NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

twins- jackson and cricket

tanyab

The twins are doing real good.Sorry to say Ive been so busy these past few day that Ive not got to play with the much. My son Isaac has had lots to do at school these last days of the year Band, AP TEST and clubs dinners. ect....They are climbing and playing and eatting carrot,peppers,and noodles and I gave them some beak appetit. which they liked.Jayd post few new pics the other day of them.

also we have named them Jackson is mine and his the bigger grey and cricket is the smaller grey.Thanks again...:rolleyes:

the twins are doing good....Jackson eat great this morning but not so good tonite.35cc or so. I give try to make him eat more but he just want. he spits it out or he will climb into the back of the cage. cricket always eats good. ppl food and form.i have had the men back fixing my porch using hammers and tools that really upset them tonite. Jackson got real upset with the new noises from out side,maybe that why he didnt eat much. i held him along time after they left but who knows with jackson. he has a mind of his on.Maybe he will eat in the morn better.cricket mommy came tonite to play with her, shes not been over in a week.which im glad she came over.sorry ive not posted much but this week has been crazy and will be till school is out on next tuesday, busy time...thanks for the great post and all the help

can i add some more toys and porches???They both ate real good this morning.

Hi Tanya, so glad that the babies are doing so well...:D It is so tempting at this age to want to add more stuff for them but they are still very clumsy at this age....it could be very easy for them to fall and seriously hurt themselves...my personal experience (only)...when Spock was that age, we kept a lot of different toys around outside but only had one perch and his bowls in his cage (with a towel barrier around the bottom for him) and a couple of hanging toys next to his perch. Call me overprotective...lol...:o:pI have always been that way with our boys and all our fids....hahahaha...I'm glad that they both like the Beak Appetit also... it is a very good product. We like to feed our babies up to around a year+ what we like to call "food for life". This is basically food they will be eating forever. We personally don't introduce specialty foods until after this age. For example, in your case where you'll be giving up one of the babies, it might be wiser not to introduce foods that the new "parront" might not feed them. Pellets, seeds, fresh veggies and fresh fruits and treats that you know the new "parront" will continue to give him and what you plan on giving them as a staple diet might sound boring but what you are doing is establishing healthy eating habits that your babies can build on. When you do introduce something new, introduce one thing at a time...

Thank you and keep up the great job!!!:D

Maggie

ok,understand.Jackson dont climb on the outside of his cage yet.should he be?i didnt put no porches in his cage but i did put a box chewy hanging toy in early today and his play with it all afternoon. i hate to take it away.yes they are still climby. Im sorry but ive not been puting a blanket in the cage till bed time.which they know when its coming in the door of the cage they get on it for bed.

Yes i agree with the food. i only gave them that one day to see if they would like it as a treat.I give them pellits and seeds together and i offer ppl food also. not sure what the other mommy is going to feed cricket. i asked last night but she didnt know. most likly seeds.i dont want jackson on seeds alone.should i give two bowls in now?one with seeds and the other pellits?i want jackson to eat more pellits.also,i give them a tiny bite a p.butter in there form. jackson wouldnt eat his form but maybe 30cc but now when i put p.butter in it he eats it much better.

also when can i offer a outside porch to sit on???jackson still is scared to be outside of his cage..i dont want him to be cage territorial.

and the other mommy told me today that she will be taken her grey home next week...i tryed to talk her out of it but nope.so, i told her i would write down everything about her...i know she shouldnt take her but it is her grey...im going to miss her so much....its like losen my baby..im so sad about the idea..

It's ok to put a outside perch, good idea! :D Has your friend feed cricket yet? I'm really worried!:( Have pellets in the cage all the time, put a separate bowl of seeds in the afternoon then remove them at night!

