NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

They have arrived!

Hello Everybody :)

Our new Amazon parrots have arrived. We don’t really know for sure if they are a couple, since the Laboratories where the breeder send the samples suddenly closed, after waitind for almost 3 weeks (Have you ever hear of Exon Biotecnologia in Brazil?). The breeder was sending new samples to another laboratory, also in Brazil, but we didn’t wanted to wait another 3 weeks and we brought home this two babies. According to the breeder’s “feeling”, they are a couple….but Lolita’s breeder also said she was a male, and then she turned out to be a female..LOL! I am now in contact with a British Laboratorie, and I am sending them feather samples as soon as I get the collecting Kits.

Here you have the first photos, taken last Monday, the day they arrived:

Piritacos_02.JPG

Piritacos_03.JPG

Wish us luck!

Best regards

Paulo C.

Edited by pfcarquejo

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in another thread, we were having a few problems with one of our Amazons (the ‘male’). He is not found of contact with our hands, and feeding time was not a good thing. He refused all kinds of feeding ways, and the only way we could get him to eat was with a probe. In fact, this is the way the breeder fed them (he had 120 baby bird being hand fed at the same time, between amazons coKatooo, Macaws, and so on).

I think the ‘male’ had some kind of trauma with feeding time, and that was becoming a serious problem to us.

Last Saturday we reduced the feeding to one time a day, and that made some change in his behavior. Yesterday we had a good progress and we managed to give him some food without using the probe. We also managed to get him to approach our hands voluntarily to get some peeled sunflower seeds.

The female is completely different. She is far easy to feed, as you can see on this video:

And Yesterday she started to fly to us on calling.

I think we are in the right path now, and as we are starting our holydays next week, I hope more progress will be made :)

Edited by pfcarquejo

Cute video pfcarquejo, I also have been having problems with Diego eating who I think was weaned to early. I have a question about the DNA laboratory in England, how much was it and how quickly was it done for you? The breeder of Diego said that he was a male, but after a couple of other things he said about Diego, I'm starting to not trust everything he has said. I was also thinking about getting a test done to see if he really is a boy. :)

HI,

Wich country are you from? I used to get the DNA sex testing (I have other birds) in Brazil. It was much cheaper, and what ised to take longer was the mail to arrive in Brazil, because the laboratory did the tests in 24 hours. However this laboratory in Brazil closed last July, and I had to find another laboratory. There are other 2 laboratories, but I didn’t know them, and since I was a little hurry, I thought in England it would be faster, in spite the 14 £ they charge.

However it toke a week only for the mail to arrive there, and it arrived last Tuesday and until now I still don’t have the results.

If you are in the U.S., I am sure you have laboratories there who would do the tests much faster.

Regards

When I was looking for alternatives, I found at least one laboratory in Spain. I didn´t kept the link to their page, but since i found them in the internet, I am sure you will find them too. At the time there were a few things i didn't liked, and I had good references of the UK lab. But since you are in Spain, I guess it would be better for you to use a Spanish Laboratory.

Best regards

Going by the sad face emote your not pleased. Were they to breed from in the future? Look on the bright side, female amazons are supposed to be more cuddly and slightly less hormonal. Plus male or female both of your new babies are both beautiful and I am sure will give you just as much joy as if they were a couple.

Did you name them? We were told that Diego is a male, but to be honest I'm not sure how the breeder decided this as he had not done a DNA test. We're talking about getting the DNA test done so Diego may have to be changed to Diega lol.

• 2 weeks later...
They are beautiful! How old are they now?

They are 3 and a half months old. They are beggining to say their fisrt words now ;). "Olá" (Hello), "Aurora" (the name of one of them) and other words not quite 'understandable'...LOL!! 'Juju' is the one that shows more ability to speak, but 'Aurora' is much more friendly.