NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Shaddix

Guest ashez

Guest ashez

Shaddix will be 7 weeks old on Wednesday. I am feeding him about 30mls of Exact formula every 3 hours or so. I am keeping him in a large Rubbermaid container with wholes cut out so that he is able to receive air (I have cats too and don't want them trying to play with him). I do keep a heating pad on him to ensure warmth (it's on a low setting and isn't directly placed on him). At this point, he mostly sleeps and has no real interest in playing. His living space always seems to be messy every time its feeding time so I was wondering on when I should convert him to a cage? Also, what things should I be doing with him to teach him things he should be doing or learning?

Thanks everyone for all of your help. This is the first time I've had a bird this young and although the vet says I'm doing everything right, I just want to see what else I should be doing...

I am in no way an expert when it comes to baby Greys but at 7 weeks I would have pellets and small chunks of veggies and such in there for him to nibble on. Most of it will only be played with and soiled but it is a good learning experience. My baby who is about 1/2 a week younger than yours already rolls a ball around her tank, so I would suggest you putting a couple things in there for him to play with such as a cockatiel ball, medium sized wooden bead, etc. Every 3 hours feeding seems a bit much to me. My girl is on 4 feeds a day. Some would say she should be on 5 feeds a day but she simply won't eat that often and seems to be doing well on 4. Try increasing the amount fed at each feed and spacing the feeds out a bit more. Depending on your Grey's feathering and the ambient temperature of the room your keeping him/her in, your grey should be ready to be moved into a cage in about a week.

Maybe someone more experienced in Greys will come along and give you better info. Like I said, I am no expert in baby Greys.

Edited by Loki'sMinion

Guest ashez
I am in no way an expert when it comes to baby Greys but at 7 weeks I would have pellets and small chunks of veggies and such in there for him to nibble on. Most of it will only be played with and soiled but it is a good learning experience. My baby who is about 1/2 a week younger than yours already rolls a ball around her tank, so I would suggest you putting a couple things in there for him to play with such as a cockatiel ball, medium sized wooden bead, etc. Every 3 hours feeding seems a bit much to me. My girl is on 4 feeds a day. Some would say she should be on 5 feeds a day but she simply won't eat that often and seems to be doing well on 4. Try increasing the amount fed at each feed and spacing the feeds out a bit more. Depending on your Grey's feathering and the ambient temperature of the room your keeping him/her in, your grey should be ready to be moved into a cage in about a week.

Maybe someone more experienced in Greys will come along and give you better info. Like I said, I am no expert in baby Greys.

The vet said to feed every 3 hours, about 30mls and obviously increase it a little per week. He said once the crop becomes full, to stop feeding and usually around 30mls, the crop is pretty full...

As for the ideas and such, thank you. I'll give them a try.

Hi, welcome to the forum, You got a little one huh! Well, the advice you've received is right-on, your baby should be fed 4+ times a day now, 25 to 30cc's is great. What is your tank temperature???, It's definitely time to have some pellet, and seed,s and little toy,s to keep your baby from being bored! The baby will keep eating when he's full. here's a thread about "Abundant feeding" http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189769-Abundent-Feeding!&highlight=abundent+feeding

Kaytee exact! even though the container show's a photo of a CAG, they need more "fat and protein", it is my recommendation to switch to Zupreem embrace plus, or Kaytee Macaw formula!

Thanks

Jayd

Guest ashez
Hi, welcome to the forum, You got a little one huh! Well, the advice you've received is right-on, your baby should be fed 4+ times a day now, 25 to 30cc's is great. What is your tank temperature???, It's definitely time to have some pellet, and seed,s and little toy,s to keep your baby from being bored! The baby will keep eating when he's full. here's a thread about "Abundant feeding" http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189769-Abundent-Feeding!&highlight=abundent+feeding

Kaytee exact! even though the container show's a photo of a CAG, they need more "fat and protein", it is my recommendation to switch to Zupreem embrace plus, or Kaytee Macaw formula!

Thanks

Jayd

What pellet/seed brands and such do you recommend? I really only have access to a Petsmart or Petco and they have such a variety but I'm not sure of whats good.

