NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

teady bear

Tigerlily

I'll play it safe and say that you shouldn't be giving a furry, shreddible item like a teddy bear to a parrot who's quite well known for chewing and ripping things apart. The shredded hairs can go anywhere. The material can easily get into food and can also get stuck in the bird's throat or when wet, can stick to the claws. Items that are made of fine material ( artificial fur) such as what you're looking for basically not made for parrots.They also have artificial colors which aren't the same as the colored toys that are actually made for parrots. Most parrot toys are made so that a parrot has no problem breaking them up and letting them drop to the floor. I've seen parrrots have bad problems with those types of items.

Well, that seals it for me. I am getting rid of Dayo's furry porcupine he tumbles around with. He does not shred it, at least not for the last 2 years, but I do not want to chance he may and then have severe issues as Dave noted.

Thanks Dave!!! :)

One reason I never gave a stuffed toy to my birdies is because I have serious doubts about the safety of the stuffing. God knows what diseases and fungi reside in there. Most of these toys are made in China, and I have concerns about quality control over the materials used.

i have a teddy in with my 10 week old & shes fine, falls asleep on it, when she wakes up goes nose to nose with it & chatters away for ages ! rofl.gifrofl.gif , at this age i think shes ok , but i keep a eye on her once she starts riving at it i will take it out rofl.gif

i have a teddy in with my 10 week old & shes fine, falls asleep on it, when she wakes up goes nose to nose with it & chatters away for ages ! rofl.gifrofl.gif , at this age i think shes ok , but i keep a eye on her once she starts riving at it i will take it out rofl.gif

This is the exception to Dave's rule, a baby grey especially one by itself needs something it can focus on as company or something to cuddle with when alone but by the time that bird gets old enough to start tearing it up then its time for it to leave.