NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Training Help

parry103

Hi guys,

Im hoping for some help with my orange winged amazon if possible.

I was given my bird from a friend who in turn had him from someone else. Neither of his homes had the time for him and try to tame him in any way. Now he is my i would love to calm him as he is very nervous and hopefully one day be able to touch him.

What is the best way to begin training without stressing him out?

I hope someone can help as he is a stunning bird with a lovely personality.

Thanks,

Beth

Welcome Beth! Glad you found us. We have a Amazon Room, have you seen it yet? Questions? How old is your baby? Is he clipped?, Was he DNA'ed? What kind of diet is he on? Mae a post in the Amazon room, and we'll all do all we can to help you.....Thanks. Jayd P.S. We love photo's

You never said how old your new bird is and how long you've had him but there's a certain set of things that can be tried in order to handle a pre owned bird The main situation that can cause problems is the fact that the bird has been owned by a few people and has developed habits from each household.

There's plenty of things that a pre owned bird has to get used to in his new home---household habits---new people----other pets----new environment----general hustle and bustle of the house etc etc. That usually takes months, not weeks. The bird has to first feel assured and comfortable in it's new house. Lots of talking to the bird, having the bird in the middle of everything that goes on in the house on a daily basis. The bird has to learn your habits, the families's habits. Immediate intense physical handling is not a good idea right now. At this time, it's not a good idea to have lots of strangers constantly hanging around your bird. There's a couple of 'classification' names that apply to all pre owned adult parrots that're adopted. One is 'the bird has a past history' and the other is 'the bird has some baggage attached'. Most of the time, history and baggage can't be totally gotten rid of. It can be modified though as soon as your new bird realizes that many things are now different.

The best thing to do right now is to say to yourself that "I shouldn't be disappointed if everything I hope will happen doesn't happen". Having that attitude allows you to see the many other great features of your new bird and will help you to enjoy and appreciate them. It'll take some time though. I've dealt with other species, amazons included. Some of them were serious biters. Others are very nervous or paranoid or untrustingThey had problems that had nothing to do with you. Whatever the situation is, it came from other places. Through the years, my wife and I and friends of mine have worked with different species, some for a short amount of time and others a longer amount of time working with them for quite a while, We succeeded in lessening their situations but not all.

Handling your bird is an individual thing because your bird has it's own personality unlike any other bird even though it might be the same species. The best thing to do right now is to say to yourself that "I shouldn't be disappointed if everything I hope will happen doesn't happen". Having that attitude allows you to see the many other great features of your new pre owned bird and will help you to enjoy and appreciate them. Having that attitude allows you to see the many other great features of your new bird.

I would recommend that you position a chair at a comfortable distance from the cage (you can determine what the bird's comfort level is by his reaction to the position of the chair), sit quietly and read the newspaper or magazine aloud and incorporate the bird's name into the narrative. Have a quantity of very small treats handy. When/if the bird starts to show interest, offer the small treat. He may accept it; he may throw it on the floor. This isn't unusual.

You should try to find a treat the bird likes and that means you'll have to search around a bit. Many birds like pine nuts, pecans, almonds, crushed bits of Nutriberries, a quarter piece of grape, etc. Experiment to determine what treat the bird likes best and use this treat at no other time except when you are offering it, whether the bird is in his cage or on the playstand or cage, etc. That'll let the bird associate you with a treat. The treat should be a healthy one which is why I suggest different types of nuts.

So, be patient. These are things that will show the bird that pressure isn't being put on him. The best thing in training is for the bird to feel relaxed. This is individual training for a person that has one bird and lots of attention can easily be given to one bird. You need to take it real slow and remember that you're dealing with an adult bird and you don't really know the complete every day history of that bird, just general things.

Edited by Dave007

Thankyou Dave007, Thats good advice. I have had him for a while so he is comfortable with us being by him, i can also open his cage and hand him a treat but thats as far as it goes. If i put my hand near him without a treat, he doesnt like it at all, sqwarkes and tries to bite. We open his cage and let him out, but again we cant go to close. Luckily he will retuen to his cage himself. I sit and talk to him and sometimes even sing when the music is on and he joins in if he likes it. Is there a way i can increase his trust and move on with him? He hasnt been dna tested, i just say "HE" as he was named Billy and I have no idea of age unfortunalty.

