NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A second bird.... some questions...

Knight05

I've been speaking to a bird behavior therapist in my local san diego area. She has been working with me and helping me to get my almost 3 yrs old now CAG "Chloe" to work on some behavior issues. Screeching, whining, light biting etc. We have basically stemmed it down to Chloe devloping most of these problems we believe from lack of attention. Toys are one way to handle this but Chloe is skiddish and un willing to attempt new toys even when I introduce them slowly so thats sort of a dead avenue.

The other option she she suggested was a risky yet highly rewarding one shoud it suceed. That procedure is to purchase another bird. She said a CAG would be optimal but really any bird could work but the larger the bird the more intimidated she might be and the harder to bond. Basically since my GF and I work from 8 am- 5 pm daily and only play with her till 8-9 pm when we go to bed except weekends she suggested I get chloe a buddy. A bird that could sit in another cage maybe 3-4 feet away and they could see and interact with each other without stressing each other or fighting being in the same cage.

If it works it could make her less active with me im aware of that as long as I could still pick her up and interact with her mildly. I could live without being her best buddy again if it meant she was happy having a lil buddy. But then theres the worst case scenario which is they hate each other and it doesnt help the problem then I'm stuck with 2 birds. Which would be fine with me but then it wouldnt fix anything. The other thing is: If I did get another bird I've always had my heart set on a umbrella cockatoo but the doctor said a grey would be highly preferred since theyre flock birds and comfortable more so with their own. So Can I get the cockatoo and get away with it or do I have to get a grey? And do I get another female or a male?

Just need some general advice or insight into this subject if you guys could since ur the suject matter experts.

P.S. Long time no see how ya'all doin :) Love ya *hugs*

I dont know too much about, But Welcome back! lol

I know it is better to get another bird and keep it in a differant cage like your saying or else they will bond to each other and less to you...And I also think I read on here a while back, it doesnt have to be another grey, Just having another "bird or parrot" in the house could help "keep her company" you could say.

The others will be more helpful I am sure. But I would say go ahead and get your Umbrella Cockatoo. Just dont give it more attention that Chloe. Actually You would want to give Chloe even MORE attention so she doesnt feel like she is being replaced.

Thats my opinion if it matters haha!

Greetings, we have a number of birds, 2 rescues TOO's, a Grey rescue[Joey],3yr's old, a young Grey [spock] and Salsa, our Amazon, etc. The Grey's and amazon interact, 1 Too interacts with Spock the young Grey. They are all free flying! A TOO, can be more demanding than a Grey! They all require a very lot of attention, and there is jealousy at times. Some of the diet is different for each of them. Yes, they coexist, at a cost, attention!!!

Thanks

\Jayd

It's great that folks like Jayd provide homes for rescues. There are so many of our little feathered buddies that need it.

From our experience, breed hasn't mattered when it comes to socializing our fids until we added another fid of the same breed. As an example, we at one point had the two greys and introduced our sun conure, Maddox. Leo, one of the greys, took to him immediately and they became best buddies. However, when we got a cage-mate for Maddox, a gold-capped conure, Maddox wouldn't have anything more to do with Leo. It's a complex dynamic and unfortunately you can't hold try-outs, but, I think that having a solo fid is only really a good idea if you're home a lot. They do need a ton of social interaction and another bird will definitely help.

Good luck, and it sounds like you're a great parront.

I'll have to disagree about getting a cockatoo. An amazon with fit into your situation. The needs of a grey or amazon or totally different than a cockatoo. A TOO is a very clingy bird and requires lots of hands on attention as far as people being at home. A grey can put up with being alone although being around any parrot is better. The worst thing a person can do with a TOO is to keep him in a cage all day. They will easily pluck their feathers and in general develop sad personalities. Another very important thing to know is that TOOs are screechers and sometimes screamers. That's built into them. Macaws are the same way. In many shelters/rescure centers, there's an overload of TOOs simply because of their noise and neurotic behavior when left alone. It doesn't matter whether another bird is right next to them in another cage. One bird(grey) can put up with being alone. The other(TOO) needs to have a lot of physical contact with a person and needs alot of time out of a cage. A TOO isn't for a person/persons who are out from 8 to 5 PM on a daily basis.

PS--many people have had to give up their TOOs because of constant complaints from neighbors concerning their noise and extreme plucking/chewing situations. This doesn't apply to every single TOO that exists but the ones that don't have this problem are in the minority.

Edited by Dave007

As from last week i became the owner of two greys my first was buster.We have had him over a year now and i had the chance to own a female grey so we went for it and never looked back its only been a week but all is good there not bothered by each other, There talking to each other but the down side there is twice the noise i would go for a grey then any other bird but thats me hope you make the right chioce .

Welcome back Spence, haven't seen you in a long time but Dave is right, a cockatoo would be a very bad choice for someone who is not home during the day, I love cockatoos also with the rose breasted being my favorite but I know I don't have the time to give to one right now. I think another grey or maybe an amazon would be a better choice for you. Cockatoos are given up more frequently than any other species of birds simply because they are so needy and loud.

Yeah thats true you guys, I forgot how needy those little beauties are. I have never gotten one for this reason. They need attention like a dog or something, or maybe even more I have heard. I know of people that have had to get rid off all thier other animals because of a cockatoo. :(

So they are great but in the right family. ;)

That's also a good choice. Male, female, it doesn't make any difference. You just need to remember that as with any other bird you might choose, there's a chance they won't like each other. There's no way to tell what that situation would be like but I can tell you that different species actually have a better chance of getting along than with another bird of the same species. Greys will fight and bite at times. That's because each species knows the how the other one thinks, have the same mentality, can be equally jealous and possessive etc. If you have outdoor wild birds flying around, you'll always notice that 2 or 3 or 4 different species will get along quite well when they're at feeders all together but if another one comes by who is the same species, you'll see lots of pecking and challenging to get to the food first. One will try to chase the other away. The most aggressive of all of those birds are hummingbirds who will chase each other away and chase each other for long distances.

Edited by Dave007

My two cent's, From experience, Get a Orange wing or Yellow nape Amazon weaned baby, let your Grey be flock leader. [see my avatar] Their low maintenance, and wonderful birds. Check out the "Amazon" room here on the forum!!!!Jayd :)

Note: I said "from experience" but that don't mean you'll have the same luck that I have.......

Edited by Jayd

Hey Spencer, welcome back! I agree with Jay, I love the amazons, and if I got another bird, it would definately be an amazon. The Too's are gorgeous, but a handful and a half. The other question that I'd want to look at before I did anything, would be dietary issues. I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to make different bird meals. I could handle some slight variations, but I'd prefer birds who were somewheat similar for time and expense issues. Good luck, let us know how things go. You might be the one to push me into the amazon if you find this to be a real success.

I have an older rehomed male Eclectus and he is the sweetest bird in the world. My Ana Grey always dive bombs him if I am working with Sully as she is very jealous. My eclectus does like to be with me in the same room and he can shriek very loudly but he is very low maintenance. Eclectus can be pluckers however and I am still working with Sully in this regard. I can't wait for all his flight feathers to return and hopefully his muscles will grow strong enough for him to fly again. He was clipped for at least 7 years before I rehomed him.