NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

birds flying onto other birds cages

winstonboy

Hello,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I have had my grey since June of 2009. We decided to let Winston grow his feathers out and learn to fly. He has been doing great and seems to enjoy it. So the problem is that we also have two other cages, one cage is for our parakeets and the other is for our Patagonian Conure. The conure is about 8 years old and has flown around in our house all of her life. Now that Winston has fight he is flying onto our Conures cage and if she is out on top of her cage Winston tries to attack her. It's a big deal cause we don't want her to get hurt and so we run over there (which gets everybody all excited, our dog and the birds) and grab our bird stick and get Winston to do a step up. Also when Winston flies onto the parakeet cage he tries to attack them through the bars of the cage. I don't understand why he is being so "protective" or "aggressive". I'm at a loss of what to do and I would rather not trim his wing feather to where he can't fly cause I feel it's important for birds to have their flight.

What do you all think I should do in this situation.

Thanks,

Hello again, This is a copy of my 1st reply.

Greetings and welcome to the forum...When you get a chance stop by our Welcome room and introduce yourselves...Sometimes it's slow here on the week ends...The best thing to do is keep your conure and keets in a separate room.[sorry] Your conure was flock leader till Winston came along, you can try but I don't think it will work now, is to separate Winston from your other birds for a few days, then introduce Winston to your conure,This means your conure gets greeted first, spoken to 1st, 1st new toy, held 1st,etc, etc. Winston will always be 2nd. Unless they were raised together, chances are slim that Winston will leave them alone. I hope you don't clip anyone's wings, it could devastate either one of them...Thanks Jayd

This is a common question, sometimes people feel a reply given is ok..Why don't you start a thread in the Welcome and introduction room, Tell us something about yorrself and your fids, and mention you made another thread in Cages & Homes!!! Welcome again...Jayd