NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wing clip question

Birdnut

Our Moussa is about 16 weeks old now. He is a very energetic, curious and confident baby.

Moussa had his first four flight feathers on each side clipped at the store where we bought him. They are trimmed about half-way down the shaft, just so he wouldn't fly out of the pen they had him in with some other baby greys. He can fly pretty well, even so, and I have been glad to see him learning to control his flights and landings better and better as he practices.

Our vet recommends strongly that any clipping done on the larger birds be done close to the shaft of the feather, just under the coverts. He is concerned that sharp, stubby feathers can contribute to irritation and possibly lead to feather mutilation problems.

So this is my dilemma. I can understand the reasons why we might want to get the feathers clipped as our vet recommends (temporarily, as all our birds are flighted). But I am concerned that doing so might degrade his flying ability, as it is now, and I don't want to do that, as I think that the flying contributes to his confidence.

Any thoughts on this?

I am concerned that doing so might degrade his flying ability, as it is now, and I don't want to do that, as I think that the flying contributes to his confidence.

You are so right and why not just leave the wings unclipped period and allow your grey full flight, there is no reason to clip the wings at all even a slight clip, one that has not been clipped ever has more confidence and besides they were born to fly and they are just more well adjusted if they do.

My grey is a perfect example, she was clipped when she fledged and she has not attained a full set of flight feathers on one side due to her chewing on them and she is 4 years old, she has never flown since and she does not have the confidence I feel she would have if she had been left unclipped.

To clip or not to clip that is the question. My grey was clipped by her breeder and it took over year for Ana Grey to become flighted again. Ana Grey is fearless and very loving. She flies to me when I call, "come here" and gives me beak touches on my cheek. I totally love it and feel she is much safer flighted as now I don't have to worry about stepping on her and crushing her to death. Ana Grey is very confident and very loving. So my vote is for a flighted bird!!!! That is my personal choice.

I had originally planned to clip per my breeders recommendation. Then I came here and read all I could about it. In the end, I decided to leave him flighted and I am thankful every day that he can fly. It really is a beautiful thing. I wouldn't dream of taking his flight from him.

You are right in your gut feeling not to clip him. ;)

Thanks for all your responses. I am really gratified to see all this passion for flighted birds, as that is also my feeling. All our birds are flighted.

I don't think I made my question clear. There is no question that we intend to allow Moussa to be flighted. But he had already been clipped at the store. This clipping was done taking only part of the feathers, leaving a sharp, stubby end. Our vet worries that these sharp, stubby ends could be an irritant to a bird, and prefers to take the feather off at the shaft.

I don't want Moussa to experience irritation from these feathers and possibly problems. But he can fly pretty well with this partial clip, and I don't want to inhibit the ability to fly that he has now. Either way, we will let these feather grow back and not clip him again (which it sounds like will take about a year ... sigh)

I really wish they hadn't clipped him at the store. To give them credit, they did ask me if I wanted him clipped or not, but then realized that he had already been clipped, since he was the older of the babies. I could have chosen an unclipped baby instead, but Moussa just charmed me with his personality and I fell for him ... what can I say?

• Haha 1

I don't want Moussa to experience irritation from these feathers and possibly problems. But he can fly pretty well with this partial clip, and I don't want to inhibit the ability to fly that he has now. Either way, we will let these feather grow back and not clip him again (which it sounds like will take about a year ... sigh)

Honestly I would wait and see if the edges bother him, as you say he already gets good lift with what he has now! If at some point he begins to chew I would then take him to the vet and try to get them fixed before a promblem starts :)

Those clipped feathers are gonna die and fall out much sooner than a set of unclipped feathers which is good. It has to do with blood supply to the wings. Some clips cause irritations but those clips usually are chop jobs where the feathers were clipped much to close to the body in the first place. Many times, birds are uncomfortable with clipped feathers but it's not the norm for the stubby, scratchy ends to cause skin irritations. Feather mutilation--only if your bird has a constant habit of yanking out feathers for the smallest reasons plus if he was a mulittator, he'd be going after other feathers too. Usually, birds constantly preen those clipped feathers as well as other feathers and those clipped ones fall out quicker because your bird is helping it along as far as falling out. It really doesn't matter where the vet clips--they'll always be a stubby end to that feather.

Thanks, Dave007. Those are encouraging words. I am decided at this point to leave the feathers as they are, unless I see that they are obviously causing problems.

Moussa is such an awesome bird. I feel a strong sense of responsibility with him, as well as affection, and want to do the best I can for him.