NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Boo is sick and I have a question

amiraweston

Hello all,

I had to rush Boo back to the Vet last Sunday. He was in respiratory distress. Tail bobbing, mouth open etc. I woke up and found him that way. It's his third trip to the vet since I brought him home May 19th. He was admitted and stayed for 4 days. A full battery of test were done and I'm still waiting for culture results.

For those of you that do not know about Boo, I bought him from our local pet store in Big Pine Key, Fl., Walton's Pet store, on April 16th and left him there for over a month to be weaned. During that time we visited him 2-3 times a week. On April 26th, while Boo was still living at the pet store, the pet store owner took Boo to the vet for respiratory problems and he was placed on antibiotics for "a while". The pet store never revealed this to me. I took Boo home May 19th and heard him wheezing and he has never stopped wheezing. The pet store paid for his first visit which was May 21st and I was offered the option of returning him. My husband and I did not want to return him, we are in love with our little Boo. We already bonded with him during the 5 week period that we visited him. The pet store owner informed me that they should have told me but thought Boo was better. His Antibiotics, that the pet shop people were giving him, were not given as directed. Boo had to go back to the vet on June 10th again for the same problem. The last visit, June 30th, he was admitted. MY cost so far is over $1,300.00 and Boo is still wheezing and having nasal drainage from the right nostril. We have to suction him or irrigate his nasal passages twice a day or more.

My question: is the pet store responsible for my vet bills? Does someone know the legalities of this situation? I was never given any paperwork when I purchased him. The owner stated "in retrospect, I should of told you". Are any of our members Attorneys? I know Boo will be going back to the vet again, he's still not well and I think he might not ever be well. It breaks my heart to see him sick.

Arlene

Oh I am so sorry that Boo is ill. The pet shop owner did give you the option to return your grey to him but you chose not to do that. You chose to take responsibility for Boo. You would have to ask an attorney about what your options are now. I hope your vet is able to make Boo well very soon. Prayers going out for sweet Boo.

Oh I am so sorry that Boo is ill. The pet shop owner did give you the option to return your grey to him but you chose not to do that. You chose to take responsibility for Boo. You would have to ask an attorney about what your options are now. I hope your vet is able to make Boo well very soon. Prayers going out for sweet Boo.

I have to agree with Janet, my only concern is Boo's recovery. I hope your Vet is giving Boo probiotic's or Acidophilus or plain low fat yogurt, to replace what antibiotics deplete from their tummy, so you don't have more complications later. Yogurt, 1/2tsp, 2 times a day, Acidophilus plain powder is 1/10 a human dosage, probiotic's [bird]is per label.

Jayd

This illness has been going on for 2 months. It is deeply rooted in your baby Boo now.

What did the vet diagnose him with? The treatments received so far, do not seem to be effective at all, from what you have said here.

Is this an avian vet with years of experience seeing and treating Parrots?

I am very impressed with your tenacity and willingness to bar no costs at helping Boo. He is obviously a very strong willed fighter to have contibued on this long with that illness.

Edited by danmcq

Yes, they did give me that option through a third party, they never called me. I owned him for over a month and visited with him 2-3 times a week while they were taking him to the vet and giving him antibiotics and never told me about it. It was just very bad business on their part. If they would of said something right away I would have chosen another bird. I think they were getting rid of a sick bird. They even referred to him as "the sick bird"

When doe's Boo go back to the vet? Spock has 5 Vets, it took all 5 to find out what was wrong, you might have to try another Vet, if like Dan asked, is he experienced?

Jayd

I was hopping you could answer these questions?

Jayd

"I hope your Vet is giving Boo probiotic's or Acidophilus or plain low fat yogurt, to replace what antibiotics deplete from their tummy, so you don't have more complications later. Yogurt, 1/2tsp, 2 times a day, Acidophilus plain powder is 1/10 a human dosage, probiotic's [bird]is per label."

Edited by Jayd

Our baby, besides secondary complications is Hypoglycemic! low blood sugar. Could Boo be allergic to something in the food he's eating? Vets sometimes over look this! Yeast infection? Just a though!.. Jayd

Candida / Candidiasis

In the respiratory tract, Candida may cause nasal discharge, a change in the voice, difficulty breathing, rapid breathing and inability to exercise.

http://www.avianweb.com/candida.html

:)Here's a list of bird vets in case at some time you might wish to get a second opinion. Thank you for taking such good care of Boo. : Jayd;)

Brandon .Dr. Clarence Dunning, Avian Vet - Brandon Veterinary Hospital Brandon, FL 33511 - Tel. (813) 689-4801

Cape Coral: Dr. Milton McElvie, Avian Vet 920 Country Club Blvd., Cape Coral, FL - Tel. (941) 574-6171

Jacksonville: Dr. Rhoda Stevenson (Diplomat, American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, Certified in Avian Practice) Dr. Heather McClure, DVM - Exotic Bird Hospital 10550-12 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL 32257 - Tel. (904) 268-0204

Lakeworth Gwen B. Flinchum, DVM, Dipl. American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, Certified in Avian Practice - All Bird Clinic of the Palm Beaches 3769 South Military Trail, Lake Worth, FL 33463 Phone: (561) 304-7928, allbirdvet@aol.com, www.allbirdclinic.net

Loxahatchee Susan L. Clubb, D.V.M. - Board certified and the author of several published works on bird health. She maintains her own aviary and avian research facility Loxahatchee, FL 33470 - Tel. (561) 795-4878 This one I know!!!!

Stuart: Dr. Ross Prezant - Avian Vet 6755 S. Kanner Hwy, Stuart, FL 34977 - Tel. (561) 283-0101

Venice: Dr. Donald Swerida - Dr. Don's Mobile Veterinary Service - Avian Vet and bird owner Pineapple Place, Venice, F - Tel. (941) 408-9779

Edited by Jayd

I thought about allergies but it is only from the right nare. I should have the results of the cultures tomorrow. Thanks

That's Grey't we really care here, about both the parronts and the parrots....Jayd