Let her read this:

Hi Crickets Mama, It's very unsafe to take your baby home right now, you should wait till Cricket has flown, even if your going to clip her, and she should be eating only one feeding a day of formula! It would take only one wrong feeding to aspirate cricket and cause death! You also should feed Cricket the exact same food as Tanya has, seed's alone are bad, They need more pellets then seed. Please reconsider and wait a little longer to take cricket home! I speak the truth that Cricket won't bond any better by you hand feeding her. Many people have been told that the bond between bird and owner will be deeper if the pet owner handfeeds his bird. This is not true. A deeper bond may occur on the part of the owner, but the disadvantages and the risks are too great. A mature and educated buyer will have no problem bonding with a tame, responsive, weaned baby bird. A baby bird can and will bond to a human he can trust after the weaning period. Many birds have bonded with second and third owners. http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww7eii.htm

Thank you

Jayd

Edited by Jayd

Thanks Jayd,i will pass it along.

ok, i didnt know i had to take food up at night...ill start that also ill use two bowls . one with seeds and the other with pellits. also, how do u aspirte????what does that mean?? how much seeds and pellits do they need a day.?once again jackson didnt eat good tonite..maybe 30 cc....he eats better in the morn.

Thanks Jayd,i will pass it along.

ok, i didnt know i had to take food up at night...ill start that also ill use two bowls . one with seeds and the other with pellits. also, how do u aspirte????what does that mean?? how much seeds and pellits do they need a day.?once again jackson didnt eat good tonite..maybe 30 cc....he eats better in the morn.

Leave nice big bowls of food, leave the pellets all the time, fresh food , please remove after 2 or 3 hours, and seeds leave afternoon till bedtime! Please let Cricket Mama read this to!! Jayd

• Crop burn - Improperly heated formula can have hot spots. Babies will eat scalding hot formula which can burn away the esophagus and/or the crop. If the burn is very serious, the baby will die. Some burns can be treated by implanting a feeding tube in the crop, but the esophagus must be intact for the bird to live after the tube is removed.

Some crop burns will make a fistula to the outside of the body. If the burned area is small, the baby often can be saved by cutting away the dead crop area and stitching it together, leaving a smaller but functional crop. This has to be watched very carefully by an avian vet as the flesh often continues to die.
  • Crop stasis - Formula that sits in the warm environment of the crop can sour or become contaminated from the small number of impurities in the handfeeding formula. The formula powder is not sterile. Often the body will draw on the fluid in the formula to hydrate the body and the food can get compacted in the crop. Delayed emptying of the crop is very serious and needs immediate attention.

Bacterial, fungal and yeast infections can also cause a crop to stop emptying. Everything that touches or is in contact with a baby must be clean. Babies pick up gram positive bacteria from the environment - the handfeeder's responsibility is to make sure they don't pick up gram negative bacteria, yeast or fungal spores. Babies don't have the reserves, or a fully competent immune system, to be able to ward off these contaminants.
  • Aspiration - This occurs when large or small amounts of formula enter the baby's lungs. When the babies aren't given time to swallow or the mouth is flooded, aspiration is a real possibility. Care must be taken with the very liquid formula/water mixtures required by neonates. If a small amount of formula is aspirated, the body may be able to encapsulate it and wall it off from the rest of the body. If the amount of formula aspirated is large, the baby will die immediately - there is no treatment.

Edited by Jayd

Aspirate means when you feed the baby formula it goes into the respiratory system instead of into the crop, death can occur, since you have been doing it you are more experienced and you should continue to do it until her's is weaned, she can still bond with hers after that. I really wish she would listen to us and do what is best for the health of her grey.

Leave pellets in the cage at all time but remove the seeds before they go to bed, thats what Jay means.

Thats scarry...i will pass it along.When i feed jackson,when i first feed jackson he eats real good then after 20cc he acts like he dont want it nomore then I feel his mouth full bc he spits half of it out on me.maybe i shouldnt do that I think im feeding him wroung...I just try to make sure i get as much as i can down him..i dont let his ppl food stay out that long and ill start taking up there food at night.Ill jackson more pellits then aseeds bc his going to be on pellits.i dontlike him eatting alot of seeds bc he want eat the pellits.he like sunflower seeds and the shell pnuts.

Ok thanks judy..i wasnt sure about the pellits and seed thing. they are in bed now and ill start taking seeds out before bed tomorrow night and i need to put in diff. bowls also.

i so do agree with you and jayd.ive tryed to talk to her but she is head on taking her grey...i will pass this along to her.

also when are they out of the asprited stage??that really scares me..

