NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Vikings are Coming!!!

Guest Lidia

Thousands of people lined the quays in Dublin today to welcome the Viking longship, "The Sea Stallion".

The vessel, an exact replica of one built in the 11th century, docked at Custom House Quay this afternoon after an epic six-week voyage from Denmark.

Just before two o'clock, the ship and its 65 person crew berthed on the Liffey, accompanied by a flotilla of naval and other vessels.

The longship left Roskilde in Denmark six weeks ago, following the traditional Viking route across the North Sea and around Scotland.

I'm having problems posting the photos here, I will try to put them in later.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/08/14 20:38

14_August_2007_069.jpg

5_June_2007_007.jpg

Just for good measure, this is another replica ship, this time the Jeannie Johnston, one of the ships that took people away from Ireland during the Great Famine of the 1840s. She's usually parked where the viking longboat is moored today.

5_June_2007_007.jpg

5_March_2007_008.jpg

Oh, good lord! I am ship crazy today! That last photo is in no way the Jeannie Johnston! That boat is a replica galleon that came in for the maritime festival last in June. This is the Jeannie Johnston!

5_March_2007_008.jpg