What pellet/seed brands and such do you recommend? I really only have access to a Petsmart or Petco and they have such a variety but I'm not sure of whats good.

Thank you, We recommend "Zupreen Natural Pellet" and any seed mix with no or little sunflower seeds! remember, your only going to put a small amount of seeds. I believe, at Petsmart they have "Nutri- gold, [no sunflower seed] for cockatiel's which would be great for your baby right now. There's a lot of threads on pellets here, check them out. Also, put some veggies like small chunks of carrots, zucchini, yellow squash,, don't forget water, and Cheerio's!!! How about some pictures?

Thanks

Jayd

Guest ashez
Thank you, We recommend "Zupreen Natural Pellet" and any seed mix with no or little sunflower seeds! remember, your only going to put a small amount of seeds. I believe, at Petsmart they have "Nutri- gold, [no sunflower seed] for cockatiel's which would be great for your baby right now. There's a lot of threads on pellets here, check them out. Also, put some veggies like small chunks of carrots, zucchini, yellow squash,, don't forget water, and Cheerio's!!! How about some pictures?

Thanks

Jayd

I'll look into them thanks!

Guest ashez
ashez, I just noticed you updated your location and your only an hour or so away from me. If you ever need a hand with your new baby, let me know and I will help if I can. :)

That's super nice! Thank you!

Guest ashez

Since he is 8 weeks old now, should he still be getting fed every 4 hours, 4 feeds+ a day with an increase in ccs?

Guest ashez
If he is hungry and begging for it, then keep him on 4 feeds a day. Mine is down to 3 because she isn't hungry and is chowing on pellets and such. They all vary

I have the nutri ball things in his cage (the small ones) and some veggies, but he still always seems to be hungry even though he plays around/eats those...

When you first start introducing new foods to them. They experiment and play with the items ny beaking them, getting a feel for the texture and perhaps a little nip to see how it tastes. They really do not consume much at first. It is normal at that age to continue begging for and chowing down on the formula.

Need photos!!! :)

Tops is a great pellet but they don't sell it at the pet stores unless you find a bird store that does near you, they are not big pellets but they are soft pellets and Organic pellets , I just switched my birds to Tops(Totally Organic Pellets)and they love them :)also this web site sells them for a good price , this is where I order mine from.......http://www.mybirdstore.com/FOOD_TREATS-TOTALLY_ORGANICS_TOPS.html

Guest ashez

okay...yet another question....or two really....I can't teach Shaddix to step up. I try to do what is instructed on the step-up thread but no matter what I do, he doesn't want to lift his feet off the ground. I try to say step up and lift his feet but he just digs his nails into me and feels the need to bite my arm and flap his wings. Also, he doesn't like being on a perch. I've obviously just transitioned him to a big boy cage and he would rather run around on the bottom of the cage. I'm scared if I put him on a perch and just leave him there, that he will fall and hurt himself. I'm assuming these two problems take time and was wondering on some great advice from others. Thanks in advance!

As to perching, I started out with a perch that was practically on the cage floor at 7 weeks. Once she got the hang of that I added a couple more perches, each a little higher than the other. Yesterday she blew me away when she climbed to the top of the cage. I was so scared!

Can't offer advice on the stepping up as I haven't really been pushing the issue with Loki yet but with my Cockatiels and conures and such, it seems to come natural to them once they are perching regularly.

Tops is a great pellet but they don't sell it at the pet stores unless you find a bird store that does near you, they are not big pellets but they are soft pellets and Organic pellets , I just switched my birds to Tops(Totally Organic Pellets)and they love them :)also this web site sells them for a good price , this is where I order mine from.......http://www.mybirdstore.com/FOOD_TREATS-TOTALLY_ORGANICS_TOPS.html

Hi, I've contacted "TOPS" to get some info, their food sound interesting, I like the fact they state right out that fresh veggies etc, also need to be feed to our fids! My only concern is 'soaking for 8 to 10 hr's? I need to research this for proper handling. If [?] the ingredients are not fresh and viable, this could pose health issues, I'd like to see how many of a controlled amount of their product sprouts.... Will reply when I have a answer... Maggie

Guest ashez

thought I replied but it didn't post. I have a large pedi type of one as well as a smaller branch style one.