NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Safe Temperature Range for a Grey

danmcq

I have searched for some solid facts on the temperature range an African Grey can handle. There is no real factual information I can find other than topics written on the web by Grey owners like you and I.

Does anyone here know of a solid resource that is based on scientific studies?

Obviously, normal inside home temperatures are fine, but outside trips are what I am concerned with here.

The temperatures here vary from 112 in the summer afternoons to lows of sometimes 16 degrees in the winter (rare, but sometimes). I know the extremes would be unacceptable, but there is a normalized range, I am certain that would be "Ok" for short reasonable periods of time.

I can attempt to look through my collection of books for an official value. Yet all things considered, looking up the temperature range of the area they are native to: the rain forest in Africa, would make the most sense.

As for myself, I go based on the status of the plumage an the respiration. If the feathers are fluffed out and he's all tucked in, its likely too cold. If he's got his feathers flat and all put away like he's scared, and usually accompanied by panting, he's too hot. Also, birds use their feet to cool off or keep warm much like a dog pants or a human sweats. Body tucked down on the feet is cold obviously and standing high with the toes spread is hot.

On hot car ride I will bring a spray bottle and give them a light mist. I make sure to get under the wings and nearly soak the front of the wing where the heavy veins are. Furthermore spraying water on their feet cools them off most effectively.

My breeder pair live outside but they get use to the temps cause they have been there all year.

I have not taken Topaz out in this weather except late evening and early morning and even then I worry.

Even birds that are use to it need to be in the shade and have moving air. And they drink lots of water.

From what I understand, birds acclimate to temperature rather well. but from what I've gathered its not good to take them from one extreme to the other. Heck the other night I left the bird room window open, it got down to about 65 or so, but wasn't terribly cold in there and none of them were shivering in the morning, to be honest I think they enjoyed the break from the 90* temps!

Here in Hawaii it is about 85-90 year round and we rarely use our air conditioner (but we leave all the windows open). Makena doesn't seem to mind but I can tell sometimes he gets a little hot upstairs (around 90 most days) when we bring him up to play... His cage is downstairs which is usually around 80 during the day and 70 at night. When it gets really hot we will keep the air on for him at about 78. What we are worried about is we are thinking about moving to Seattle in a couple of years... talk about one extreme to another! I guess Makena is going to have to learn the concept of seasons!

Makena, that will be a big change, from Hawaii to Washington state. He will have to stay inside more in Seattle, and won't see the sun as much as in Hawaii. But they adjust just fine to wherever they live, people all over the world have them and they acclimate to their surroundings.

• 2 years later...

I thought I'd revive this thread, to see if any new info is available. I've been taking Earl for walks everyday, but ended up skipping yesterday as it never got above 60. Today was 64, and Earl seemed to be quite happy during our walk, so right now I'm considering it safe to walk him any time the temperature is between 64 and 98 (which is based mostly on what temperatures I can be comfortable in while wearing a t-shirt...). That said, I'd really like to get some input.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow im terrified to bring the temp down passed 68f thinking my poor bird will freeze, but I really want to drop the temp down low 60's at night to save on heating bill. I guess 64f is a good temp. Too bad there is no definite answer to this question. I have been looking for one for the past 2 years.

We have thermostat set to 66 right now, and sasha doesn't seem to mind it at all.

I asked breeder about it, she said it can depend on bird, but generally anything above 60 is fine.

When I take it into bathroom in morning it can be 50-55 in there. It shivers a bit but I am not sure if it is because of the cold or because he knows it is bath time! (the shower heats up the room really quick)<br><br>Post edited by: harmar, at: 2009/10/21 15:00

• 6 years later...

Potentially upper 40's is OK, See my explanation below:

I live in SW Florida, and it's rare we get cold weather. Sake is free flight, so she has the entire lanai when she is not in her cage. The cage is very large and outside, and I have a second smaller cage inside. I try to leave her out as much as possible so she can fly around. She is currently 6 years old, so a fairly young bird. I went to bed last night around 1:00 am and it was 52 outside. She was fluffed up, but not shivering at all. I know she hates the small cage, so I don't bring her in unless it's going to drop below the upper 40's. I think what the above person's breeder said, it depends on the bird is good consideration. Because Sake is mostly an outside and free flight bird, she is in MUCH better physical health than most, and her age helps. Also, her diet is much better than most. I get my food for her from "For The Birds" here in town recommended by 'the bird lady' as a better selection than most pet stores. She also gets fresh avocado, mango, and various citrus fruits fresh from my trees when in season. So no GMO or fertilizers have been used on them.

Also being full flight = full feathers and a bit more insulation when her wings are closed. Also note that my lanai and her cage, due to the position of my house and landscape are greatly protected from wind, so she is not dealing with wind chill.

To be honest, if someone made a heated parrot perch that would maintain a low - mid 80's temp, I would bet if there was no wind, below freezing temps would be tolerable overnight. Feet and lungs are where they are going to lose the most heat, if one could address the feet, I'd bet it make a huge difference.

TJ

Potentially upper 40's is OK, See my explanation below:

I live in SW Florida, and it's rare we get cold weather. Sake is free flight, so she has the entire lanai when she is not in her cage. The cage is very large and outside, and I have a second smaller cage inside. I try to leave her out as much as possible so she can fly around. She is currently 6 years old, so a fairly young bird. I went to bed last night around 1:00 am and it was 52 outside. She was fluffed up, but not shivering at all. I know she hates the small cage, so I don't bring her in unless it's going to drop below the upper 40's. I think what the above person's breeder said, it depends on the bird is good consideration. Because Sake is mostly an outside and free flight bird, she is in MUCH better physical health than most, and her age helps. Also, her diet is much better than most. I get my food for her from "For The Birds" here in town recommended by 'the bird lady' as a better selection than most pet stores. She also gets fresh avocado, mango, and various citrus fruits fresh from my trees when in season. So no GMO or fertilizers have been used on them.

Also being full flight = full feathers and a bit more insulation when her wings are closed. Also note that my lanai and her cage, due to the position of my house and landscape are greatly protected from wind, so she is not dealing with wind chill.

To be honest, if someone made a heated parrot perch that would maintain a low - mid 80's temp, I would bet if there was no wind, below freezing temps would be tolerable overnight. Feet and lungs are where they are going to lose the most heat, if one could address the feet, I'd bet it make a huge difference.

TJ

This thread is old, but since you posted just today - you realize avocado can kill a bird right? There are some studies out there that show African Greys are particularly susceptible to the persin in avocado and it can lead to cardiac arrest.

In that interest I'd like to know how much avocado you have fed your bird. Chocolate is another known killer in certain amounts however mine has stolen a chocolate bar and ate some of it with no ill affects.