NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wanted - Baby Congo African Grey by October

miniHUEY

Hey guys,

I looking to get in contact with a local Grey breeder in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Hoping to get a Congo African Grey around 7+ weeks old by October 2010.

If someone is in the area please give me a heads up.

Thanks!

Angelo Taylor

Ataylor20@mac.com

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189414-*A-Plea-to-all-Members*-Hand-feeding...

It is far safer for a baby parrot to survive if you get a fully weaned one as opposed to one on formula!

http://www.africangreys.com/articles/overview/beauty.htm

You'd be surprised, people will come on the forum, 7wk old baby,[etc] ask question, then more questions that they shouldn't need to ask, then you never hear from them again!!!

It is so easy to lose a baby then not. Please reconsider!!! Jayd

I am glad to hear you want to add a grey to your household but why do you want an unweaned baby, the bonding will take place even if you don't participate in the handfeeding process, some people still believe that they have a stronger bond if they handfeed but it is just not so. Unless you have some experience with handfeeding it is best left to those who know what they are doing preferably the breeder and I would like to see it outlawed here in the US like it is in the UK. So much can go wrong and your baby could die if not handled properly, please reconsider and get a just weaned baby grey.

Maybe you don't know that a 7 week old bird is NOT yet weaned. You should not take a bird in unless you have years of experience with this type of bird AND handfeeding with a huge success rate. Please reconsider as others have suggested.....

There is no set age that a grey is weaned, it can be as young as 15 weeks to more than 20 weeks or even more, a baby grey sets his own weaning schedule if they are abundance weaned and no reputable breeder will sell one before it is weaned.

Post x3 :)

Alright, I mean this with the upmost respect so don't be offended.

Im looking to get into contact with a local breeder rather than have a slew of opinions on what they think laws should be. (Not that advice is not appreciated)

Hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Websites.... numbers... etc...

Edited by miniHUEY
typos!

There is no set age that a grey is weaned, it can be as young as 15 weeks to more than 20 weeks or even more, a baby grey sets his own weaning schedule if they are abundance weaned and no reputable breeder will sell one before it is weaned.

Now thats good information! Thanks

Post x3 :)

Alright, I mean this with the upmost respect so don't be offended.

Im looking to get into contact with a local breeder rather than have a slew of opinions on what they think laws should be. (Not that advice is not appreciated)

Hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Websites.... numbers... etc...

Sorry, I can't help, I am from the other side of the United States...:( I had my bird shipped to me.

Sorry, I can't help, I am from the other side of the United States...:( I had my bird shipped to me.

Interesting. I am sorta afraid to ship a bird. I could only imagine how angry theyd get. What was your experience like?

• 2 weeks later...

I know the general consensus of this forum is to purchase a weaned grey and for the most part that is true. I am new to this forum as well as parrot ownership and this is my first post. I have an 11 week old TAG that I received at 5 weeks. The breeder I received from was there to answer all my questions. I am currently hand feeding and although it is helpful to work from home I have found tremendous pleasure in watching Corona grow and develop as she learns. I don't know if I would do it again but I am glad I did it and experienced that with my bird. I think it is helpful if your breeder is the re to help and answer questions. She let me know things that at first scared me but also made me be aware and more careful. I am currently down to one feeding a day and Corona is eating many different types of foods and weighs in at 281 grams. So for me it was a wonderful experience to hand feed my baby. I love this forum and the care and dedication of it's members.

Thanks

Mark

Guest jamalbirdbiz

looks to me like there is a lesson to be learnt here and that is weaning can be fun. thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Still looking to adopt an African Grey. I looked up the post for all local breeders and a lot of them turned out to be non-existant or scams so if someone on the forums is selling a congo African grey, message me! I really do not mind the age or gender. As long as they are healthy and friendly :)

• 1 month later...
Hey guys!

Still looking to adopt an African Grey. I looked up the post for all local breeders and a lot of them turned out to be non-existant or scams so if someone on the forums is selling a congo African grey, message me! I really do not mind the age or gender. As long as they are healthy and friendly :)

I wished I could give you some help on breeders in your area, however, I'm in Florida so can't. I, too, was kinda forced to take my baby before being weaned, I was a nervous wreck about it, even though I HAVE hand fed in the past. However, I am really loving doing it now, I still get a little nervous, only because I know his immunities aren't quite up to par yet, and so many things COULD happen to him. If you're going to take an unweaned baby, I would highly recommend you have an Avian Experted Vet on speed dial and the option to call your breeder anytime day or night for ANY questions you might have. That being said, I hope someone is able to help you find a local breeder in your area and congrats on your decision to be a parront!!!

I handfed Rudy at 8 weeks old and I was a nervous wreck the whole time and she took forever to wean , I love how cuddly she was but I'am so glad it's over and she is a big girl now and nope I don't plan on doing again ,at least I hope not

I have found a fantastic breeder here in michigan she is in Port Huron and she does ship if you are interested in fact she has 2 babies ready to go to their new home now , that is who I'am planning on getting our new baby cag from around March or April and she charges 1000.00 pm me if you want her site and her phone number