NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Video, Baby Grey Pigging Out!

Jayd

I want to know how to get a Grey to try a spoon. I tried it with mine and all he did was flick his head side to side like it tasted bad and fling it everywhere. I was hoping he would take to the spoon because we make one HUGE mess with the syringe. Never had such a messy bird

Hi! Spock hated the syringe so as soon as we were sure that he had hand-feeding done pat, we got a plastic spoon from McDonald's (Wendy's worked too) and take a lighter or candle. On the bottom front half, heat the spoon until it's pliable. It shouldn't be too hot and squeeze the tip so you get a more of a curved tip rather than a wide end. It may have a little soot on it but just wash the spoon and it will be fine. Spock loves it and the shape and the tip fits the lower mandible better. It also teaches them when they get older, how to lap up soft food. You still have to have the bobbing motion when feeding and if they are chirping or making noise while eating, it is harder for them to aspirate. (The spoons will eventually crack so make up a few). After washing ours, we always sterilize everything with apple cider vinegar. It doesn't hurt anything and all our birds like vinegar LOL.

Maggie

I wish Kito had been that easy to feed! She was a lazy lazy single hatch baby. An experienced breeder probably would have syringe fed her properly, but I just used a syringe to dump formula in her mouth one bite at a time. I used a little soup thermos to put hot water in to keep the glass of formula warm enough long enough for her highness to finish a meal.

I wish Kito had been that easy to feed! She was a lazy lazy single hatch baby. An experienced breeder probably would have syringe fed her properly, but I just used a syringe to dump formula in her mouth one bite at a time. I used a little soup thermos to put hot water in to keep the glass of formula warm enough long enough for her highness to finish a meal.

I have found mine to be quite lazy too. The only way we don't make a huge mess it seems is if I do like you described. Loki certainly doesn't have the type of feeding response I am used to with my conures or tiels.... they gobble it up.