Thanks again,

beth

Edited by parry103

Beth, just continue to do what you are doing, talking to him while he is in the cage, believe me he is listening but the trust you will just have to earn and you have to be patient for there is no timetable for when it will happen but consistency is key.

As always Dave has given you some excellent advice.

Well, I don't know whether he'll bite you when you try to take out food and water bowls if he's in the cage but if he does, you'll have to go along with that habit of his. It's best to do all of these things while he's out of the cage, on the cage or on a playstand. If he has this habit, it'll probably remain but that type of habit isn't unusual. many people who have parrots have to go through the same thing even thogh they've owned the bird from when it was a baby.

"""""He hasnt been dna tested, i just say "HE" """"""

That really isn't important anymore. The fact is that he has habits that've developed in each previous home. Honestly, some of those things should have been addressed immediately but unfortunately, people often ignore things because they think problems will just pass but they don't.

As far as handling without biting, a good method to try out is the perch method meaning that you can use a long perch in order for him to hop on it. It also takes a long time because many times, a bird will show fear. It's a very gradual method. But if you can manage to bring your bird into a room that is quiet, has a door on it. You may have to wrap him in a towel to get him in that room. You can make slow contact with your bird with that long perch as long as it's quiet and no one else is around. If you're somewhat successful, start to use a slightly shorter perch. If that's successful, than use a slightly shorter perch. Doing this allows your bird to lessen it's fear of your hand/fingers/ arms. If you're totally successful, your bird will step up onto your finger. From the very start always include treats. To him, treats from you equals nice things from you. Have many toys that you and he can handle at the same time. That too takes quite a while to accomplish. Expect squawks, screams, yelling and growling and your bird trying to fly away. That's why I recommend a room with a door. Notice that no matter what I say, it includes "takes time*. Eventually, people who have birds with similar problems start to realize that *time* is the key. Don't put any type of time limits on what you're doing. One bird may need 3 mts to accomplish something, another bird need 1 mt for the exact same problem. You have a job ahead of you but you have one good thing going for you in that he knows you very well. Others aren't that lucky. Patience, patience, patience, patience.

Thankyou all for taking the time to read and reply to my thread, its very much appreciated. In answer to danmcq, im not sure of his age as im his third home. Also, thankyou for the link, very interesting reading. Im going to start with the pirch training so please keep your fingers crossed for me. The kids are back at school so i have all day with him again. I will keep you up-dated on how it goes and hopefully get a picture of him on here soon.

Thanks again,

Beth

• 4 weeks later...

HI , i have a bird in a similar situation . Hope you are doing good with yours ! I have a question which sounds silly , my madam does not except treats from my hand . HOw would you give them ? i put them in a bowl and eventually she takes them . Any advise of how to gat her to take them from m hand ?Thank you for any help !

You say that you put them in a bowl and eventually she takes them. So, she doesn't immediately rush over to the bowl to get it, just goes and gets it when she's ready?

If so, you may wanna try a different type of treat such as almond nuts. That's not only a treat but has vitamins in it and most birds can't resist them. First, put a couple in the bowl to let her know what it is then if she's accepted them as a favorite, try hand feeding one to her. A bird is more likely to take something from the hand when the item is something she can't resist.

I really want to thank you for your reply Dave and you are right one would think that she would go for her favorite treat - well she loves sees , sunflower seed and i have taken it of her menu completely for about 4 weeks - she was on pellets only , and no luck she has the patience to wait until i leave far enough for her to feel unthreatend. I tried all kind of things - pine , almonds , peanuts grapes , but i will not give up and just accept her stuborn ness as a challange for me . I just feel she could be so much happier if she would let me befriend her .WEll maybe one day ! i keep trying and again thanks for ur time

but i will not give up and just accept her stuborn ness as a challange for me .

I like that and with that attitude you will succeed eventually but you now understand why we preach time and patience with our birds, you cannot rush the training with a bird, do keep us informed of any progress but I predict she will take those treats from your hand one day.