NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New here with questions

Hi, my name is Stefanie, I am still searching for the right combination of birds. I really like macaws, but I would also like to get an CAG. Has anyone experience with having both of them in the same room? I am asking because of the powdered birds and macaw health issue. Who has a macaw and a COG?

My intention is on getting a redfronted macaw. Thanks, for I want to make informed choices! Also, how bad is the "white stuff" of an african grey, are they as bad as the cockatoo family when it comes to dust?

Thanks,

Stefanie

The TOO holds the record for heavy dander. The CAG comes in second. Have you ever owned or had lengthy experience with any type of large macaw? There's a world of difference between the two species. Most people who have both would keep them in the same room but an exhaust fan is used to pull out floating dander. But that's the least of your problems if you haven't been an owner of medium to large sized parrots. Many parrots don't get along with each other. Parrots need individual attention all the time. If you're intention is to get a parrot, I would suggest a medium sized parrot such as a grey, amazon or eckletus and you should only have one bird, one species, until you're very experienced with the ups and downs of parrot ownership. It's difficult but very rewarding and there's loads of people that can help.

Edited by Dave007

Dave is our resident expert on questions such as this.

I am of the same opinion he gave.

BTW - Welcome to our forum. :)

We have many people here that have multiple birds, myself included.

Do you you have or have you previously ever had a parrot? Each have a distinct personality and many will not get along very well with other species. Greys for example flock only with other Greys. Macaws, Amazons and Conures will co-habitat with other species, but even that is at limited times, not constantly.

A large parrot such as a Blue and Gold, Green wing, Scarlet etc. an be very daunting to a new parrot owner. Tyring to house two at the same time for a beginner is even more of a challenge with thrice fold things you need to learn and quickly.

I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for answering. And thanks for not advising me to get a budgie first. Thats kind of in the line what most people say.

What about getting two different species at about the same time, as babies. Would they still not get along when they mature?

Even with babies, they do not necessarily get along.

While visiting my breeders house during the 10 weeks before we could bring our Grey home. There were also babies about the same age of Macaws, Cherry heads and sun conures. The larger birds would always chase the smaller birds off after putting up with them for perhaps 30 seconds in close proximity. The smallest (Conures) of course were ran off from each group they would get close to.

For the most part, when all were out together, they would huddle up in there respective species group. Once they were fledging, only groups of each species were let out one at a time as a group, while the others remained caged..

Hello Stefanie and welcome to our family, its great you could join us.

You have been given some excellent advice from two of our most distinguished members and they tell you the truth even if it hurts but yes a macaw is not for everyone but consider what qualities you really want in a bird and not just what looks good.

Please do a lot of research to find what fits best in your lifestyle but please limit yourself to one at a time, a new bird needs lots of your time and attention and you would be spreading yourself a little thin to tackle more than one.

Hi Stefanie, welcome to the forum. I commend you on researching first before becoming a parront. Personally, I would go with the species of parrot that I wanted and go from there. I would spend some time with them and see what a macaw or a grey or at etc. etc. is really like to own. Parrots are messy in the way they eat and frankly poop a lot. I don't think people realize how demanding they really are if a person wants to do it correctly. So ask all the questions you want and read, read, read.

Thanks. Yes, I was thinking the same. Because parrots do get so old, I do not want to get a "try out bird" that is not my favorite choice! One has to start somewhen, right? I am 38 this year, my life is kind of getting settled and my kids are somewhat older. Thus I am researching right now. It is another 6-12 months before I can even think about getting a parrot, doe to moving plans.

But I contacted some local breeders and offered to clean for them, if they would give me some "parrot lessons". I hope that one responds :)

Edited by poesje

Thats just how I learned my love for parrots, I cleaned my neighbors cages every other day for her in exchange for some birdy time ;) and of course a few moulted macaw feathers.. she had an CAG and macaw, I believe she was a greenwing.. it was a wonderful few summers and many life lessons learned!!

Thanks, that´s encouraging. One forummember in another forum didn´t make fun of me, but was quite amused by my idea. So thanks for your experiences. I stil hope to find someone, that lets me handle his bird, for I really want to hear how loud they are on a norma day and what they behave like when they have to entertain themselfse etc.

Not that my kids are that old yet, but I would just love to pamper another "child" and to have an companion to carry along. For I go around 5 times a day with the dog, and that´s something a clipped or harness trained bird could easily accomany me.

Just looking forward to it.

And until than... doing my homework :)

Poesje - One other avenue you might wish to explore in learning about parrots and perhaps getting an parrot in need at a VERY affordable price. Would be to offer to volunteer at a Parrot rescue with in driving range of your area. It is a very rewarding experience and you get top notch advice and experience in dealing with every type of parrot and sometimes non-parrots that exist. :)

Dan, stop reading my mind :) I was going to recommend looking for a nearby rescue as well. Even if you end up buying a baby from a breeder, rescue work will give you a clear picture of how much work is involved in caring for a parrot, especially multiple birds of different species. We're always so happy here when we see someone like you really doing their research before taking on parronthood. You're going to make a great birdy mom!

Poesje, where in Europe are you? If I had to guess I would say Netherlands. If that's the case, I might be able to point you in the direction of some parrot rescues there, depending on what area you live in.