NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Some type of bug on my Grey

Howeroll

Hello all a few weeks ago I found a bug that looks like an ant under my greys cage. I cleaned them up and didn't see them again until I gave him a shower yesterday and 1 came off of him. Then this morning I gave him another shower and there was 3 that came off of him. I should have taken a photo. I will if I see them again. Has anyone had this problem before? My grey doesn't go outside and is only around my other Quaker parrot who has never had anything on him and still doesn't.

Thanks for any help.

Since you're not sure of the type of bug it is, you'll need to go to an avian vet. He may need a special chemical bath and a vet is the only one that carries that product. We don't give out information or diagnose problems like that and we know nothing about the area he lives in or the area that surrounds him. As far as pesticides, the only ones available are items that are put aroung or near bird cages and surronding areas so that the bugs don't come near the bird/cage. None of the pesticdes are put on birds.

This post has to do with bugs on or in your bird's feathers/skin.

Edited by Dave007

If it is, in fact, ants. I have found that meticulous cleaning and vacuuming to remove any possible food source usually takes care of the problem. Ants (and other insects) that are attracted to food will not come around UNLESS there is something for them to eat. Bear in mind that pesticides are not a good idea, and aerosols are especially harmful to birds. If they are ants they will have three clearly segmented body regions and have six legs. Their antennae are not straight but "elbowed." Hope that helps.