NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey back to Vet after bleeding wing

Piper

Hi all

Please keep Piper in your thoughts tomorrow. He’s going to the Vet for blood tests and x-rays.

He was literally chewing his wings edges in the beginning of this year and I had him at the vet cause the first thing they thought was that it might be metal poisoning. He wasn’t sick, ate well, and was still chirpy and talkative. And had no blood in his poop. (apparently that’s some signs of metal poisoning.) Ok, so it wasn’t metal poisoning. And the doc didn’t know what the problem was.

The doc gave him a Vit B injection and told me Piper needs more exercise cause he is a little bit overweight. I changed his diet to what the doc said etc. And I got him a nice BIG cage, with lots of chewable toys to keep him busy and we did excercise like the doc said.

The one wing healed and he stopped chewing it, but he kept on chewing the other one. To such an extent that it started bleeding. He must have bumped it somewhere against the cage and it was blood all over. Any grey owners worst nightmare!!! It stopped bleeding fast, luckily. But it must be very painful cause he screamed incredibly!

I was at the vet again, and he now has to go back tomorrow for blood tests to so they can see why he’s still chewing that wing and if it got infected from bleeding. And X-rays to see if he maybe broke a small bone in his wing.

For the time being, he has to stay in his cage so that he doesn’t injure that wing even more.

He will be 2years old in November.

Please hold your thumbs that Piper will get the needed medical treatment?!

Just a little update on Piper.

Piper will be ok. I was at the Vet on Friday. They took x rays of his wings and practically his whole body. Nothing is broken or cracked.

After a long and thorough inspection the Doc decided it’s not necessary for blood tests, as he eats healthy and is not sick.

It appears that Piper is one of those unlucky birdies that chew his wings for the fun of it. Something triggered the chewing, like moving to another home, a new person in our home, a new pet, changing my hair colour, something that frightened him or basically almost anything could have triggered it.

From there on it was a nasty habit! He will most likely never lose this habit, but it’s going to take a lot of effort from my side to keep him busy so he will be distracted from chewing his wings. Creativity with lots of chewable toys and a healthy diet is supposed to do the job.

Oh, and the doc says he’s a feisty little parrot and is most likely on his Terrible Two stage. Whahahah I think he bit the living hell out of the poor Doc when he took him for x rays!

If anyone has any ideas on how I can keep Piper active with toys and distracted from his wings, would you kindly let me know.

He has a nice big cage, and lots of toys which I rotate regularly. But I need something more!

Thank you for all the support and prayers!

I have an older eclectus that is a bad plucker. Thanks to Dave007, I have started misting him with aloe vera juice and it seems to be helping him alot. There are oodles of threads about aloe vera juice so please take a look at them. Perhaps that will help Piper also.

Piper,

I don't know if you've seen any of the posts on Beau, my 13 month old grey, but he has been through h*ll and back with chewing on his right wing. He suffered an injury at about 3 months (burned crop) and when I got him at 4 months he had plucked his chest and right wing completely. After many visits to the AV and more money than I want to admit being spent, I have a beautiful, if not fully feathered grey. His chewing is not completely stopped, but he no longer is barbing off his feathers on his right wing. To accomplish this I followed the best advice I have ever received and that was to stop transferring my fears and emotions to Beau when he did something like chew off a feather or pluck a spot on his chest. Now when I see him "over preening" I gently and laughingly remind him those are my feathers and he needs to take care of them. The other advice I received was also from here - bathe with aloe juice. His AV backed this up - misting him twice daily with water first and the second time with aloe juice/water (50/50 mix). We are now down to just a daily misting with aloe juice/water and we have lots of beautiful feathers on his wing again. His over preening/plucking habit seems to have disappeared and the slow process of new feathers coming in and growing to full length seems to take forever. We've had a few setbacks, and it's been disheartening, but as those new flights and secondary's come in, now shielded and protected by the few that survived the intial grow back (he literally had no feathers on his wing) we are seeing progress coming in leaps and bounds. The hardest part is waiting. I hope all goes well with your grey, take heart that you are not alone and we are here if you need us.

Robin

thank you for all your replies and advice!!! I really appreciate it a lot!!!

I will try the aloe vera juice! all that bothers me, I leave home early in the morning and during winter time it's quite cold. Would it be ok to mist him when its about 10deg celcius in the morning? Wouln't he be too cold?

Summer will be here soon, so its only for now that's its nippy in the mornings!

I made him a nice toy last night, with lots of macaroni and shoe laces. it kept him busy for a little while but he loved that!!! I'll try foraging toys as well. for now he has many shredding toys which I must rotate regularly.

thanks for all the advice people!!!

That is cold. Is that the temperature where your grey is housed (no heat)?

Instead of misting, perhaps get some 100% natural aloe gel and rub it gentley on those bare wing spots. This will not cool your grey any further and actually sooth that area better, deeper and longer than a misting with aloe juice.

The toy sounds wonderful and should give him some fun activities to keep his mind off his wing.

Danmcq; sorry, correction.. Its about 18-20 dec celcius inside our home. Outside its a bit colder! I'll try the aloe vera gel, thanks for the advice. so far Piper is doing well, getting lost of extra special attention and love and destructable toys!!

thanks all!