NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help plz :P

jessdecutie18

I am trying to make my husband understand why ignoring a screaming bird is a good idea rather than getting all irritated and yelling 'No!' and making a big scene. He tells me that 'At least when I yell no! she shuts up for a couple minutes!' Could someone sum it up better than I how ignoring would work or link me to a good short article about it?

Thanks... I'm not so good at explaining things to him and he doesn't have the time to read tons of information so I'm just trying to simplify it for him. I just feel that his super annoyed reactions and yelling No! at her aren't going to do anything good...

In a nutshell, Your right, yelling back will encourage the behavior.

Things like irritating noises will decrease if you ignore them or respond with a differnt sound you would like to replace it with. But, this takes time an patience.

It's difficult I know to ignore the screaming. I think yelling back at them can do two things, one they enjoy the reaction & do it all the more for the reaction or two they get scared by the yelling & it damages the relationship between grey & the person yelling. Maybe if you tell him this it might change his mind, as either way yelling will result in nothing good.

I'm still having shrieking issues with Murphy & have been trying my hardest to ignore the shrieking but the one time I yelled at him to shut up, he didn't want to know me for over a day. :( I then realised how sensitive these little greys can be.

Maybe print this small article off for him to read http://www.wikihow.com/Train-Parrots-to-Make-Less-Noise

Also let him know that there are other people out there that are going through the same thing, it might make him feel a little better.

Here is a link to an excellent breakdown on screaming behavior and the whys and why nots. http://www.goodbirdinc.com/parrot-behavior-problems.html#4

He is filling that birds need for attention with negative attention rather than positive trust building behavior, parrots prefer negative attention to no attention at all and he is feeding into that drama they love to imitate. try to keep those interactions positive to help guide the sounds you want rather than reinforcing those you cannot tolerate.

Edited by Greywings

Tell your husband to Whistle when he screams, birds LOVE to mimic whistling. It may take some time, but if he keeps it up, it might replace the screaming instead of offering the reinforcement of attention your bird is getting from your husband. Good or bad attention, your bird will take whatever attention he can get when he screams, thus encouraging it.

:)You couldn't get better answers then have been posted here!, As a side note, sometimes in screaming, biting and similar situations, the bird "thinks" you like it, so they do it to please you! Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't!:P

Jayd

Most pet behavior problems are really problems with the owners, not the pet. Your husband is proving to be one of these "problem" owners and he's perpetuating the issue with his reaction. I hope he reads those articles and takes the advice to heart. Good luck!

• Haha 1

Thanks again for all the advice. My husband and I have talked about it and we are BOTH ignoring Yoshi's screaming together, and trying to prevent it before she can start by keeping her busy. Haven't had any real progress yet, but then she hasn't gotten louder or anything either, so I'll have to do an update next weekend :) I'm just glad we are both on the same team, and while he is still doubtful, my husband has read the provided information as well as replies on my previous posts and agrees to give ignoring a try.

Right now Yoshi is happy as can be, on my shoulder playing with my hair... I sure do love her <3