NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi I'm New, Questions about Adopting New Grey(s)

Hello, I am new to this forum. I'm 26 years old, a full time student, and a long time bird lover/owner. Right now I have two budgies and a cockatiel who has ovarian cancer :(

I had a baby CAG a few years ago named Emmy. She died when she was about 1 year old from a heart defect, which was very devastating. I'm sure as fellow grey owners you guys can understand how much I loved her.

Anyway, I think we are ready to have another grey baby, and I would like some advice. I was thinking about getting two grey baby siblings together, but I am not sure if this is a good idea or not and haven't been able to find a lot of information about this. Does anyone have advice about starting with two babies? Would our relationship with them be more or less fulfilling than if we had gotten a single baby?

I think that one of the reasons I am considering this is because I am worried about having an experience raising one grey that is similar to my experience with my first grey Emmy. I'm worried that I will compare my new baby to Emmy, who was so wonderful. I guess I'm hoping that if I get two babies, not only will it be fun and rewarding, but also that I won't be able to compare my experiences with them to Emmy. Maybe I'm just worrying too much!

Anyway, it would be really nice to hear from other grey owners. Thanks!

Hello Mindyluz and welcome to our family, so glad to hear you want to bring another grey into your life. I am so sorry you lost the first one you had but it just wasn't meant to be but now you are ready to open your heart to a new baby grey.

I can see your reasoning behind wanting to get two babies at the same time but remember that two together will probably bond to each other and not have as close a relationship with you as if you were to just go with one at this time plus you will have to be able to give two greys the time and attention they both need and want and if they happen to not get along with one another then it could present a problem.

It is natural to compare the new one to your previous one but they will probably be as different as night and day as each grey has its own personality and no two are alike but each is special in his/her own right.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Hi Mindyluz welcome to the grey family!!!!! I would go with the one new grey so that you will both have a chance to bond together without competition for your attention between two greys. Have you found a breeder and are you looking at babies right now?

Welcome, What happened to Emma is something we all fear, it wasn't your fault. As Janet and Judy said, One would be best, If they were siblings, the would have to be separated right from the start, and raised separate! If not siblings, they would still have to be raised separate! The chances of treating them equal, would be slim. Having just one bird, at first, you will remember Emma and compare, but that won't last, your devotion will grow to you new Grey, and you'll still never forget Emma! Please don't try to share yourself with Emma and two new baby's, That's to hard......Jayd Maggie, Spock and the flock

Edited by Jayd

That's what I thought might be the case with getting two greys. So maybe I will just get one :)

I am in the process of finding breeders. I met a breeder recently at a bird expo and I may email her in the next couple of days. I live in So. California if anyone knows a good breeder let me know! ;)

Spinner of our forum is a breeder from California and he has shared his wonderful nursery cam with us so that we have been able to watch some babies grow.

**Sorry, I have just learn Spinner is not from Calif. sorry for the mistake.

Edited by luvparrots

Welcome Mindy!

You have received some good thoughts on bringing home 2 Greys.

I believe Spinner is Indiana, so that would be a far distance from you in southern california.

I am uncertain of where you are in the south, I am in the san joaquin valley, so can not really reccomend breeders in your area. I would reccomend though, that if possible, you find one in driving distance so you can go and check out the facilities, the breeder and get to them and a Grey you may be interested in there.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :)