you want him to step up onto your right hand, hold something in your left hand that will serve as a distraction. I use a coffee cup or my sunglasses. Having the item in my other hand distracts him enough so that he forgets why I am asking him to step up, he steps up, and before he knows it he is in his cage. So far it has worked wonderfully.

I am still afraid to pick my 14 year old CAG up so, to get him back into his cage, I have grapes and cherries ready (pit removed). I say - you want a cherry? He runs into his cage so fast. One day last week, my sister was over and I tried to give him a cherry and he wouldn't take it - because she was there. Well, after she left, I asked him if he wanted his cherry - it was sitting on the top of his cage. Well, he ran to his cage door so fast and tripped over the cherries that were on the top of his cage. It was quite comical!