NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Anyone else's greys sleep on their back?

Ozzysmom

I have caught Ozzy sleeping on his back a few times, he seems to enjoy it and if we wake him up he rolls over and gets up. I have never heard of birds sleeping on their backs but a friend googled it and seems other people's greys sleep this way too.

Dayo nor any of the grey clutchs slept on their back as babies or upto now. That is an interesting behavior for a grey. Perhaps when in their tree holes in the wild, maybe they do since there is no chance of falling and being protected.

Our breeders raised cherry heads. They always sleep on their backs from the time they are born to being old enough to perch. When she would pull the box out of the brooder. All you would see in the box were 5 bellies and legs sticking up. :P

Cosmo sleeps rolled over on his side nearly on his back when taking naps on my lap :) Reminds me of my cat...

I"ll try to get a pic, but like all other cute behavior he only seems to do it when my phone is in another room :P

Harvey's 18 months old and I have NEVER seen him sleep - for all I know he lets himself out of his cage, undoes the cover, goes to the lounge and sleeps on the sofa until daybreak and then sneaks back to his cage before I get up! He's not a one for "napping" during the day, so I've never seen him with his eyes shut!!

What a strange behaviour though - but considering the positions I sometimes adopt when I'm asleep - perhaps they enjoy it!!

Oh Jill, I do feel for your poor husband, it brings new meaning to St. Michael. I can only get Paco to go on his back if I'm willing to lose my arm, he hates it! I finally caught him putting his head under his wing from the back about a month ago, other than that, he naps on one foot on my chest while I nap. I have to be careful not to snore though, otherwise he marches up my chest and pinches my nose and then stares right at me, beak to nose.