NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Scary toy!

George Is usually never afraid of new toys. I can come home with a new toy hang it in the cage and 2 mins later he will be playing with it. Well the other day i decided to make him a toy and he is terrified of it. Just goes to show im not very talented Lol Oh well it comes in handy to leave on important paper work so he wont go near it! ;)

Come on now - don't just give up! Just figure out what's scary. Too big? Smells funny? Tastes bad? Makes weird sounds? Wrong colors or shapes? Moves or hangs in a threatening way?

My Grey's afraid of everything. I have to really work to figure out the acceptable 2%. For instance, Phenix is terrified of florescent, translucent plastic parts (guess how long it took me to figure that one out).

I think making bird toys is a terrific way to understand my fids. It saves me tons of money. It helps me give them a greater variety of things in their environment. It gives me a real high when I get it right & someone jumps on a new one & doesn't leave it alone all day. Like giving someone the absolutely perfect Christmas present any day of the year.

You got lucky with the way George accepts store bought toys. Maybe you just need a few tries to get it right. Honest, you'll know if was worth the effort once you figure it out.

It has a body, wings & a tail. It's got true red. I don't think I can explain that in a human way, but I can see it as being threatening to the bird. Maybe it just moves wrong.

Maybe take out the red ribbon & stick something that doesn't float into the ball. Qtips, popsicle stick, straw maybe. Could roll up paper or crunch up a kleenex or coffee filter.

Oh Delma - you're right - you're not very talented! That looks like something I would make!!! All it needs is a scary face drawn in and George will pack his bags and leave!! Just a little advice though - DON'T GO SHOWING IT TO THE BABY!!!

Ah, only joking 10/10 for effort - I can't make a thing, so you've gone one step further than I ever could......and even braver by posting a picture!!! Great - love it!!

Keep trying! I'm sure you'll figure a great toy for George!

We found something similarly scary for cosmo the other day. My daughter found a couple of those plastic easter eggs while cleaning her closet. My wife washed them and offered them to Cosmo. Lots of puffy bird growling ensued.