NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How loud?

We currently have a Grey and are thinking of getting another bird. We love Amazons, my wife grew up with them in Mexico, but we also know that they can be very loud. Does anyone have an Amazon and live in an apartment? Is it unreasonable to even consider it? I have lived with a cockatoo in an apartment, but he was with us from a baby and was very good about screaming, only doing the usual morning and night time screaming. The Amazon we would be getting would be from a bird sanctuary that we volunteer at.

We may also consider another grey, there are so many birds in need at the sanctuary.

Welcome!!! 0ur Orange-wing is fairly quiet, Mealy Zon's are quiet and social, one of my favorite..Salsa gets along with our Greys. I'll get back to you this afternoon, Ill research..

Captive Mealy Parrots are amongst the gentlest and calmest of all amazon parrots.

All amazons can be aggressive but the Mealy Amazons are considered the gentle giants of the Amazon parrots and is not a naturally aggressive species. They are described as the gentlest and calmest of all amazon parrots. They generally have a docile temperament and tend to get along well with other birds.

The noise level and talking abilities vary greatly amongst this species. There are some quiet birds amongst them -- but others can get very noisy. In fact, their voices can carry over a mile. Amazons enjoy repeating a phrase over and over again each time using a different inflection.

Species such as Lilac Crowns and Mealies are less excitable than other amazon species during the breeding season. Females tend to be calmer than males during this phase. An attack by a hormonal male can be vicious and will not be limited to one bite.

http://www.avianweb.com/

Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd