NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

very new

hi all, i just inherited a 10-12 yr old african grey, and a cockateil. both birds were owned by my sister for about 8-10 years, then she passed away 2 years ago. her fiance' had been taking care of them for last 2 years, however he is not home for most of the day, and can not give the birds the attention they need, the african grey had started plucking his feathers. he brought the birds and cages over sunday, now the poor things have gone from being alone all day to having 2 adults, a teenager, a west highland terrier and cat around. we have the birds in an enclosed porch. havent had much experience with birds other than parakeets, but i have experience with reptiles, and the commitment needed to keep them. so far he has been eating and playing with his toys, i let him out last night, i just opened the cage and let him climb out onto the floor, then he hopped up on my hand and i put him on the top of the cage, where he hung out for a while then climbed back into the cage on his own..this morning he started talking. i assume these are good signs. is there anything special i should or shouldnt be doing, for the situation i am in, i figure the poor guy has got to be pretty freaked out.

Hello Pompous and Welcome!!! :-)

It sounds like you have done all the right things so far. You are letting the Parrots get acquainted with their new home and Flock.

If you and the Grey are comfortable enough, you may try opening the Cage door and slowly moving your hand in and trying to get the Grey to step up on to your hand to remove him/her from the Cage.

There is a Ton of information on this Forum that covers Topics you need to familiarize yourself with such as Diet, Training and Health Etc.

If you have any immediate questions or in need of urgent assistance, post them in the African Grey Section and you will get many replies from very experienced Grey owners.

We are very much a Family of members here and love our Greys and Members to death.

We also love to see photos of your Flock when you get a chance. :woohoo:

Again - WELCOME!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I would take your new birds in for a bird check up. Also if it is as hot where you live as where I live you need to take measures to keep your birds from over heating. A fan with a block of ice in front of it at all times is one way to do this.

Quewelcome.gif

Greetings and welcome!

Please read through the forum, use search options and post any questions you have. We truly are a great group of caring members here willing to share and learn from one another. My guess is that the stress of losing their primary care giver must have been difficult for all (humans and animals alike). I think it is great that you are willing to take on the responsibility of caring for your sister's pets. This is a true commitment, but one that can be infinitely rewarding. African Greys (and parrots in general) are complex, special, intelligent and amazing creatures that live a very long time.

We look forward to your participation. B) Let us know how we can help.;)

Hi & Welcome! What a wonderful thing you are doing for those special birds. You should find all the information here you need. But if you don't please feel free to post a question, you'll get lots of help quickly. We have members that are always on ready to help. You'll love it here, a very caring group of family here.

Looking forward to hearing more, and seeing pictures, we love them! Keep us updated!! :)

thanks all, i have been browsing around and learning. yesterday we opened the cage and Kenworth came out, climbed up top, then my wife got him to sit on her arm. he didnt want to come out today. he has been eating well, and been talking durring the day. he tells the cockateil to be quet, and makes a knock knock noise and says who is it, or come in. these were my sisters babies, her fiance' hated to give them up, but he is concerned for the welfare of the birds.. i do have some questions which i will be posting, great forum, great community...

We are here to answer any questions you may have, all you have to do is ask, if we don't know we will try our best to get you the answer. We are all family here and everyone is willing to help.

I am glad all is going well for the moment and I commend you for taking in these birds.:)