NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Armed Forces Day

Today is armed forces day in the UK, a day when we sit back and think about the sacrifices made, many in far-flung countries all over the world so that we can live our lives in peace and without fear. It's not only the dead but the terribly injured, many with life-changing injuries.

I can't pretend I agree with what's going on in afghanistan, I don't believe our men should be over there fighting this war but today is not a day for debating that. Today is a day of reflection, of thinking of those lost souls and the families remaining who will grieve until their own deaths.

I know I'm going on a bit but I have two sons in the armed forces, sons that have been to Northern Ireland, Irak and one son due to go to Afghanistan next year, I'm dreading that already. Despite all that I am fiercely protective of our armed forces, heros one and all. There is no camparison between these people and 11 overpaid prema donnas kicking a ball around a field (and I do enjoy the football) in South Africa who the minute we are knocked out of the cup will get on a plane and fly to some exotic destination to soak up the sun with their families until they are re-called back to training for the new season.

well i do think there heros actually, but at the end of the day its there job, dunno what all the fuss is about, if you join the forces you know that you can be called upon to defend your country at any time , as far as being in the situation were in now with the afgans, bottom line is the americans are our allies, we help them they help us,its that simple, not meaning to be controversial or anything by this post just thought i would put my views across, i do donate to the causes & before you ask yes i have been in the forces , i was a marine engineer mechanic in the royal navy during the falklands conflict ! i do wish all our troops the best of luck over there & it saddens me to hear the bad news on the tv, but like i say there doing there job & believe me they will be doing it well, the british forces are the best in the world !!!

well i do think there heros actually, but at the end of the day its there job, dunno what all the fuss is about, if you join the forces you know that you can be called upon to defend your country at any time , as far as being in the situation were in now with the afgans, bottom line is the americans are our allies, we help them they help us,its that simple, not meaning to be controversial or anything by this post just thought i would put my views across, i do donate to the causes & before you ask yes i have been in the forces , i was a marine engineer mechanic in the royal navy during the falklands conflict ! i do wish all our troops the best of luck over there & it saddens me to hear the bad news on the tv, but like i say there doing there job & believe me they will be doing it well, the british forces are the best in the world !!!

No you aren't being controvercial but it's funny it it mostly sericemen or ex serviecemen who hold the view that they are "just doing their job", my eldest son himself is often to be heard quoting this.

As for your view "bottom line is the americans are our allies, we help them they help us,its that simple" I'm sorry but I disagree with this and I'm not about to go into the reasons why today or on here. Maybe you could email or pm me and I will explain but not here or now.

Forgetting the opinion of the serviceman or ex serviceman, what about the families? They didn't chose to have a son or daughter, bring that child up only for him/her to chose to join up and go on to be killed in their prime.

Oh no I come on the forum and yet again bad feeling,what is happening to this forum. Please management sort it out once and for all. I think the reason Julie asked for a pm is exactly that it is not a political site. This is an off topic room and I came to this post to add my appreciation to armed forces ,British and American, and what do I find , this. I loved this forum and it is so sad what is becoming of it,.I am angry and upset.

Edited by she
  • Haha 1

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE ????

Can't you just allow others to voice their thoughts and keep your huffy opinions to yourself? What good is attacking others here??

THIS HAS TO STOP!!!!

Listen everyone, I understand that many, many of us have loved ones putting their lives on the line everyday so that we can live in peace. They fight every day in horrible conditions, FOR US! WHY? Because they chose to, they chose to do whatever was asked of them for their country. THOSE Are true heroes! Why can't everyone see that we are all deeply upset and feel very passionate when it comes to these type of subjects? It doesn't mean that we have to debate it here in such a way that it upsets others with vicious attacks? We ALL have strong feelings, sometimes it's best to keep them to our selves ESPECIALLY when we really don't know the other person as a true friend in person, they are only members from ALL over the world.

I AM REALLY SICK OF COMING HERE DAILY AND SEEING THESE TYPES OF THINGS. WE USED TO BE A FAMILY, BUT YOU GUYS ARE TURNING THIS INTO A PLACE THAT I, AND MANY, NO LONGER WISH TO COME. AS ADMIN, I AM ASHAMED THAT I CAN'T KEEP THESE TYPES OF PERSONAL ATTACKS FROM HAPPENING....:(

THIS IS A BIRD FORUM! IF THIS CONTINUES IN THE DIRECTION THIS FORUM HAS BEEN GOING, I WILL LOCK AND REMOVE ALL ROOMS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH BIRDS!!!!

I'm with Penny on this.

WE need to understand each person has very strong emotional feelings tied to things such as this thread is about.

I served in the heat of the Vietnam war and signed up willingly. However, I do not truly know how my parents felt (Father served in WWII) at the time.

With that said, I agree with both sides of the issue that came up in regards well wishes to our and other lands troops, wherever they are. WE all wish them well, consider them heroes and respect what they are doing while putting their lives on the line each day.

Whether this war is politically correct or not, are the joint allies are in it (for the most part) and the ultimate goal is to help free Afghanistan from the cruel, inhumane and threat this radical group of Taliban are to them and the world.

Again, I respect each persons opinions and heart felt emotions regarding this.

Peace to you all and best wishes to those with family in the service, that were in the service and those that have none in the service, but we all enjoy the freedom from these joint allies, there families that have sacrificed and those that are giving the ultimate sacrifice of their very lives to do so.

Each and everyone of you has my support in your own personal feelings.

No Defaming a person's Political Views!

No Defaming a Person's Sexual Preferances! Everyone needs to be happy in whatever direction they choose

No Defaming or accusations concerning why people's politics are different.

No Defaming of a Person's nationality!

No Defaming a person's Ethnicity!

No Defaming a Person's Lifestyle!

No Defaming a Person's Educational Levels!

No Defaming a person's thoughts on Marriage, Divorce

No Defaming a person's inability to speak the most used language in the western Civilization. Were proud of other countries here.

Using the PM Feature here is recommended if the above needs to be further discussed or disagreed with.

People----keep it private!!

AND, if using the PM service still doesn't solve things between individual people, please keep the admin and mods out of the PM conversations. We're not referees nor do we wanna take sides. Stop crying on our shoulders and YES, that's exactly what's been going on!!

Edited by Dave007

I can't help wondering if maybe Jay saw something anti-American in my thread but really the thread was posted as a tribute to our servicemen it was not a political statement and I felt it was hijacked and turned into a political thread. I did what Penny advises and asked for Venom to pm me if he wanted to take the discussion further, he didn't and no pms were exchanged between me and anyone else on the subject. There aren't many more pro American Brits than me, Judy and Janet are among my favourite posters on the forum and I posted on your 9/11 anniversary thread and cried with you when the events unfolded.

Thank you evryone for the replies especially Dave and Dan who talk a lot of sense, I will not be making any more posts on this thread. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am sorry that your thread was turned into a political fiasco as I am sure it was not your intention but I think we can all agree that we disagree on certain subjects but I saw nothing anti American in your opening post, it was a heartfelt one and was sincere but it was turned into something ugly that I do not care to see here again. Why don't we get back to why we are here in the first place, our birds, namely our greys for they come first and foremost here on this forum and squabbles between members should remain private as it was intended instead of drawing everyone into a slugfest that no one wins, just hard feelings and members lost.