NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

4th of July issues

birdhouse

In our neighborhood, this was night 1 of this year's 10 day celebration of the 4th of July. Phenix talked incessantly. Kura bounced off her perch a few times. Charm tried to out-do the noise. No one in the house likes firecrackers except me. :(

Besides the fireworks, there will be an air show this weekend. No matter it's about 20 miles away. That's nothing as the planes fly & most of that distance is over water. The different air traffic & its noise will help keep the birds on edge for the next couple of days.

I love the 4th & everything else about it, except what it does to my critters. By this time next week, they'll all be stressing. And that's before the actual 4 days of mad boat & car traffic, barbecues, bonfires & fireworks.

I'm curious to know how everyone & their fids handle the holiday. Would really appreciate hearing from people about how they help their fids through the happy insanity of the 4th of July.

Edited by birdhouse

Wow that is quite a celebration at 10 days but there is no problem here where I live as it is out in the country and they don't even hear any fireworks, they are too far off to be of any bother to my fids, its just another day in paradise to them but I can imagine it is a problem where people live in close proximity to one another or live close to where fireworks are put off.

All regulated fireworks shows are required to have that show many miles from any residential areas. The area of the show is usually wide and totally open. After effects and air wave shocks are always minimal. Any large audible explosions are not reverberating. 20 miles is extremely far away. The only thing you'll see is the light show and hear low, minor explosions. Your birds shouldn't be affected by that especially when it's 20 miles away.

What you do need to worry about is kids nearby who are setting off M80s, Ash Cans and Cherry Bombs. Those will cause problems because the birds will be very startled and they may jump off of thiings if out of the cage . The best place to be is near a cage when those things go off and stay there until you think the birds aren't as shocked and fearful anymore. That allows a person to keep an eye on them and for them to keep an eye on a person. There really is no way to prevent a bird from being extremely startled. You can move the cage, cover the cage but none of those things are gonna mask explosions.

Actually, a very good way to control these situations is to have a very strong BB gun and shoot these kids in the ass when they're around.

Edited by Dave007

Wow, birdhouse! You guys really do the 4th up big time! Here in hot, dry Texas, the use of fireworks is usually pretty controlled and limited within the city. We mainly have a big show at the park, and it's more about light than noise. So we haven't really had a problem with this yet with the fids.

Sounds like Dave has some good advice. I wonder if it would help to have more noise going on inside the house, so the fireworks wouldn't stand out so much. It would probably help that the birds see you not being alarmed. But I'm sure they can't help being startled ... it's just instinct.

Yes, Judy, there are definately advantages to living in the country. But, it's not so cityfied as I guess it sounds. I live on the coast and near a large number of water bodies. This is a place people go for vacation & summer recreation. Summer always begins the weekend before the 4th & it's great... if you don't have feathers or fur.

The air show is on the bay 15-20 miles down river. Again, when it's over water, sound & repercussions can really travel. We're in the flight path & if a plane makes some of those booms or flies low enough to feel, I'm going to jump, too. Meanwhile, it sounds like thunderstorms.

I'm fine with the fireworks. Professional fireworks are anywhere up or down the river, as little as a couple of miles away. Private fireworks might be anywhere, but especially wherever there's water & I live on a pond. Firecrackers etc. are just unavoidable this week & I wish it was just the kids.

There's always the random percent of idiots, of course. Yes, Dave, sometimes a BB gun would be tempting. I know it would make Phenix laugh. But for the most part, people handle their fun pretty well.

The birds just don't tune out the smoke smells, commotion & general changes in their routine & usually peaceful environment. It's not fun for them to be outside this week so I keep them in. Less time out of the cage because it's safer if only one is out at a time. Thanks Birdnut, there's extra noise in the house. It helps mask the noises outside, some. But that's still another change for them AND they don't get to go to sleep on time.

It's just a little harder for them & it all adds up. I'm always looking for ways to make things a little easier if I can. So, thanks a bunch for everyone's suggestions. Please keep them coming.

I was thinking of putting Kito and Charlie down in the basement in our bar and leaving the stereo on. There are no windows in that area and it's relatively soundproof from normal outside noises. Then I thought you know, we have had some pretty strong thunderstorms on a regular basis this summer. What do you think of this? http://theparrotuniversity.com/bonfire.php

I personally like Dave's idea of the BB gun, heh heh heh!!

You & Dave, both... "I can get in trouble all by myself"... Don't encourage me! :rolleyes:

We've been having some unsettling weather this spring, too, Malikah. Great thunderstorms. The pond attracts the lightening & the thunder can shake the house. Unfortunately, the fids don't share my appreciation of this & my 85 lb dog climbs in my pocket. I wish I didn't have a dirt crawlspace so I could build a padded room for them, or maybe me, or maybe both. :confused:

If you wanted me to see where they conditioned the birds before hand, that looked interesting. I never thought to make it last even longer to make it less stressful. But I get it. I'll see what they do if I crank the receiver volume & subwoofer up, gradually. Maybe it can help next year. Thanks.

Also, does anyone have any dietary suggestions? Any recommended diet for short term stress like we'd change their diet during molting or breeding seasons? Thanks, again.

• 2 weeks later...

And we aren't done, yet.

Went down the street with the dog just now while watching a little fireworks show in a neighbor's yard.

I just thought this was how the 4th was for everyone until this. And then, I saw Boz Scaggs at the Melody tent in Hyannis on Saturday. Highly recommend it if you get the chance & dinner at the Paddock, first.

The first thing he said when he came on stage was something like, 'Boy, you really celebrate the 4th of July around here! Just the fireworks, alone!! We don't do it like this in California. It would probably burn the place down.'

I started to laugh after what you all had been saying. So, I guess I just got a lesson about our own little mixed blessing.

I think 10 nights would drive me crazy. We had 3 nights of firework action right here in my back yard. Which was fine, but I was glad when Monday rolled around. They started with the firecrackers and bottle rockets early so I left Kito in her livingroom cage and turned on the bird tv dvd pretty loud. Charlie just got the radio turned up in the play room and I covered the part of his cage that is in front of the window. They had to stop by 11 pm. or the police would come. My fids both handled it fine, but were a little more nappy in the afternoon partially because of the hour and a half less sleep each night. I didn't change their diet at all. I wonder if rescue remedy is safe for birds. Does anybody have experience with that or any other calming food or herbs that are bird safe?

In my area, Washington state, it is legal for the public to use fireworks that are airborne. Even in town, people were shooting off fireworks, its insane. My fids and dog were fine even though people were shooting rockets off on in the street in front of my home. I guess we're lucky it's still very wet this time of year in Washington state.

I didn't change their diet at all. I wonder if rescue remedy is safe for birds. Does anybody have experience with that or any other calming food or herbs that are bird safe?

Wish someone could answer that & recommend a stress diet.

I've never done anything more than change their routine & try to be super sensitive to them. I wouldn't say they suffer, but it is stressful for a while. Things calm down some & they eventually adjust. This is just the beginning of summer as we know it.