NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cherrio's bad?

mrjayd

I just took Nala in for her initial checkup to the vet today and they told me and gave me some documentation about cherrio's being bad for greys. Something about zinc being in them and one of the things it could cause is feather picking among other things too.

Anyone else ever here of this?

Cheerios is the first thing I introduce to baby chicks at about 5 weeks old. They push them around, try to bite them, play with them and finally, as a few more weeks pass, they finally start eating tiny bits. You could say that it's their first solid food. I use the multi colored cheerios and I've never had any problems with the cheerios. I've been doing it for years. They love the different colors.

Cheerios is the first thing I introduce to baby chicks at about 5 weeks old. They push them around, try to bite them, play with them and finally, as a few more weeks pass, they finally start eating tiny bits. You could say that it's their first solid food. I use the multi colored cheerios and I've never had any problems with the cheerios. I've been doing it for years. They love the different colors.

Exactly what I have read and have been told by many breeders so wondering why the vet says they have too much zinc in them and are bad.

Cherrio's and other cereals are good for your bird, as others already pointed out. The one thing to be cautious of is how much sugar it may have and the quantity your bird eats.

Zinc is actually an essential mineral humans and critters alike need.

The problems come when too much of anything is consumed in large doses. A bird can receive huge dose of zinc by chewing on a metal item made of 100 percent zinc, so can a human.

I have used the colored cheerios to teach my birds their colors for years. I also use them to teach counting. These birds are about the same level as a kindergartner, so I treat them like one.

i.e. red, green , yellow and 2 red 1 green, etc.

Guest jamalbirdbiz

When i tryed to reween molly i used cheerios. she wasnt about it. you mite have better luck. let us all know.