NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

BOOK: Winging It:A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me

Calindy

Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me

Jenny Gardiner (Author)

I am reading this book now. It has many funny moments, but it is sad in the respect that the Grey was imported (back when it was legal) and she never seemed to adjust from that trauma. It is not all about the parrot (the title makes you think it is), but also about raising a busy family and caring for the parrot and their other pets. The bird is loved, but at a distance most of the time. She also suffers some terrible injuries after falling from her perch. I have not decided how much I like this book, I am still reading it. However, it makes me so happy that we no longer import birds!

OK, this just gave me chills because it's a lot too close to home. Most of that sounds like Phenix. I will definitely add it to my reading list.

I'm very glad to see every possible measure taken to stop birds or any critter from being subjected to poaching. I have an enduring nightmare vision of Phenix being caught & the journey in between before he finally found me. It keeps me working with him, no matter how much blood's shed. And it reminds me, always, that I'm not the only one who's working hard for every little baby step he makes.

I read the reviews and visited the authors website some time ago. Based on what I read, I opted to not purchase it at that time.

I will look forward to hearing your review of it and if your opinion is it is a good read for all parrot owners.

Thanks for sharing this. :)

I have it and stopped reading it. The author may mean well but she clearly really didn't want a parrot and never should have taken it. I also don't enjoy the cynical tone. A lot of folks do enjoy that style of book so it might just be me, but I really prefer to read about overcoming hurdles, not about people complaining about how bad things are. I should have known from the title however.

I have read this book in total and it was not my favorite read and I would not recommend it to anyone. This family does not have the time or love for a parrot or any bird. I doubt very much that the author will be using my review (one was asked of me so I commented) to promote her book.

I finished the book...that poor bird NEVER got the attention she needed! So it was upsetting at times. They did have a dog that had many problems, and they spent a lot of money to help it because they felt they would never give up on their animals. I will say they did more for that poor allergic dog than most people would. However, they should have given up their bird to someone who could have spent time with it, and maybe help it thru the trauma of being wild caught. The author was so caught up in in never giving up on an animal you bring into your family, when doing so most likely would have helped make this parrots life so much better. The only good thing about this book is maybe someone who thought they wanted a parrot will realize that they are a lot of work, and many (most) do not live up to the expectations they have, and then will NOT get one, saving the poor parrot from a miserable life.