.he like sunflower seeds and the shell pnuts.
Remember " shell pnuts." NEVER!!! and very few sunflower seeds, only 2 or 3 a day! A s they get older, it still can happen. I still hand feed Spock, and it scares me each time I do it...Luv

• Crop burn - Improperly heated formula can have hot spots. Babies will eat scalding hot formula which can burn away the esophagus and/or the crop. If the burn is very serious, the baby will die. Some burns can be treated by implanting a feeding tube in the crop, but the esophagus must be intact for the bird to live after the tube is removed.

Some crop burns will make a fistula to the outside of the body. If the burned area is small, the baby often can be saved by cutting away the dead crop area and stitching it together, leaving a smaller but functional crop. This has to be watched very carefully by an avian vet as the flesh often continues to die.
  • Crop stasis - Formula that sits in the warm environment of the crop can sour or become contaminated from the small number of impurities in the handfeeding formula. The formula powder is not sterile. Often the body will draw on the fluid in the formula to hydrate the body and the food can get compacted in the crop. Delayed emptying of the crop is very serious and needs immediate attention.

Bacterial, fungal and yeast infections can also cause a crop to stop emptying. Everything that touches or is in contact with a baby must be clean. Babies pick up gram positive bacteria from the environment - the handfeeder's responsibility is to make sure they don't pick up gram negative bacteria, yeast or fungal spores. Babies don't have the reserves, or a fully competent immune system, to be able to ward off these contaminants.
  • Aspiration - This occurs when large or small amounts of formula enter the baby's lungs. When the babies aren't given time to swallow or the mouth is flooded, aspiration is a real possibility. Care must be taken with the very liquid formula/water mixtures required by neonates. If a small amount of formula is aspirated, the body may be able to encapsulate it and wall it off from the rest of the body. If the amount of formula aspirated is large, the baby will die immediately - there is no treatment.

Edited by Jayd

Ok im getting worried, jackson didnt eat but 20 cc maybe but spit some out this morning. didnt eat much last night also.his playing and talking like norm. the poop is green wormy...this morn. i put seeds and pellits in diff. bowls.

cricket ate good and she like norm.

im going to weigh them tonite when donna get home to help me with them.ill let you know.

how would u like to tell you about his poop its green wormy looking. not runny,... solid ...he haS BEEN EATTING SEEDS TODAY.which i dont loike i want him to eat more pellits. I have grad. tonite with Isaac but will be home about 9ish.i can send a pic in the morning of his poop....also he hates Isaac. Isaac is tryinbg to so hard be friends with him and he get all puffed up when isaac is around.isaac has never done anything to scare him but he just dont like him...

:DHi Tanya, glad to hear everything is okay. I have written my version of the BABY BIRDIE MUFFIN BREAD that I make up for our fids (of course I make a few minor modifications...but this is the basics...)

This is a very easy recipe to whip up and can be frozen in portions so you just need to take out what you need and the rest can keep...:)

• one box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix

• Three eggs

• Two small jars of organic baby food (i.e. Sweet Potatoes, Corn, Applesauce, etc)

• One tablespoon of baby formula

Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8"x8" lightly. In a large bowl, add the Cornbread mix, the three eggs (it is easier if you beat the eggs first before adding them to the mix), the two jars of baby food and the tablespoon of baby formula and stir all together until just mixed. (Too much stirring will result in tough mix). Pour into the pan and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. (You can insert a toothpick in the middle of it and if it comes out clean and dry, your bread is done).

Let your bread cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting it in small squares. You can freeze the squares individually and take out and warm them in the microwave before serving.

I hope this will be helpful for you and your babies...

Maggie

ooo wow Thanks maggie.i will fix these this weekend.I just got home and its so late. I feed them and jackson ate real good tonite. 50cc or so.cricket eats always good. u can tell they love those seeds but i really dont want jackson on seeds but for treats.i will wiegh tomorrow. i feed them and put them to bed.which they was ready....

good morning.

I meant to ask how much bready bread they can have at a time??i will get pics in this weekend...clean cages and jackson has to help by trying to catch the rag to clean with..he likes to play tuk of war...

good morning.

I meant to ask how much bready bread they can have at a time??i will get pics in this weekend...clean cages and jackson has to help by trying to catch the rag to clean with..he likes to play tuk of war...

Hi sweetheart, if they like it, they will probably [?] eat about a chunk the size of a tablespoon, give it to them in the after noon or after breakfast if you like.Jackson's cute!!!

Maggie