NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greys with other birds

greymullet

There should be no problem intoroducing a new bird, even a diferent bird into your household but sharing a cage is a definate nono. In your house which your grey was the first to reside in, you should always feed and interact with your grey first before feeding the conure as he sees himself as the boss and flock leader. His cage is HIS territory and he will defend it by fighting the conure off, possibly killing it in the process. When allowing the two out of their cages together they will need to be supervised at all times. I don't allow my two out together, they do get on but only if they keep their distance from one another when out of their cages. Some do co-exist when out of their cages but I would never recomend cage sharing.

How do greys do with other birds? A friend's elderly parents need to rehome a sun conure. Both in same cage okay?

Not if you want the conure to stay alive. You cannot put another bird in your grey's cage, it has to have a separate cage no matter what the other bird is even if it is another grey. Outside the cage they might get along and might not, I have a grey and a sun conure and they do not like each other but they coexist as long as I keep them a safe distance from one another.

Julie and Judy's advice is spot on.

I had a conure when I brought my grey home. My grey does not like the conure.

Even if you wanted to bring home another grey, the answer to both being in the same cage would still be no.

You just never know if two birds will like each other or not.

My Ana Grey HATES my male ekkie, who just minds his own business)except when he is hormonal). She dive bombs his head all the time. Ana Grey steals his food constantly. I'm surprised she doesn't fear his beak which is four times bigger than hers. I shudder to think about when Sully can also fly. I think people who have more than one bird that they can leave alone together are lucky and I envy them. I am not one of them. smileysad.gif

Yes, they will be fine living in the same home together, but not in the same cage! There is no way to predict if they will or will not get long. But they will tolerate each other once they realize neither is going anywhere.:)