NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hormone implants

she

As you know Charlie has had a feather folical infection that the vet thinks has now cleared. Charlie is still pllucking and the wet now wants to try a hormone implant. I am having a think over the next few weeks about this and then having a good chat with the vet before I go ahead with it. Has anyone any knowledge of this treatment or know of any success rate or if it is usefull at all.I also need to know about side affects . I cant find an awfull lot of info on the internet. I am having doubts about it and need to learn all I can first....Thanks Sheila.

I have never heard of hormone implants being used for plucking birds. Of course, not being in the avian medicine community as a great disadvantage in hearing about possible new break throughs in that area.

Only you can make the decision based on all the knowledge you can gain from your vet on this. Perhaps he has some reference cases he can recount to you.

Now that the follicle infection is gone, has the feather destruction slowed any that you can tell?

I feel so sorry for Charlie and you. It is so nerve racking to watch as this type of behavior occurs and then remains as you exhaust all effors to treat and cure it.

That's a good idea of Dan's - perhaps the vet could even put you in touch with someone who has had the treatment, so you can talk to them. Finding out about it on the internet is not so easy, I've looked!! I really do hope you get to the bottom of it soon. x

The vet has a grey who is having similar problems to Charlie and he actually used an implant on his bird last week,he is asking me to contact him again in a week or so to see what success it is having with his bird