NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

swamp cooler?

bigbird519

As long as you can disable the ionizer in the machine, they're fine. Some have built in ionizers that can't be disabled and others give the option of shutting it off. Any area that contains air which has been run through an ionizer is unsafe for birds.

It's a device that cools air through the evaporation of water that's constantly added to the machine. The air then becomes extremely humid. It's good for areas that have an extreme amount of dryness. It applies to a few states in in the US where the weather is a killer. Sometime they're used in greenhouses to provide heavy humidity. That's why when you walk into a greenhouse, it feels extremely moist. Most of the plants in greenhouses need that wet air. Cacti and other succulents can't survive in that wet climate. I used to have that problem with my succulents. A long time ago, there was controversy as to what was better--AC or swamp cooler. It seems that for the general areas in the US, the AC won the battle. In other areas in the US plus other countries such as Australia and other countries with similar arid and dry climates, the coolers won the battle. People who are interested really have to do some individual investigation as to if it's good for them. The only other thing I can add is that my wife told me that many people who purchased them in Depot had lots of problems and returns happened simply because many components blew out. This is just my personal opinion but I don't think birds who live in a generally and slightly dry climate and also a slightly humid climate need such an extreme device running just to provide humidity. There's other simpler ways to achieve that. On the other hand, other states really do need that heavy humidity.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks Dave, right on! In the part of Arizona where we live, we have both, on dry days we run the swamper, and on humid days the air conditioning. The Monsoons seem to start earlier each year, so were using more air. The average electric bill jumps in the summer to $350.00 to $500.00 plus! ours goes from $60.00 to $360.00, that's when we stop eating. We try to keep our temps at 72-74 degrees, year round. Jayd

Birdhouse

There's a difference between plain clean humid air and humid fresh smelling clean air. Ionizers produce a very small amount of ozone which can contribute to a fresh spring like smell. The electrically charged air produced from an ionizer can smell very fresh. Humid air isn't supposed to smell fresh. It should have no smell.

The problem is that it is only a temporary fix and eventually, that's a part that will break down. It's always safe to disable the ionizer.

Birdhouse, I still think that unless you live in areas such as Denver, Saltlake City, Albuquerque, El Paso, Tucson or Fresno or other similar areas, a a swamp cooler isn't necessary. There's plenty of humidifiers ( all different brands) that are available, don't cost alot and work pretty well. Also, on the humidifiers, there's no replacement parts that have to be put in. They're pretty simple machines that come in all sizes and work with all size areas.

Yes... but...

Yes...

I don't need a swamp cooler since I live on a pond & the only time I'm not dehumidifying is in the dead of winter with the forced hot air. I can use normal humidifiers for that.

But...

I'm glad to learn about the ionizing, because I have a small air purifier that ionizes the air. It hasn't happened that I've used it near the birds, but now I know not to in the future.

So, as usual, I got an education today. Thank you again!

Oh, ok. I thought it was you that started the thread and was interested in getting one. Sorry bout that.

PS--if you don't use it in a bird room right next to the birds, then don't worry about. I was referring to having that machine very near them.

wow, the things you learn here. i started the thread because i do live in Colorado and i am in a rental that has no AC. so to cool off my home i was thinking of picking up a swamp cooler. it was not really for the bird, although the humidity will not be a bad thing. lol

DAVE.....

i have an air purifier that i run and it does have the option of shutting off the ionizer (it is always off). and as for humidity.....

Mojo takes at least 2 full showers a week. He is really amazing during shower time. He even lets me soak him under his wings. do you think this is enough for the humidity? I ask because we have a very dry climate and with the amount of traffic in and out of my home, the humidifier does not really do all that much.

Humidity and cleanliness are 2 different things. A parrot's skin (especially greys) dries quickly. Heavy duty baths 2x a week is great as long as you can constantly soak the bird down to the skin and then, let the bird drip dry which should hopefully take 1 hr or possibly more. Leaving your bird soaked after a bath guarantees skin that's gonna be supple.

If you feel that you'd like a little humidity around your bird, you can compromise and take the inexpensive route---$ 35 to $59.

This is a humidifier that slightly moistens the air covering about 12 x 12 ft. It's used with plain water or if it's gonna be used in a place where a sick person is that's having problems with chest cold or congestion or sore throat etc, then, Vicks liquid ( like vicks vapo rub) can be added to the water for that person. That's what the humid air will smell like. They come in 1 gal, 3 gal, 5 gal sizes. Each has a speed dial. There's different companies that make them

This one is 1 gal, can supply humid air for about 10 hrs on a full container of water. It can be purchased at all large drug stores or dept stores--this one was $35. Approx 18 inches round x 18 inches high.

CopyofDSCN0090.jpg

Edited by Dave007