NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to the forums!

Hello, I'm new to these forums. I signed up because I have been considering the purchase of an African Grey for the past four years, and have wanted one for the past six. I know exactly what I am getting into, so no need to warn me. I've never seen an african grey in person, I live in a small town so it's really hard to find a pet store that carries them even just to look at and get a real feel for.

I've done a lot of reading, and a lot of research on and off for the past couple of years, but it is tough finding places. I joined here because I am thinking by the end of this summer I'd like to finally take the plunge and make the purchase, but need a little help finding a breeder around me. Like I said, I live in a rinky-dink town. Anyway, if you want a little more about me, my name is Christina and I'm 20. =)

Hi!

Like you, I had wanted a Grey for years, and only recently have been able to bring one into my home.

I also had never seen one in person (small town, not a lot of bird stores), and was somewhat intimidated the first time I saw the Greys at the breeder and how they reacted to me, and that was 8 hours away! It was a sobering experience.. I took some bites the first 2 days, but after that the past month has been smooth sailing.

My little girl and I have been getting along great and I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. =)

When the time comes, you may have to expand your search in order to find a grey from a breeder. Many, many people here and all over the place have to do that. I don't know where you live but more populated areas usually have breeders that are in business. Travel may be uncomfortable but considering what you're buying, the trips are well worth the time. You can purchase a bird online but you'll never know what you're getting. Also, a grey comes with guarantees and warrantees and it would be very difficult for you to follow through with those features in case your new bird is underthe weather or sick.

Hello Christina and welcome to our family, so glad to hear you want to join the rank of grey ownership and you have come to the right place looking for advice and help.

You are doing the right thing in researching and reading all you can before you make that plunge and I am sure you will find breeders in your area or at least a few hours drive from where you live, just do a search and here is one place you can look www.avianbiotech.com just look by state.

Thank you all for your responses, I am really glad I found this forum too! I really wanted to find a place where I could talk to people about these beautiful birds, and I think this seems like a pretty great place! =)

Christiana: I am a Congo African Grey owner and have found priceless information by belonging to this forum. We bought our grey from a pet store and he came with no instructions. We purchased books and went to a "bird paradise" store with over 30 years experience. I spend a lot of time on this forum just reading all the comments - there are so many members with so much experience to learn from. Good luck with your endeavor in getting a parrot - it is a different kind of pet from a cat or dog, but it will enrich your life.