NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My grey doesn't like me

caleigha

When we adopted him from the previous owners, they told us that he didn't like women as much as men. Well...my bird loves my husband, and loves my 5 kids (all of whom are boys), and doesn't like me. at. all. And I totally love him SO much - definitely a one way street.

Most of the time when I try to give him a head scratch he pulls his head into that very aggressive posture that I call his flamingo stance. And he will follow through with the bite if I don't take the hint and back off. He doesn't do that with any of the guys in the house. When they say "head scratch" and hold up their hand he bends his little head down to help them reach the back of his head. He's very thoughtful like that. ha ha

There are times (albeit very few!) when he'll cuddle with me and allow me to scratch his head. Oh and he allows me to give him treats like peanuts.

He does step-up for me and he isn't afraid of me, he just doesn't want me petting him.

Is there any chance of the two of us becoming life-long, head scratching, cuddle bugging friends?

:) Don't worry, this takes time, your baby hasn't even unpacked the baggage yet. keep doing what your doing, don't rush and don't lit baby know it upsets you. Grey's don't usually cuddle, so if you get a cuddle, your one of the few. Things are going to change, some you'll like, some you won't. But yes, with trust, there's a good chance you baby will come around to you!!!:)

Jayd

Jay is spot on.

FYI - We raised our grey from a wee lad.

Now my wife is Dayos head scratching cuddle muffin and I am the ok to ride around on, step up for, get food from person, but head scratches and other personal activities are for my wife only. I would say maybe once a month, he will put his head down for a scratch with me, then divide that by half due to the 50 chance of it being a sucker flip the head around quickly and bit me. :)

But, I take what I can get. :P

So just keep doing what your doing as Jay said. You just never know!

Okay - thanks guys!!! I'll be patient while he unpacks his bags and gets to know us. I guess I just have remember he really is the new boss of the house. He has made that known to the dogs and cats, and I suppose I'm a little late to the party.

Better late than never!

I agree with Dan and Jayd, it just takes time but continue to do what you are doing and one day he may surprise you, but count yourself lucky, would you rather it was reversed with only you being the one able to pet him and the other 6 expecting bites, I don't think so.;)