NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

molting?

crossfit

When do baby birds go through their first molt? I know that in our climates they tend to molt constantly rather than all in one season but I noticed two tail feathers at the bottom of Hawkins sleep cage. There was no sign they had been chewed or pulled but now I am paranoid. He is just 6 months old tomorrow. I do think I see new red feathers growing in under the old ones though but I just wanted some reassurance or someone who knows to tell me to do something if needed. Also, what triggers molting? I know for my chickens it is the length of daylight hours but I have no clue for any other type of bird.

Hi...how are you? A Grey's first big molt usually starts around a year old and takes a long time...a couple of feathers at a time. On the red tail feathers you found, check and see if they are pulled out (nice smooth point) or bitten (which leaves a jagged edge). Please let us know... You should mist your baby with aloe vera juice (you can purchase it at Walmart) a couple of times along with your normal bathing. Feed your baby more protein, ie. tuna in water, salmon, chicken breast or turkey (all cooked). Molting is a high-stressed/nutritionally depleting time. Attached is an excellent article on molting which I'm sure you'll enjoy. Jayd

http://www.2ndchance.info/molt.htm

Thanks. This is helpful. The feathers were pulled cleanly. No ragged edges. I was worried as we ran out of his harrisons and he was eating a different brand for four days while the Harrisons was being shipped. I won't let that happen again. I have aloe and can do that easily. In fact, I was looking for the thread about that earlier. He has seemed to me to be itchy. Just from observation he seems to be scratching a bit more. It has also gotten really hot, really suddenly here so it might just be due to the humidity being lower rather abruptly. I have a hygragometer or whatever they are called that measures humidity. I will try him out tonight on some chicken. That is what we are having for dinner as well.

Jay gave great advice.

Also, when playing hard, landing hard etc.. They sometimes damage the tail feathers. Once their body detects a feather is damaged, it starts the process of build a bew tail feather which then pushes the damaged feather out. Unless you see them physically yank a feather out of the socket, you cannot possibly know if it molted out naturally due to damage or was plucked.

I had the same thoughts as you when my grey was young, clumbsy and rolling around with toys (which he still does) and he lost a tail feather or two.