NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Difference between happy tail wagging and bad tail pumping?

paulina

My beautiful little Kenya bird (my five year old congo) like to quickly "wag" her tail back and forth when I'm with her, but I was reading in the health forums that tail pumping is a bad sign. Is there a difference between the two or is any sort of tail action a bad sign? What exactly is tail pumping? I was hoping to find at least a Youtube video to see but I can't find any of the sort.

~Paulina

Birds wag their tails left and right when they're about to defecate or when they're fluffing out all of their feathers in order to put them back in place.

Tail pumping? Be more specific. You've seen it on our Health Board? If so, what was the name of the topic? If it has to do with some type of illness , it won't be on YouTube.

Edited by Dave007

Tail pumping can be associated with respiratory distress. This is more of an up and down movement and would be more continuous than what you're describing. We took our little parrotlet to the vet once because we thought she was pumping her tail. He reassured us that she was fine. He told us at that time that when birds are having difficulty breathing, they make a clicking sound with each breath.

That's my limited offering on tail pumping. I'm sure other have much more wisdom to offer.

I saw the post: http://www.greyforums.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&catid=3&Itemid=8 for when to go to a wellness check and saw tail pumping as a symptom and even thou I just took kenya to the vet for a check up not too long ago (about 4 months ago) I was nervous the vet missed something! she only does the left and right quick fluttering so that seems more likely to be a preening deal, so ill be sure to watch for when she does it! otherwise she is eating great breathing normal and seems perfectly fit :) thanks for your responses I just got nervous and wanted to make sure my little one is ok :)