NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Our greys outside

Jane08

So it's that time of the year again when our feathered friends are going outside, which is a great time to ask all the questions about how to protect them outside and from what.

First question, can our greys get ticks? Last night I saw Rangi had a small dark spot just above his eye and I thought it might be a tick, but it's so hard to see. I have had both of them outside for the last 2 days.

The other pest that I was wondering about is mosquitoes, we have them so big here that they bite through your clothing and leave big red welts. In the evening I take the birds in as I am afraid that they will get bitten.

Heat and sunburn. I guess like any pet our greys can get sunburn, so I only leave them in the sun for 10min or so and then move them into the shade. I also watch out for the heat as those feathers are great insulation and I am guessing it wouldn't take long for a grey to heat up. I have heard adding ice cubes to their water when they are outside is a good idea. I also spray them with water to cool them down.

Any other nasties that we should watch out for when we take our greys outside?

They don't get ticks or mosquitoes. Both need bare skin in order to bite. Both need to stay on skin in order to inject an anesthetic before drawing blood. Neighther of these bugs bite wild birds either. What they can contract is mites and a bird needs some time outside before that happens. All wild birds outside have mites starting with the tiniest to the largest birds and it doesn't matter if they're softbills or hookbills. Protecting from the sun like you're doing, too much sun isn't good at all. Anyone keeping their parrots outside needs to provide an area where the parrot can get under when they've had enough sun. That's why they don't get sunburned. A parrot knows when to get out of the sun. Sometimes people don't know how much sun a grey or other parrot can handle. Greys and other parrots can pick up infections when being walked in the street. Many other animals walk that same street and you can't see what microscpotic things they've left behind.

""""I have heard adding ice cubes to their water when they are outside is a good idea.""""

That's only if they actually drink it. They don't necessarily drink water because they're hot. They'd much rather bathe themselves in cold water which most do when given very cold water.

Edited by Dave007

Nice tips :)

Yoshi loves to sit outside with an ice cube... she will nibble on it until its all gone, switching claws and catching the water that drips from the bottom while balancing on one foot. :D

She also likes the water hose set on mist, and I spray her down when we are outside :P Florida sun is hot and humid!

I had Murphy out in the garden last week & the sun had moved round & was on him. I noticed he looked a little uncomfortable so I moved him back into some shade. Later that evening I could have sworn the skin round his eyes was pinker than normal & said to myself "I wonder if they can get sunburn?"

Tobie turned a little pink when I had him out one day. I didn't notice it until the next night. He was sunburned.

The thing I most worry about when I have Tobie outside is Hawks. I recently went to a bird meeting by Phoenix landing. There was an avian vet there that told about some of the cases she had encountered in her practice. She told about a woman who had her bird with her on her porch (covered porch, I think it was) and a hawk flew down and attempted to get the womans bird. The bird escaped by flying under her car which was in the driveway. Other people who have had their birds out in cages in the yard have brought them in with bite wounds from a hawk that attacked them in the cages. I guess they had left the birds out unsupervised. I've been out with Tobie when he suddenly starts to peer upward. I never could see anything, but he sure does.

Edited by Janfromboone
add a comment

We have a ton of raptors out here. Hawks, Eagles, Owls. I've heard anecdotal accounts of hawks attacking domestic birds through window screens as well as outside while harnessed. We're VERY careful here and only take our fids out when it's totally clear above.

This has got me thinking about birds of prey around here & wondering if we have Hawks here in Worcestershire UK. I have seen a large bird of prey a few times, once one flew along side us in the car, quite amazing it was! I just don't know what species it was or are all birds of prey a danger to parrots?

Also I have a very large German Shepherd (Zeus) who patrols our garden, would a bird of prey attack with Zeus on patrol? Also don't birds of prey mainly attack at night when our greys are inside?

Also don't birds of prey mainly attack at night when our greys are inside?

Where we're at the hawks (red tail, mainly), falcons and eagles hunt at all hours. They hunt prarie dogs, snakes, bunnies, mice, and smaller birds, all of which have different hours of activity. The owls only hunt (mice) at night.

I've read anecdotal accounts of hawks that will actually fly down and go for a harnessed bird on someone's arm, as well as attacking through screened windows and outdoor cages. Hungry hawks, it appears, are desperate enough to try anything.