NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ban on new pet sales in S.F.

Spock

Thanks JJ'sHoney

New possible pet sales ban in San Francisco Calif!!!!!

Their talking about adding "Companion Birds" !!!

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/06/pets_still_can_be_sold_at_pet.php

In a city where plastic bags are semi-illegal, is a ban on selling cats, dogs and other mammals at pet stores so outrageous?

Well, maybe, which is why the city's Animal Commission put off a final decision on just such a ban on Thursday night (Bay City News, via SF Appeal).

The ban is the brainchild of Philip Gerrie of the city's Commission of Animal Control & Welfare. The ban would "discourage excessive animal breeding and minimize the number of animals euthanized in city animal shelters," he said.

As happens with any city animal debate, two sides quickly formed, and began hating each other: on the one, representatives from stores like PETCO who preached caution and compromise; on the other, folks who recommended extending the ban to all kinds of God's creatures.

That's a bit off base, according to Gerrie. The whole point was to put an end to the sale of young dogs bred at something called "puppy mills." Puppy mills aren't quite like steel mills or windmills, but are suffice to say awful.

After a two-hour hearing, the seven-member commission kicked any decision down the road to its July 8th meeting.

Spock

Edited by Spock

It works now Bonnie and this is sad news but something has to be done about the "puppy mills" as no animal should have to endure the appalling conditions they are put under to make a buck, I say go after the people who run these mills and make them provide whats necessary to ensure a happier and healthier pet.

Thanks for postng this.

It's 3am here, up due to pressing work to get done, too many software release projects and low on resources.

But, this is a topic I have strong feelings about and they are towards the advent of these large petstore chains that popped up all over the country in almost every city. I drives me nuts, seeing how the different critters on put on display in little 1 foot by one plastic display shelve containers, get little interaction other than people wlking by, tapping on the glass and harassing the critters. I know the people don't think they are harassing them, but they are and scaring the hell out of them.

The stores hire cheap people with little or no knowledge and thus the critters do not get the true care and interactions they need to be a truly healthy happy pet that an individual breeder provides to individuals and many asses the individual before letting their much loved and raised baby critter. The petstores don't care and sell them to any moron with the money.

The mega stores have resulted in these puppy, cat, bird etc. mills that house babies by the thousands in bad conditions, disease prevalent and miss-treated critters. I hope more cities pass laws like this and stop that cycle and cause the mills to go broke. The stores can just keep selling food and care products and make huge profits.

I miss the days that a city may have one or two little petshops owned by caring people that take pride in caring for the critters they have, interact with them and help the people that are interested in them, assist them on how to care for them and yes, take them back if the pet was more than the people could handle. This has almost disappeared across america.

Thats all I'm gonna write now, but could produce volumes if I wasn't so pressed for time. Anyway, I hope that city ordinance passes and other cities start following suite.......