NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Where the Wild Greys Are - Grey Parrot Conservation Graphic videos

Ozzysmom

Those are very old videos. That practice was stopped in 1992. It's against the law to do that and anyone doing or trying to do that can be arrested by local people who are hired to catch the poachers. That trapping was done so the birds could be exported.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I happened upon this post because the World Parrot Trust recently initiated a campaign directly related to the trade in wild-caught African Grey Parrots, and I have been trying to spread the word through forums and groups whom have a particular affinity for the Greys. And while this thread is very old, it is still a great opportunity to clear up some of the discussion points.

It is a sad fact that there are still 9,000 Greys a year being legally trapped and exported from two African countries (DRC and Congo Brazzaville), and many thousands more being trapped illegally. The methods shown in these videos remain the methods of choice.

In 1992, the USA did stop importing wild Greys, so in that sense, American participation in creating markets for these birds did stop at that time. And the same can be said for the EU which stopped importing in 2007. Now the demand is coming from the Middle East and Asia.

The petition launched last week by the World Parrot Trust was directed at the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), who is meeting this week in Geneva and will decide whether to suspend trade in thousands of African Grey Parrots from Cameroon and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

In the DR Congo, annual export quotas have been exceeded virtually every year. From 2005-2010, they exported an average of over 3,100 individuals in excess of their CITES approved quota. In Cameroon from 2000-2005, exports averaged over 3,700 birds in excess of their export quota. The World Parrot Trust is therefore urging the CITES Secretariat to recommend suspending all trade in these birds from Congo and Cameroon.

If you would like to learn more about this latest petition effort by the WPT, please visit our FlyFree website at:

http://www.parrots.org/flyfree/cites-petition.html

And for information on the latest conservation efforts done by the WPT, visit:

http://www.parrots.org

All the best,

Michelle @ World Parrot Trust

It is a sad fact that there are still 9,000 Greys a year being legally trapped and exported from two African countries (DRC and Congo Brazzaville), and many thousands more being trapped illegally. The methods shown in these videos remain the methods of choice.

Thank you so much, Michelle. Many people don't realize that this practice still continues - and certainly not just Greys!

I signed the petition to get this stopped, and it's amazed me that something hasn't been done! It's disgusting and cruel. African Greys, and indeed other parrots, are being bred in captivity, so why the need to trap them and export them? It makes my blood boil.