NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pippa, another 'differently abled' bird.

Tweedle

I am just getting caught up with a few posts and discovered I had missed this one. Your work with Pippa is inspirational. Of course, my favorite part was her choice language when she banged into the window. I can relate to Pippa on that one. LOL. Despite her challenges, she has a great outlook on life and is willing to try new things with you, so that is a big plus. Our grey is perfectly formed yet Pippa gets out and about more than Kopi does. To the pub yet! Now maybe that is the trouble, I haven't asked Kopi yet where he would like to go. LOL. Your setup for Pippa is a delight, no wonder she is thriving under your care.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bless you, they're very kind and encouraging words. It can be a tad frutrating though. This afternoon I've had a shallow dish of water out - if she would paddle I could dispense with the hated spraying. She has spent 40 mins throwing a toy around it, and bobbing for peanuts, but not stepping in. She has now gone to her teeny little water bowl in the cage, and is attempting to bath in it's woefully inadequate volume. Do I just take her and PUT her in her bath??! What cost to trust?

And the plucking is getting a little worse. It comes and goes. Ho hum.

I have been putting Kopi in the sink with toys, no water just yet. At first he panicked and tried to climb out but when I handed him things he stayed the next time. I am hoping to work up to spraying him gently with a water bottle there and eventually getting to a place where I can spray him with the faucet sprayer and hopefully get him really drenched. I just break things down that I want and keep trying until we progress to the next level. It has taken six months to do the small steps but it is slowly working with him. Each bird is different in what they will tolerate and how they interact with us. Pippa is sweet and has come far in a short time with you, you will see the right moment and the ideas will come to you.

My grey will also try and bath in a water dish on his stand, but no where else. He also screams and trembles at the sight of the mister. I have tried a couple different kinds, tried the sink, and a big bowl with no luck. But after my husband made him a shower perch, he goes in the shower with me to get some steam. I try and put a little water on him with the shower handle, sometimes he won't scream and I can get his chest and lower back, and other times I can't. I am still working on it, as I don't want to loose his trust also. One time I just kept misting him even with his screaming because I thought I was doing the right thing and he needed water, but after that I couldn't touch him for a week (that was a long time ago before I educated myself and trying new ways than force). I have never been able to soak him, when I can get him wet it just seems to run off. But so far not bathing has not caused an issue for us.

We took Pippa in her Adventure Pack on a Dartmoor Adventure today! The weather was beautiful, we chucked four adults, three dogs and her in a van, drove to one of my favourite places and had a lovely bimble around, finishing up with a cream tea. Scones are clearly not as high in Pippa's estimation as chips :)

46460_459963652754_697802754_6252643_3418361_n.jpg

*Note how she is able to steady herself against the movement with one foot on the vertical surface of the cage. Wouldn't be able to do that with a Pak-O-Bird.

46419_459962882754_697802754_6252611_2157451_n.jpg

photo.php?pid=6252360&id=697802754

46855_459962997754_697802754_6252614_2150445_n.jpg

46455_459957707754_697802754_6252396_754019_n.jpg

Edited by Tweedle

I'm so pleased that she seems to have taken to it. Whenever we stopped and put her down, she was happy to take a peanut, ask for a tickle, or sit there preening. She was happily making her pinging noises too. I did get stopped by people saying 'ooooh, that's a first, a parrot going for a walk.....'

I still can't make my mind up on the sad/cool issue, but if Pippa thinks it's cool, that's what counts :)

Pippa had one of her 'moments' today, and we spent a couple of hours at the hospital.

She suddenly, and again for no apparent reason, had another bout of respiratory distress. Half an hour of oxygen helped, but she still wasn't quite right, so we went for the F10 nebuliser again. I'm glad to say she's back home, chirping away, apparently none the worse for wear. She sat there preening away whilst under treatment, seemingly in a content rather than stressed way. It's quite strange actually, that you can hear her laboured breathing, and watch her chest having to work hard, but despite the terminology she doesn't appear distressed.

The cage from the Adventure Pack easily converted to an oxygen tent with a bit of cling film, much better than the cat box we used to use.

58912_486322113968_549963968_6683095_5412336_n.jpg

She was soon bright enough to try poking her way out, she wasn't happy that I couldn't give beak rubs or headscratches with all that plasticy stuff in the way!

58912_486322118968_549963968_6683096_716609_n.jpg

I've racked my brains, and can't come up with any trigger for this episode, or the last one which was in May. I had not long cleaned out her cage, and the only cleaner I'd been using was dilute F10 in a spray bottle.

In a way, I hope it is something I do that triggers it, as what on earth would happen if it occured whilst she was on her own? It's awful to think, will she still be with us when I go down in the morning?

It was a very hard day at work today, many euthanasias, many sick patients to admit, I lost count of the number of blood samples I took, sometimes very hard to do from animals with collapsed veins, and placing catheters in tiny puppies.

To be back in work a few hours later with my bubba was wearing, and being commited to looking after a sick bird does funny things to you. Just when you're getting closer, you're faced with the possibility of losing them, the inevitable heartache, yet having to almost resign yourself to it. :(

I am looking forward to her loudly waking me with the dawn tomorrow, my heart will beam will every noise she makes.

It would surely be heartbreaking to lose Pippa when you've formed such a beautiful bond with her. But where would she be without someone like you, who can not only love her, but can give her what she needs?

Sure, it could happen that she has an attack one day when you are not there to help her. And it could end tragically. But every time you are there to help her, you can give her more time for that many more fun outings to the park or to the pub, and that many more yummy chips :)

Oh dear Poor Pippa has had to deal with so much but you are doing all you can to make her life happy and it does make a difference and Pippa knows it, she probably knows she is so lucky to have you in her life as I am sure she would not be here right now if it wasn't for you and your care. I hope she has many more years to enjoy and I hope you do find out what is causing her respiratory distess for then you can eliminate it from her life.

Thanks for letting us know of her recent bout and keeping us informed.

Yeah, Pippa!

Tweedle, I don't know how practicable it would be, but I wonder if you could keep a little diary for Pippa and record what went on during the day. Or maybe something like a medical chart type thing next to her cage to note whatever you do. If there are specific triggers for her episodes, maybe you could catch it that way. I know at times I've been able to pin down what has caused certain problems I've had by doing something like that. Just a thought.

She's delightfully perky today :D

Previous bouts I had pinned down to cooking, and usually burnt fat acrolein poisoning I guess. As far as I'm aware they don't 'get better' from PTFE poisoning, can anyone comment on this? The last two episodes I wasn't cooking at all though. I had wondered whether the aspergillosis had left her with a particular sensitivity, but it's amazing how quickly and how well she responds to O2 therapy.

I shall keep trying to spot any possible triggers though......

Edited by Tweedle